Lt. Commander
# 1 Borg and Dogs or Tribbles
03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
So I'm not that big of a Star Trek lore person, but when I heard about the Assimilated Tribbles it popped a question in my mind...in the few episodes of Star Trek I have seen the Borg are always some type of humanoid-like creature, and I've heard the phrase tossed out "what they can't assimilate they destroy", such as them fighting creatures like the shape shifting things that I don't know the name of (undine?)

Anyway, what about all these different races when it comes to...lesser intelligent life? Such as a dog or cat, or whatever the alien equivalent would be in outer space? Apparently if a Tribble can be assimilated then dogs must have too and has there ever been a "Fido6 of Nine"?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymond
So I'm not that big of a Star Trek lore person, but when I heard about the Assimilated Tribbles it popped a question in my mind...in the few episodes of Star Trek I have seen the Borg are always some type of humanoid-like creature, and I've heard the phrase tossed out "what they can't assimilate they destroy", such as them fighting creatures like the shape shifting things that I don't know the name of (undine?)

Anyway, what about all these different races when it comes to...lesser intelligent life? Such as a dog or cat, or whatever the alien equivalent would be in outer space? Apparently if a Tribble can be assimilated then dogs must have too and has there ever been a "Fido6 of Nine"?
In the Shatner-verse assimilated dogs are indeed seen being used for security purposes and as low level combat drones.

It makes alot of logical sense if you think about it considering that the collective's ability to exert its will on an assimilated life form may not be all that dependent on the life form's brain makeup.

Assimilating Dogs or Targs of Vulcan Sehlats makes sense as they all have fierce and/or 'athletic' abilities....
Likewise with alot of other larger predator animals....

But I don't see the Borg assimilating house cats or other less potent creatures except under special circumstances.

Of course.... this is all speculation.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Seems like creatures like "ferrets" would be useful for assimilating as they can fit places a humanoid borg can't.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Of course.... this is all speculation.
And none of it is canon.

In fact, there is no canonical reference to non-humanoids being assimilated by the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I thought borg were scary enough but a Borg rottweiler or some alien 20 foot tall Borg lizard? Buh-bye

"That's it man, game over man! Game Over!"
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
And none of it is canon.

In fact, there is no canonical reference to non-humanoids being assimilated by the Borg.
Two ways of looking at this:

First, my gut reaction is "no way". Borg assimilate creatures because it can improve themselves. While, this does fly in the face of common sense in retrospect, such as why Borg wouldn't assimilate claws and stuff for close-quarters combat. It does make sense in the Star Trek make-up chair, historically.

Second, why would Borg assimilate Tribbles? Maybe a better digestive system, which it should already have in-game.

There are possibilities but...meh...I can't see tribbles really being assimilated and used...unless they were hooked up to Borg car batteries and could eat food and organically change it to energy to power up a starship.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Woof Woof! Woof! Futile! Woof Woof...Woof.. Service Us...Woof..
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Canon or not...It's interesting to think about.

However most "Lesser" species would either be ignored or destroyed TBH...so Dogs, while they could potentially service the Borg....I am not really sure they would be....nor would Tribbles....
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Heck, taking this out further, why not Borg-Cats chasing Borg-Mice and Borg-Birds? Why not Borg-Bees suckling Borg-flowers with Borg-Platypuses playing by the river with Borg-Polar-Bears catching Borg-Fish and dining on Borg-Oysters?

Hmm...that almost makes the Borg into a race of cannibals, doesn't it?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
Canon or not...It's interesting to think about.

However most "Lesser" species would either be ignored or destroyed TBH...so Dogs, while they could potentially service the Borg....I am not really sure they would be....nor would Tribbles....
Here's a scary line of thought..Borg assimilate tribbles...borg get Tribble DNA introduced...Borg self replicate like Tribbles. Bye Bye Miss American pie!