Lt. Commander
# 1 zone chat in pvp
03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
There is a reason mmo makers almost never allow cross team or faction communication during pvp, with most games not at all. I'm positive that I don't even need to come out and say what that reason is, but I'll poke at it anyway. Some game makers feel so strongly about it that they have written rules in their EULA's that prohibit you from having characters from more than one faction on a server by means of multiple accounts, and rightfully so.

Now with this particular game, almost anyone you talk to who plays it can find something about its mechanics they find frustrating, aggrovating, or just plain not fun, and that is wether they are winning or loosing in pvp. Thats aside from the rare find of a person who actually enjoys making other peoples time less enjoyable, or has to win at all costs. I don't think as many of those kind of people exist as some would like to believe. I personally have gone from being frustrated during a game, to feeling bad for the other team depending on the situation and the inept que and game starting system is to blame for at least half of it in my personal opinion. The open general zone chat is a putrid rotted brown puss laden cherry on top.

Now I have been in pvp games where the zone chat has been friendly and honorable. Like I said before, I don't need to tell anyone where zone chat in pvp games end up the other eight out of ten times. The best thing I've heard so far is someone on the other team berating several of his mates, calling them stupid N'words. Please split zone chat into red team/blue team, or just get rid of it. Put an auto team function in instead.

I apologize ahead of time for saying that I would be unable to keep from holding anyone who defends general all sides pvp zone chat suspect of either being a culprit, or at very least enjoying the pubescent atmosphere it creates to some extent.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
I have said this before that we need close channel chat, because some people have no matter or sore losers. I agree that auto teaming could solve this. let's keep it friendly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-24-2010, 03:53 PM
there was zone wide chat in swg . tbh while there was some of that inevitable smack talk i actually chatted more with those i had fought against than those that i fought with. altho in this game there is almost no community feel to it and i barely chat to anyone but then in this game you don't need to.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
that would kill roleplay, yes the guys with ships called pewpew are likely to cause trouble, but on occasion Ive take part in some extremely fun roleplay while in matches.

The guy flying a K'tinga called Chronos One is an excellent example of good roleplay. Another guy, Captain Emerald, not sure what his fed ship is named, plays and roleplays at the same time. its pretty awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM
if i recall Shadowbane, pure open pvp (except the starting zone) had zone wide chat. (local area chat)

I do agree, that during pvp matches, 1 side should not be able to understand the other side.

I should be hearing Klingon language if I was playing my Star Fleet toons, and I would be hearing gibberish if I was playing my Klingon toon.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM
all i have to say is:

Less QQ more pew pew

L2P
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I actually love the cross-faction chat and would hate to see it go. I'll admit, when I first started PVPing and was stinking up the place I sent a few angry message in zone chat, talking about OP Klingons and bad Feds, but that actually changed immediately as soon as I found out I could chat with the guys we were fighting.

When the enemy is faceless it's easy to let anger consume you and concentrate on how much it sucks to lose, but once I got to know some of the Klingon players and send friendly banter back and forth, it made PVP fun. I still sucked for a while, but I knew I was losing to funny and skilled people, which kept it fun even when I was losing. And because of that, I played enough PVP to become pretty darn good at it, and now I'm at the point where after a couple engagements Ks know to bring some friends if they want to get me off of a flag. Win or lose, it's fun and challenging and the cross-faction chat allows for mutual respect to be made clear.

There will always be trolls and QQers and all that, but in my opinion, the positive feelings you get from friendly chat with your competitors outweighs all the negatives.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2010, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook0024
I should be hearing Klingon language if I was playing my Star Fleet toons, and I would be hearing gibberish if I was playing my Klingon toon.
This would make no sense whatsoever in the Star Trek Universe. Universal Translators have been around since Ensign Hoshi Sato began the groundwork for it in the mid 2150s. And Earth folks and Klingons have been aware of each others language and able to translate it since at the very least 2151 when Klaang crash landed in Broken Bow Oklahoma.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
This would make no sense whatsoever in the Star Trek Universe. Universal Translators have been around since Ensign Hoshi Sato began the groundwork for it in the mid 2150s. And Earth folks and Klingons have been aware of each others language and able to translate it since at the very least 2151 when Klaang crash landed in Broken Bow Oklahoma.
no humor? Star Trekkie? got offended?
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Not offended at all. I play for the experience of Star Trek. Not b/c it is an MMO. I just wanted to point out that in the context of this game your idea makes no sense. It takes a LOT more to get under my skin ( been married for 22 years and have 2 teens still at home. lol):p