Lt. Commander
# 11
03-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
No, I don't. I play a Ferengi with dual citizenship. Ferenginar is not a member world. The Federation just allows non-member species to sign up for Starfleet now, hence the option to create an alien character.
Actually dual citizenship or non member races enlisting in starfleet is nothing new, any person from a non member race can be sponsored and have a letter of reference written on their behalf by a command level officer thus allowing them to take the Starfleet Academy entrance exam. You ARE a member of Starfleet and as a member of Starfleet you will obey Starfleet orders, Directives and Protocol and part of that is commanding only Starfleet approved vessels.

Quote:
And in a time of war, it seems there are more Klingons in the Federation than ever. Or in the KDF, for that matter. That's just as canon (or not) as the Federation allowing others to fly their own ships. Even more the Klingons, they basically conquered others and now happily hand out BoPs to everyone. It would be more likely they don't really trust the others and don't give everyone an example of their technology and weapons in particular as a welcome gift.
So the number of players who bought a Klingon-Fed character is a license to break canon to you? Worf is the best canon example of a Klingon who chose a life in the Federation and to pursue a military career with Starfleet, he could have at any time (and now has) gone to the other side. It is then reasonable to say that there are a number of Klingons who have left the Empire.

Additionally stop using the Klingon side as a debate platform for what you would like to see in the Fed side. It is unfinished and it may see the addition of Gorn, Nausican, and Orion starships. It has been talked about in length, also if I were the type of person who needed to shoehorn a canonical reason as to why you only have Klingon ships in game I could say that the Empire views anyone not flying a "grand warship of proper, Klingon design" as weak and inferior.

Quote:
Oh, and for canon-breaking... After 30 years of kicking the borg around, how likely is it that ALL liberated drones were humans before? Is it canon that really no other species would a) be assimilated or b) try to rescue assimilated members of their kind? That point doesn't hold. Not at all.
They aren't all Human, just all the players who play a Lib Borg are Either human or Klingon respectively. I Assume you have not met Admiral 4 of 10, a Liberated Andorian.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-27-2010, 10:04 PM
The federation has so many ship designs out there that aren't being used, that the federation wouldn't need to use other races ships. And for the record the federation is the collective of all member races, their ships reflect the culmination of those races technology and design. Sufficate to say, federation ships are as advanced as you're going to get out of federation races.

But that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a civilian faction flying those ships around. I I think federation, Klingon, Romulan factions should be getting all their ship design, both old and new, especially, from the designs in games like Star Trek Legacy and Star Fleet command.
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-29-2010, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaccaull
In a time of extreme war, where they are actually refitting constitution and other oid classes why wouldnt the federation have vulcan or ferangi ships in thier fleets? I would think in a life or death situation they would use whatever they could get thier hands on. This isnt just a minor scuffle with the klingons.
I agree.
I also would love to be able to "refit" any vessel that I chose. My character is a rear admiral 5. I would think choosing whatever ship you desire to be your flagship, would be a perk of being an admiral. I mean "real" refitting like increased hull strength more weapons, science, engineering slots and also exclusive ship costume variants too, (new nacelles, pylons, saucers variants ect.), so I could really customize my ship.
You could either charge so many energy credits, or merits to do this. Heck, maybe this could be something Memory Alpha would be good for. You know, go there to increase the hull strength of your vessel, or get ablative armour or more ship console slots.

I like the idea of the new ship costumes like the Imperial class, but I would hope that some of the more "iconic" ships would get updated and "refitted" too.
I love the constitution class for example and would love to supe one up fer nostalgic sake.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota2063 View Post
The federation has so many ship designs out there that aren't being used, that the federation wouldn't need to use other races ships. And for the record the federation is the collective of all member races, their ships reflect the culmination of those races technology and design. Sufficate to say, federation ships are as advanced as you're going to get out of federation races.

But that doesn't mean that there couldn't be a civilian faction flying those ships around. I I think federation, Klingon, Romulan factions should be getting all their ship design, both old and new, especially, from the designs in games like Star Trek Legacy and Star Fleet command.
I'm a little curious as to when Starfleet became the military arm of the Federation. Starfleet was the Human Space Navy (similar to the Vulcan Science Academy). Even in TOS, Andorians still had their Navy. Vulcans had their Navy... etc.. etc...
In TOS, they appeared separate. In Enterprise, they definitely were. In DS9, they were notably synonymous.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Idea
03-29-2010, 11:46 AM
its an interesting idea but its not cannon. as per the starfleet way. If you are a Starfleet officer, you fly their ships, wear their types of uniform even if its in different colors its still a starfleet uniform. I do belive they should allow for more starfleet ships in the game like the ambassador and nebula though. The races from star trek did have different types of ships but they where not starfleet sanctioned. Vulcan was integrated into federation and stop producing their own ships. a few where kept for special occasions but many fedreation planets stop creating their own fleet and well did it the star fleet way. what they gave up in race design they gave to the federation in technology design. If you look at the many federation vessels you will see some similarities. I wonder why they wont allow admirals to wear the admiral uniform though?
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
That's the point, yes. I do NOT play "a member of a species that joined the Federation", I simply play "one individual of any species that made the individual choice to join Starfleet". But that doesn't mean this individual let go of all links to his/her culture.

Worf and Nog are super-weak examples, as they were the only members of their species to be in Starfleet at that time. So they are just an example for the "exception of the rule". Worf was the ONLY Klingon. His personal choice of lifestyle doesn't make it canon that every second Starfleet officer is a Klingon, and Nog being accepted with enough recommendation letters also doesn't mean that every Ferengi would a) have the desire to join and b) get the sponsors to join. Its why they were exceptions - they joined Starfleet against all odds, and the odds that half the Klingon Empire rather fights for the Federation in times of war are non-existant.

About the human Borg, I do realize there are other species liberated drones. But the choice for players is limited to exactly: nothing. If you wanna be a lib Borg, you have to be a human (or Klingon). You, unlike NPCs, can not be a liberated Andorian. That is what I dislike.
And I also don't use the obviously unfinished Klingon side to justify what I want for Federation players. I just see no reason to say one side can or can not have ships of the playable species; I think both should have the option. There are already enough other things that are very barely justified by canon - Cardassian True Way siding with Dominion; Hirogen allied with Romulans, you name it - it would be less a canon break to let a Vulcan sci captain fly a Vulcan sci vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 17 indeed
03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
but how can you fly these ships if they arent around anymore. little remain of these massive vessels andorians, tellirite and vulcan designs are all in federation vessels. I am not saying one cant do this but i think they are basing this game as a star trek game. shuttles are around of the different races and thats cannon. but huge war time vessels being around. well not so much. i hear what your saying but cannon is star trek, the true way and dominion joinig up again is not to far fetch to belive happen after 30 or so years. the. their where mining vessels as well as merchant vessels in the federation. perhaps you can go off of that presmise. I am just saying these ships arent maintained. now unless a new memory alpha system comes into play where we can build ships. later on this year the other races will be opening up. who they are i dont know but there is the romulan empire and the cardasian union.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taishojojo View Post
I'm a little curious as to when Starfleet became the military arm of the Federation. Starfleet was the Human Space Navy (similar to the Vulcan Science Academy). Even in TOS, Andorians still had their Navy. Vulcans had their Navy... etc.. etc...
In TOS, they appeared separate. In Enterprise, they definitely were. In DS9, they were notably synonymous.
Enterprise took place before the Federation even existed, of-course Andorians, Vulcans, Tellarites, and Human navy's were separate. That was the 22nd century, we are in the 25th century.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Starfleet

Quote:
Starfleet (also referred to as the Federation Starfleet after 2161) was the deep-space exploratory and military service maintained by the United Federation of Planets. Described as a "peacekeeping and humanitarian armada", its principal functions included the advancement of Federation knowledge about the galaxy and its inhabitants, the advancement of Federation science and technology, the military defense of the Federation, and the practice of Federation diplomacy.
People need to stop thinking of Starfleet as human ships. Because they are not, they are ships built of the best technology from every member race of the Federation, something like 150 planets.

Ariev I do not understand how you don't get that Starfleet has rules about what ships it's captains command. And this is my final comment on the playable Borg, some time in the future we may be able to get Cryptic to allow any race to be played as a Borg but the limitation on this is placed by the game, not Canon. The limitation on STARFLEET officers using STARFLEET ships is canon, the only exception to this is special missions, No captain gets a foreign power's vessel as a regular commission, ever.

You are not a part time captain, you serve in Starfleet and only Starfleet.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobber
couldnt federation players be allowed if they have that race to get a say other race ship

for example if they are vulcan they could have a refit vulcan ship
or ferengi or klingon

the reason i post this is this, one of the explores on the klingon side has federation ships hovering around klingon derelict ships trying to scavenge them i suppose.

it would be nice to see that the war with sooo many different factions is actually taking a tole enough to allow for these minor changes.

i would love to be able to take my klingon eng federation officer into a refit klingon ship (distinguishable with fed tech, new alloys on the hulls new colors) so that its not confusing in pvp.

thanks
lemme get this straight, you want to play a klingon..in a klingon ship....why dont you roll a klingon?

and i have never in the history of war heard of one side utilizing the enimies vehichles unless it was special circumstances. imagine if the german-jews that were, fighting for the brits requested that they only be allowed to fly in messerschmidts? i doesn't make any sense at all.

spacefork pretty much summed oit up, however i will supplement with this analogy.

the UFP is alot like the UN, and starfleet is analogous to the UN peace keeping force, not NATO. like the UN has its own uniforms and vehicles and ranks, however their soldiers consist of people from all over the world, the only distinction between the soldier's uniforms is a little flag patch, the rest is all standardized.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Just a random thought... If people still wear TOS uniforms from the far past... Why wouldn't old ship models be around?