Lt. Commander
I hate to be so negative but after wasting about 2 hours on "Infected" only to die because a team member got booted, then I got booted... the clumsy controls cause you to jump in the plasma and the camera doesn't allow you to properly see what you're doing.

I paid for a lifetime subscription and a month in, I have no desire to play anymore. As a Star Trek fan that followed the development of this game long before Cryptic got their hands on it... it's utterly horrible. Space combat isn't too bad but ground combat needs ALOT of work.

Please... FIX IT... make the $240 bucks I spent worth it...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
You can hardly blame cryptic for someone booting you. As for ground movement/combat I find it extremly easy and I only have use extremly limited use of my right hand. Movement both mouse buttons, camera movement 1 mousebutton. Firiing/targeting mouse key on my hud bar
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I had a topic that tried to list the ground issues and did a fairly good job at it too. When everything was updated, however, it was very stealthily deleted along with another topic of mine addressing targeting issues.

For me, the thing that really angers me is the movement controls. I go out of my way make certain buttons move me in certain ways and to have my camera behave in a specific manner, then I enter combat and everything changes! Combat is the only, THE ONLY thought I had had in mind while making my controls the way they were! I can just auto walk in space dock and steer with my mouse or my A and D keys but in combat I want to be able to move behind things.

AND if that wasn't bad enough, you movement controls will seemingly change at random based on your camera moment, what direction your character's facing, where your enemy, daily horoscope reading and weather it's day light savings time or not! I don't want to have to first identify what key makes me move left to get behind a wall only to then have that key change after I move my camera to make sure I don't go off a near by ledge.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
I had a topic that tried to list the ground issues and did a fairly good job at it too. When everything was updated, however, it was very stealthily deleted along with another topic of mine addressing targeting issues.

For me, the thing that really angers me is the movement controls. I go out of my way make certain buttons move me in certain ways and to have my camera behave in a specific manner, then I enter combat and everything changes! Combat is the only, THE ONLY thought I had had in mind while making my controls the way they were! I can just auto walk in space dock and steer with my mouse or my A and D keys but in combat I want to be able to move behind things.

AND if that wasn't bad enough, you movement controls will seemingly change at random based on your camera moment, what direction your character's facing, where your enemy, daily horoscope reading and weather it's day light savings time or not! I don't want to have to first identify what key makes me move left to get behind a wall only to then have that key change after I move my camera to make sure I don't go off a near by ledge.
i couldn't have said it better. You're right 100%. No other game I know has people move like this one does, and as a long time pvper in military based games, this is enough to make me scream.

To the poster with a troubled hand, I'm sorry man. Not everyone is used to working the mouse and controls like that. Most of us use two hands and are long coordinated with how we control our movement and combat skills. STO is the odd duck out, and I don't think experienced players are willing to learn a completely new method and make every other ground combat game rust up and get gimped as true blue and tried methods are re-tooled to work differently in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
I think what the problem is, is that if you have the camera facing in a direction, and then while you are moving around and the camera auto moves with you with out you manuvering it yourself with the mouse, the game thinks your character is facing the same direction as it was when your camera had them facing a certain direction.

Im not sure, sometimes i can duplicate the issue some times i cant.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
It does appear that movement is based on the camera facing not the player facing. Takes a bit of getting used and that does need to be fixed but you can adapt to it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
I think what the problem is, is that if you have the camera facing in a direction, and then while you are moving around and the camera auto moves with you with out you manuvering it yourself with the mouse, the game thinks your character is facing the same direction as it was when your camera had them facing a certain direction.

Im not sure, sometimes i can duplicate the issue some times i cant.
the issue is that you have 2 movement types, in combat and out of combat.

Here's the break down.

Lets say these are your movment controls: AWSD is front/back and turn and QE is left/right movement. Camera is set to free and you set both left and right click and drag to the same camera function. You have also taken all options that would restrict your movement or try to "help you" and turned them off because they suck.

You're out side of combat and you target an enemy 90 degrees to your right . You WERE moving perpendicular to him by walking straight with the "W" key. NOW the W key will advance you forward in a straight line to your target. In fact, you're character likely just snapped around to look at him, despite having that option disabled. The 5 or 10 minutes you spend setting up your controls now mean nothing. You now represent the perimeter of a circle and your target is the center point. On a good day, W and S will make you advance and retreat from your target in a straight line while Q, E, A, and D will likely all make you strafe in a circular motion around your target although some times, for no particular reason, Q and E will want to make you turn, despite being your movement keys.

Now lets say you're being flank and you want to face your flanker to attack him or what ever. You click and drag to move the camera try to locate him, all while returning fire to your first target, maneuvering about and doing other combat multitasking things. You lock onto your next target and suddenly, your movement controls are wrong. You go to move back and and hit the "S" key and you find that you're suddenly moving right and to the front. "OK", you think to yourself, "That means that Q will let me move back, right?" Maybe, remember you have 2 keys associated with strafing movements, it's possible that either one is also mixed up with something other movement.

At times the movement is relative to your camera's position. Other times it's relative to what direction your character's facing and STILL other times it's based on what direction your enemy is relative to one of the two former. Sadly, these all change seemingly randomly.

A while ago, a dev stated that because of some issue with the particle effect from weapons behaving strangely when you turn around in combat that you're movement is restricted. To translate: "We want the game to look pretty! And weather than addressing the problem directly, we'll limit the player's options, even at the cost of your own life!"
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raso
the issue is that you have 2 movement types, in combat and out of combat.
I agree this is annoying, confusing and combersome.

Also, player oriented AoE skills should not turn the player to face his target (and potentially expose himself for Flanking attacks for no reason).
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I like the game, but ground combat control is the worse i have ever seen in any game and needs to get a fix asap please. It should not require the effort it does now to control your character, movement should preferably be intuitive and simple given that the true complexity should be in strategy not camera control/facing predominately. Well, fixed or not ill adjust but i would love to see this repaired and to those saying there is no problem youre not really helping matters imho.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I've seen devs comment on a lot of things that the players have issues with, but I've never seen one syllable on this mater from the devs, save for the beam effect glitch excuse.