Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
Hello,

i have often heard that cryptic is translating english names to german names ingame. So "Deepspace 9" is not "Deepspace 9" but "Tiefenraum 9".

This post is bout complaining about why you should consider to NOT to translate names, pls.

I m a big fan of Star Trek ever since i saw Kirk and Spok on tv. Never have the names beeing changed during translation from english to german.

I beg you, dont make the same mistake some other big corporation did and translate names from NPCs and Stations/Cities to german. Many ppl in germany actually do know "Deepspace 9" as it is a name and was never translated. And every night when i have time to play the game i hear the yelling bout the "wrong" names in the german version.

I for myself play everything on english.

I.E. you dont call Rom (italian city) any other name because you are living in the USA or Germany or Sweeden or else. Rom still is Rom. New York still is New York and not "Neues York" for a germans. Florida Beach still is Florida Beach and not "Florida Strand" for the germans.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Actually some names do translate, being only fluent in 2 languages I can only think of French examples.

California becomes "Californie"
England becomes "Angleterre"
Germany becomes "Allemagne"

I always assumed most languages just translate city and place names to suit their languages. However I can understand something like Star Trek needs no translation for any audience
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Umm yes they are translating them, but not what most people think. Users can select there perferred language. If yours is english then your fine, but if you choose german then well everything will be german.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Right, i should have written that only if you select german as ingame-language the names will be switched as is everything else.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-25-2010, 07:51 AM
yes "Tiefenraum 9", ugh
Deep Space 9 shouldnt be translated.

Although i switched to english language setting now anyway, because there are so many errors in the german one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
why would you play in German its practically initiligble
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Because there are many german ppl who cant write or read neither understand english in any way. Thats why there is a function called localisation -> you transmit the english stuff to another language so ppl not from the UK or USA can understand and play the game. Thats why.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Hereís an idea just from the top of my head, and pleas donít get cranky,

Why not just keep everything as it is, so the Germans are forced to learn English. If they get everything translated and dubbed, why should they bother learning English at all?

Can you imagine watching TOS where they have dubbed Kirk, Spoch and even Scotty whit german voice over? I made this suggestion a while back, one replied and called me an American svine, although I am Norwegian.

I learned English by watching series like Knight Rider, Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5, whit Norwegian subtitles of course, and I have two younger brothers, one has just started learning English as school, but can already read and write almost perfect English after playing World of ******** for the past two years.

Still, I donít care if its translated or not, donít rely effect me that much, except from all the German scrabbling in the Zone Chat. Iím just killing some time while I wait for the patching to complete.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Counterpoint
03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't mind the german in the game... and do feel it will increase market share, but

It is always strange when I get a "sold on exchange" message where the item is translated into german. Tells me the world is not only composed of engliand/america.