Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
03-29-2010, 03:19 AM
Yes that is his Name and the correct way for a junior officer to address him.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
03-29-2010, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Yes that is his Name and the correct way for a junior officer to address him.
Please, enlighten me. What exactly are you arguing? The fact that someone can display a different rank to what they are ingame? Because I've already dealt with that as being a game mechanic vs RP issue, in which case the game mechanic should be ignored. It's not Cryptic's fault that players want to play in the manner in which they do.

If the dispute is over something else, I'm afraid I've got no idea what it may be as your argument is rather hard to follow.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
03-29-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caemos
Please, enlighten me. What exactly are you arguing? The fact that someone can display a different rank to what they are ingame? Because I've already dealt with that as being a game mechanic vs RP issue, in which case the game mechanic should be ignored. It's not Cryptic's fault that players want to play in the manner in which they do.

If the dispute is over something else, I'm afraid I've got no idea what it may be as your argument is rather hard to follow.
"Admiral Kirk".. "Captain Kirk"

A character named James T. Kirk, ranked at "Admiral" should be addressed by all NPCs as "Admiral Kirk". Not.. NOT as "Admiral"

You placed "Captain" where the game wanted you to place "Kirk"..

So now you're being addressed as "Admiral Captain". When you started the game you were being called "Ensign Captain" and then "Lieutenant Captain" etc etc..

Your mistake. Buy a rename token and change you "Captain" name to your character's surname.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
03-29-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
"Admiral Kirk".. "Captain Kirk"

A character named James T. Kirk, ranked at "Admiral" should be addressed by all NPCs as "Admiral Kirk". Not.. NOT as "Admiral"

You placed "Captain" where the game wanted you to place "Kirk"..

So now you're being addressed as "Admiral Captain". When you started the game you were being called "Ensign Captain" and then "Lieutenant Captain" etc etc..

Your mistake. Buy a rename token and change you "Captain" name to your character's surname.
Your argument perhaps, but not his. Either way, I'm not sure that's actually what the issue is about.
EDIT: In short communications it is acceptable to refer to someone by their rank alone, the same for certain titles, but not others. So it SHOULD be acceptable for someone called Admiral Kirk to be addressed as Admiral. As for if someone put Captain in as their short name or not, doesn't really change things.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
03-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Most people wouldn't be familiar with where this thread started; it was in a thread started by someone who wanted Cryptic to clean up the way the NPCs address the player (eg using their first name in formal situations, rank instead of title etc). Then Kevscar came along and hijacked it for a good dozen pages arguing about how rank (aka your level's name) and title (aka what displays over your name) in the game are wrong and providing strange examples that didn't really make sense. It seems this thread is a sequel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
But it's stupid to have the ranks and titles the same do you want to be addressed as Admiral Captain. or Would you rather be addressed as Admiral Defender of Starbase 24. and that is the same whatever rank you are.
I have no problem with it being optional the problem is the titles are not logical. It's looks like Cryptic were just to lazy to do a little bit of Creative thinking.
Since you're obsessed with going on about the importance of formalities like titles and ranks and the monarchy, could you please stop butchering the Queen's English and use proper punctuation, not capitalising random words etc? It's really painful to read, and people will ignore your points as a result.

I agree Cryptic have screwed up rank and titles, but going on about it isn't going to fix it. Especially if you confuse everybody else by assuming they know what you're talking about and not clarifying your position.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
PODsix
please read thinks carefully nowhere have I said that I had my short name as captain or even wanted to. I have said that if people were so desperate to be called captain rather than Admiral then they should have Captain as there short name.
What I am saying is what Cryptic has put as Titles Admiral Captain Ambassador etc are not Titles but Ranks and this need to be changed.
As people from countries that have never had a Monarchy don't seem to understand how people with both a Rank and Title are addressed correctly I have included how it should be done.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
03-29-2010, 12:26 PM
mrwafu
Since being butched by the NHS one of the problems with my condition is trouble with concentrating and difficulty with words and imprecise control of right hand so sorry you will just have to put up with it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
03-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Basically, Kevscar doesn't want titles to be used to apply a rank's name above a character's head on the insistence that ranks are not titles; regardless of the reasons why other players would like to have them applied or why they actually think it's a good idea to have them as titles. He's basically plowed heedlessly through any sensible reasoned counter he was given with the insistence that he is right and cannot be wrong, regardless of how many times the truth of the matter is put in front of his face.

This issue actually stems from another thread, where I was making an appeal to have the title chosen possibly be used to replace the level-related rank in dialogues (for those people sick of being called Rear Admiral instead of, say, Commander or Captain). He went all ballistic on it for the same issue, and I asked him to make his own appeal if he felt so badly about it, instead of poisoning my thread with his nonsense. So, here we are.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
03-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
I see what you've done here.. and this is YOUR mistake, not Cryptic's.
Full Name: Jonathan Zachary Smith
Short Name: Captain
You chose this, because you wanted everyone to refer to you "as Captain". The problem is, the game expects a name there.. like "Kirk", "Riker" or "Picard" or in the above example,.. "Smith". The game uses the following syntax in most dialogs.
"Greetings " + <player rank> + <player shortname> + ", we need your help...."
The expected result, if your "Short Name" was "Smith" would be this..
"Greetings Ensign Smith, we need your help..."
Because you made the mistake of putting "Captain" where "Smith" should be.. now your mission dialogs are coming up..
"Greetings Ensign Captain, we need your help..."
The simple fact is, this is YOUR glaring mistake.. not Cryptic's. And to fix it.. you're going to need to purchase a rename token, or delete the character and start over.
When I made my first character, I had no idea what that "Bones, etc." edit box was for.
I kept trying to leave it empty, because I didn't want my character to have a "cowboy" nickname.
It is not players' mistake, it is just confusing, unclear User Interface design.

EDIT: Good explanation though!
I wish Cryptic put something like your post up on that Character Creator Window as a tooltip.
We would not have threads like these then.
.
.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
03-30-2010, 02:14 AM
Zoberraz

As said if you can show where Admiral Kirk said to his crew "I'd rather be called Captain than Admiral" then you have a fair argument. Otherwise there is nothing to support you request.

No matter what you may say the simple fact proven above is that someone with a Rank and Title Is alway addreesed by both. Aqquiatences of long standing and equal position may be told to address by shortened version but never subordinate military officers
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.