Lt. Commander
# 41
04-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Trouble with your link is this bit.

Wikipedia is an online open-content collaborative encyclopedia, that is, a voluntary association of individuals and groups working to develop a common resource of human knowledge. The structure of the project allows anyone with an Internet connection to alter its content. Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information

In other words I can go in and correct those mistakes you quote.
Then you would get banned for vandalising the article because your opinion of what "title" should mean is not the only truth.

Another source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/title
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Quote:
....Defender of Uranus. and such given to signify bravery above and beyond the call of duty. Something actually worthy of recieveing. Something you would be proud to have.
Sign me up for the Defender of Uranus honorific lol
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Because as has been stated Captain is not a title neither is Admiral, Ensign or Ambassador they are ranks.
This is more than an oversimplification, but in fact it is flat out untrue - they are both.

If you are a Lieutenant in command of a starship, you are called Captain by the crew, not Lieutenant. This makes "Captain" a title, regardless of the fact that it is also a rank. That is beyond the point, though.

The point is, that that field is called "Title" simply because it's shorter and easier than "That word or phrase you want to appear over your head."

Ranks, real "Titles," and plenty of goofy things can potentially show up there. Is "Crash Test Tribble" really an apt rank or title?

So what you're REALLY asking for, if I can understand it properly, is for us to add in titles based on accomplishments, yes? You want to be rewarded for completing the crystalline entity fleet action with the new title of "Survivor of the Crystalline Atrocity" and the like.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
The problem is some people want the ingame dialogue to use there title instead of their rank.
Of course, the in-game dialogue doesn't do this, therefore there is no problem.

In-game, above-the-head "titles" are just for fun, and have no impact on how NPCs address your character. Nor have I ever been referred to as "Career Officer" by any other players to date.
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Ugh, ok after reading through this thread, it's really nothing but a flamewar. I'm closin' it down.
Closed Thread