Lt. Commander
# 11
03-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Curiosly, I got my wife hooked by insisting that she watch "Voyager" with me. She is attracted to stories featuring strong female leads and anything with asians. So we watched Voyager and then a few of the older episodes of TOS. Then we sat down to watch STIV and she was hooked. The whale thing got her. After that, she watched "Enterprise and I now have her watching TNG when SYFY shows it.
Now if I could only get DS9...
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I introduced STO to a friend even younger than me (I am 13) with the buddy key. He says he knows some stuff about Star Trek but thought TNG was a movie. Well, you can imagine the trouble i had with him.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-01-2010, 04:28 AM
Having only my experiences to go by, I would suggest starting with Star Trek: The Next Generation. That is how I was hooked into Star Trek. I then caught Star Trek: TOS on syndication.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Yes, ST IV is a sure-fire heart string tugger.

I would try ST II, just because of the intensity of it, and no chick can turn down Ricardo Mantalban's semi-bare chest and long hair. Plus, ST II is what breathed life back into the franchise after the dismal reception by the public of ST I. Just remember the SciFi mantra: "Even-numbered ST films don't suck." (though, I have always been a big enough fan to love them all.)
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
Yes, ST IV is a sure-fire heart string tugger.

I would try ST II, just because of the intensity of it, and no chick can turn down Ricardo Mantalban's semi-bare chest and long hair. Plus, ST II is what breathed life back into the franchise after the dismal reception by the public of ST I. Just remember the SciFi mantra: "Even-numbered ST films don't suck." (though, I have always been a big enough fan to love them all.)
Oh, I think ST XI was pretty good. :p JJ Abrams may have effectively nullified that mantra.

Although I did thoroughly enjoy Search for Spock and Insurrection, despite being odd-numbered films.

And Nemesis was even-numbered! Man, that mantra is way off even before XI!
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-01-2010, 10:24 AM
If you're going to be showing individual episodes, and your friend is bored by the usual Science-fictiony fare, then I suggest going after episodes that best illustrate the characters.

TOS: City on the Edge of Forever
TNG: The Inner LIght
DS9: The Visitor, Duet

Those episodes best capture the humanity of the franchise in my estimation. If she's still uninterested in Star Trek after watching those episodes, give up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-01-2010, 10:25 AM
It's easy, Don't like star trek? Then you go with out Capulet
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
CBS recently released the best of TOS & TNG volumes 1 & 2 last year at ten dollars each. Those plus the new JJ Abrams movie can win over a lot of new admirers. The ladies just melt during the Kirk's birth/evacuation of the Kelvin scene!
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefalcon View Post
CBS recently released the best of TOS & TNG volumes 1 & 2 last year at ten dollars each. Those plus the new JJ Abrams movie can win over a lot of new admirers. The ladies just melt during the Kirk's birth/evacuation of the Kelvin scene!
um...no. The melting started 60 years ago with the real Kirk
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
um...no. The melting started 60 years ago with the real Kirk
60? I wasn't aware Kirk got screen time in the 1950s. :p