Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
Wasn't there an episode in ds9 where klingon BoP were waiting in the wreckage of a cardassian fleet waiting to instagib any cardassian ships that came to figure out what happened?
That's the problem I see with STO: DS9. DS9 combat is the ultimate self-contradiction in Star Trek, with both dogfighting and 'tall ship' strategy rolled together, favouring one or the other whenever the plot suited it (without feasible consistency). The rest of Star Trek is significantly different.

Again, the question is meant for Cryptic to answer: how fast (or slow) is combat meant to be in STO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
Reaction time IS skill though, it requires a large amount of training to be able to read the environments and react within a decent amount of time. if you had all the time in the world to plan then it wouldn't take much skill to understand the situation.
I suggest that reaction time is merely one type of skill, which at the moment is required (or favoured) above all else. If you remove (or trivialise) reaction time, then planning would become the required (or favoured) skill.

In other words, my suggestion is to change the style from X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, to chess. I can see Cryptic wanting to strike a middle-ground between the two, but at the moment STO is much closer to XvT than it is to chess.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Much as I'd like to see combat be more strategic, like SFB, I doubt it would be a good move for Cryptic.
(Hell, I'd make it a turn based system if I could!)
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
Much as I'd like to see combat be more strategic, like SFB, I doubt it would be a good move for Cryptic.
(Hell, I'd make it a turn based system if I could!)
I think it's a fine line they have to walk. Keeping the game true to Star Trek, but also making it an enjoyable game to the majority of players. I think the gameplay will win out becasue at the end of the day it's a game first, part of the Star Trek IP second.

I do think they went a little overboard with the abilities at higher ranks though. At T4 and up it seems like you spend more time/attention towards managing buffs/debuffs than actually maneuvering and firing.