Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
03-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Slightly off the topic - it just doesn't make sense to me for Admirals to be going on away missions and doing missions. Captain should have been the current cap...or at least no Admiral rank until the level cap was lifted.
Lt. Commander
# 12
03-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMaster View Post
Even in the modern US Navy, the rank of Commodore has been discontinued. It is a title, rather than a rank.

The old rank of Commodore eventually became what is known today as (/drumroll) Rear Admiral (Lower Half).
the hell does it matter if the us navy discontinued this rank?.

Star trek's naval inspiration came from the hornblower book series of which Roddenberry was a fan. in fact both kirk and picard's characters were built around Horatio Hornblower, albeit during different times during Horatio's career. as such the hornblower novels are based on the british navy during the napoleonic wars. and at that time the rank of commodore was in full use.

on topic. the rank of commodore is in fact still in use in many parts of the world(you know places outside of of the U.S.... you know, other territorial landmasses on this planet .... sigh get a freaking map i swear there are other countries besides america).

however a commodore is no longer a flag officer, which would make more sense for this game since the idea of having a bunch of flag officers running around zapping stuff is hardly befitting their rank....

besides i think commodore sounds cooler
Lt. Commander
# 13
03-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karek View Post

Star trek's naval inspiration came from the hornblower book series of which Roddenberry was a fan. in fact both kirk and picard's characters were built around Horatio Hornblower, albeit during different times during Horatio's career. as such the hornblower novels are based on the british navy during the napoleonic wars. and at that time the rank of commodore was in full use.

on topic. the rank of commodore is in fact still in use in many parts of the world(you know places outside of of the U.S.... you know, other territorial landmasses on this planet .... sigh get a freaking map i swear there are other countries besides america).

however a commodore is no longer a flag officer, which would make more sense for this game since the idea of having a bunch of flag officers running around zapping stuff is hardly befitting their rank....

Wow, first, take a deep breath and step back from the nerdrage.

In fact, the use of commodore is either an appointed position OR a rank, depending upon the country, (e.g. the UK Royal Navy made it a rank in 1996, not simply a position). In the German Navy, it's a position appointed to a senior captain in command of a type-group; Canadian Navy considers commodore a flag rank, just below rear admiral.

During the Napoleonic Wars, commodore was a senior captain essentially "breveted" to a command position over a group of ships, at least until a flag officer arrived to take over. Once that commodore's period of appointment was over, they reverted to their permament rank of captain (actually, post-captain in the Royal Navy), and continued their trudge towards rear admiral. Commodore as a position/rank actually came back into vogue during WWII, with the large number of task forces and ship group-types operating together, and not enough admirals to go around.

Sorry, here endeth the lesson on naval rank.....11 years in the navy makes me batty on the subject. And I don't think anyone was saying the US Navy is be all, end all.

Commodore would be cool, though.
Lt. Commander
# 14
03-30-2010, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karek View Post

Irregardless, there is no commodore rank in TNG+.

Furthermore, Gene was quoted as saying "Trek is not Hornblower in space", and was modeled after the US Navy in its Rank Structure (newsflash, there WAS a commodore rank at the time TOS was made).

Which country it was modeled after, is a null factor, since in TNG, it was made its own entity, and there... are... no... commodores.
Lt. Commander
# 15
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
rear admiral lower and rear admiral higher? sorta crazy universe is this?! the old uniform colours returned.. soo return zee commodores :O
Actually it's the same universe that you are sitting in reading this post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_ad...United_States)
Lt. Commander
# 16
03-30-2010, 04:36 PM
O-2 _ Lieutenant Junior Grade (Lt jg) Because of your awesome performance in the tutorial mission, Starfleet decides to leave you as the CO of the little light cruiser that you saved. Since Lt jg is too junior to be the CO of a even a Frigate or Light Cruiser, they decide to promote you from Ensign to Lt. So this rank exists in game (you can even choose this rank as a title and wear the rank pips if you wish)

LJG is perfect to command a small boat. WWII PT boats were commanded by LJG and in Vietnam Swiiftboats were under LJG command.
Lt. Commander
# 17
03-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg316 View Post
Slightly off the topic - it just doesn't make sense to me for Admirals to be going on away missions and doing missions. Captain should have been the current cap...or at least no Admiral rank until the level cap was lifted.
It's a brevet promotion. None of us are real admirals and we might all go back to being Ensigns if the war ends.
Lt. Commander
# 18
03-31-2010, 05:06 AM
I think of Commodore as more of a diplomatic title, rather than a military rank.
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Too many players will get confused by Rear Admiral Upper and Lower halves. I guarantee the next rank will be Vice Admiral.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-01-2010, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonQueen
Too many players will get confused by Rear Admiral Upper and Lower halves. I guarantee the next rank will be Vice Admiral.
We actually had Upper and Lower half rank pips, briefly, in the game for a time. instead of just the lower half ones.

I'd bet you're right, they'll probably just give the rank pips like the Lt. Junior Grade and Lt. rank pips we had.