Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
04-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
We actually had Upper and Lower half rank pips, briefly, in the game for a time. instead of just the lower half ones.

I'd bet you're right, they'll probably just give the rank pips like the Lt. Junior Grade and Lt. rank pips we had.
I can still get the Two pips and gold outline on my uniforms
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
04-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonQueen
I can still get the Two pips and gold outline on my uniforms
/popcorn


really don't give a flip on this subject but watching the "rank nerds" debate is entertaining.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
We actually had Upper and Lower half rank pips, briefly, in the game for a time. instead of just the lower half ones.

I'd bet you're right, they'll probably just give the rank pips like the Lt. Junior Grade and Lt. rank pips we had.
Yep

Which, by the by, is exactly why the titles are as they are. Wanna guess what you call a Lieutenant Junior Grade?

Lieutenant.

Wanna guess what you call a Rear Admiral (or Vice Admiral, or Fleet Admiral for that matter)?

Admiral.

I do find it strange that they didn't put in the Commodore rank, though. Because Starfleet rank structure is based upon the USN rank structure (and Commodore is a rank reserved for use by O-7s during wartime), with the Federation and Klingon Empire at war, Starfleet should have reimplemented the rank for the duration of the war.

However, it just isn't a game-breaking thing to me. Heck, I still run around on my RA5 with 4 pips and Captain title, because I really don't think an Admiral of any type would be placed in command of an escort ship during wartime. Much less, as was mentioned, beaming down on an Away Team into a dangerous situation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
04-02-2010, 05:44 PM
yeah, people should stop complaining that commodore is missing, it's not missing, the devs just aren't calling it that, if it were actually skipped you'd go straight to 2 stars, instead of one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
04-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSlyman View Post
However, it just isn't a game-breaking thing to me. Heck, I still run around on my RA5 with 4 pips and Captain title, because I really don't think an Admiral of any type would be placed in command of an escort ship during wartime. Much less, as was mentioned, beaming down on an Away Team into a dangerous situation.
This.

I really just wish they'd ranked everyone at Captain and had the ship progression be moving up from your first command.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
rear admiral lower and rear admiral higher? sorta crazy universe is this?! the old uniform colours returned.. soo return zee commodores :O
Concur. If it was good enough in the original series, its good enough now. Besides, if it was a wartime issue, then implement it. The quadrant isn't looking peaceful from my bridge...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMaster View Post
Even in the modern US Navy, the rank of Commodore has been discontinued. It is a title, rather than a rank.

The old rank of Commodore eventually became what is known today as (/drumroll) Rear Admiral (Lower Half).
Your right and also today any person holding a naval rank of captain other than the ships own Captain ( may or may not hold the rank of 07 captain) is called Commodore,,,,there can only be one Captain on a ship, None naval ranks such as army are honorably rank of Major.

Also today destroyer squadron commanders usually hold the rank of Captain are also given the title of commodore even thou most destroyer captains hold the rank of commander they are the Captain and there can only be one Captain on a US ship.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
04-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
Anyone who is a "True Fan" of Star Trek, knows that in TNG it was said that the rank of Commodore was discontinued.
Completely wrong.
Anyone who is a "True Fan" of Star Trek should know that its only spoken of once in the entire series of TNG, and only then used as an insult by Geordi LaForge against a Romulan Centurion named Bochra when trapped on Galorndon Core.
Just because you wish it was, does not make it so.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
ugh this arguement is as old as it is dumb. we're not getting commodore as a rank. It's not gonna happen. Dev's said the ranking system stays the same, so it is. Just learn to accept rear admiral, hold it, stroke it, love it. it's here to stay. 10,000 threads later, its here to stay.

btw, whoever wants to use the navy as a reference, show me commodore on this chart:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=266
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhawke View Post
ugh this arguement is as old as it is dumb. we're not getting commodore as a rank. It's not gonna happen. Dev's said the ranking system stays the same, so it is. Just learn to accept rear admiral, hold it, stroke it, love it. it's here to stay. 10,000 threads later, its here to stay.

btw, whoever wants to use the navy as a reference, show me commodore on this chart:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=266
I wasn't aware the issue had been reviewed, unfortunate.

As for the chart, well, when ST was originally written, it didn't exist. So on that line of thinking, if the US Navy changed their ranks next week , would the developers change the current structure? No one ever said they had to use today's military ranks ad verbatim.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 PM.