Lt. Commander
# 1 How I Came to the Game
03-27-2010, 09:30 PM
So my star trek jones has been soooooooo dormant. Its not even funny.
I saw the New Star Trek in theaters. It was good, not great.
Then I had my son last Aug. Best thing ever! can't wait until he is old enough to watch all the STTNG episodes with me. You see me and my dad watched every single episode of STTNG together. I remember every single episode. We made it a father-son thing to do every week. Then we saw all the movies together. I really cherish the time we spent together.

I want to do the same for my son. There is just something wholesome and completely satisfying when I kick back and watch the occasional STTNG episode. It is very nostalgic to me. Something I want to share with my son.

Which brings me to my love of sci fi. Lets be honest, for me there hasnt been ANY great or even good sci fi to watch. But then the Sci Fi channel got its **** together and finally put out a Great new Stargate series, Stargate Universe. SOMETHING WHICH ACTUALLY HAS TO DO WITH SPACE! Flame me if you want to but I feel that it is the BEST SCI Fi show on tv easily in the last year, maybe even the last 5 years (other than SG1)

So any way the space fever got started with a great tv show, mentioned above. Then Mass Effect 2 (xbox360) came out near my birthday, and my wife being the awesome wife she is picked it up for me. After ME2, I couldn't go back to MW2. Just too different, Meh, I am so tired of FPS (WHERE THE **** IS MY REAL SOCOM, THIRD PERSON SHOOTER??????? **** YOU SONY FOR ****ING IT UP! SOCOM CONFRONTATION DOESNT ****ING COUNT!, Sorry, I Have waited WAY to long for SOCOM! But thats another post) When I wanna play sci fi, thats what I wanna play.

I played it for a month solid. Managed to stretch it out to 48 hours playing the game until finished. Then the let down. No great sci fi to speak of on TV or video games, so I had to wait.

Then I was finally able to put my new PC together once the money came in. This is important because with out the right PC, you wont be doing **** other than surfing the net.

Ended up with a AMD 955 BE, ATI 4850 1 gb, the rest doesn't matter. It can push whatever I want to play. Anyway, I noticed about a week after I got done with ME2, this little game called star trek online was about ready to go live. Thanks to ArsTechnica.com for the scoop. They said it was a great game. Then I read an article in TomsHardware.com about the game as well. The two websites I put a lot of trust in gave it a good review.

The timing was perfect. Then I picked it up and installed it on the new rig.

OH MY GAWD! Once I got to the space graphics, my jaw dropped. IT STILL DOES. The ground graphics are meh, not bad, not great, they serve their purpose well. But again the ****ING Space Graphics are AMAZING!

So that in a nutshell is how I Came to the Game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Hehe, my "coming to the game" isn't as interesting...I was just getting bored of Ragnarok Online
and since I've always loved Star Trek, decided it was time to pick up a new MMO based off something
I have more interest in over anime. ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 3 Syfy
03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Ya is one of the best on TV

And the nice store in the mall to buy some cool things for the kids to play with.

And some cool things in there for us guys to play with, And let s be a kid for a little time in are life.

Lt. Commander
# 4
03-27-2010, 09:40 PM
One of my guildie's from LOTRO was like hey "Hey dude, go to Gamestop and get an open beta key it's like 5 bucks."

28 hours later after getting installed and patched, I was completely sold.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
How did Ravenstein come to Star Trek Online? Well it's quite a long story actually. It all starts with a guy named Bill.

Bill is a superhero and comic book nerd. Really big. As in 'I have big posters of Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Batman, and Spiderman' in my room kind of nerd. About a year and a half after City of Heroes launches, Bill gets the game.

At this point in time Ravenstein is playing World of ********. And by playing World of ********, I mean has a subscription to World of ******** with a max level Mage and is thinks raiding is boring (Ravenstein still thinks raiding is boring). Now Bill knows Ravenstein and invites her over one day to see his shiny new hero. Ravenstein goes over and sees said hero and asks if she can make one. So Ravenstein makes a hero. An Energy/Fire Blaster to be specific, and falls in love.

So Ravenstein gets City of Heroes and plays a lot with Bill on City of Heroes. Eventually Bill leaves City of Heroes but Ravenstein stays, eventually getting Champions Online, because it's basically City of Heroes 2, when it comes out. Ravenstein gets a lifetime sub to Champions, which comes with access to Star Trek Online beta. At this point in time, Ravenstein thinks this seems rather silly. And doesn't really pay much attention to this.

Two months later Ravenstein has a level 40 heroine, the level cap for Champions, and receives an email from Cryptic informing me that because of my Champions sub I can get into Star Trek Online beta. Having a level capped superhero, I decided to check this game out. I had low expectations for the game as most Star Trek games are not very good, Starfleet Command being exceptions.

Well the game is very Champions like, and when Ravenstein starts flying a spaceship around blasting Borg cubes, she gets hooked. And so here we are today. So next time you see Bill, tell him thanks for sending Ravenstein over here.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
How did Ravenstein come to Star Trek Online? Well it's quite a long story actually. It all starts with a guy named Bill.

Bill is a superhero and comic book nerd. Really big. As in 'I have big posters of Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Batman, and Spiderman' in my room kind of nerd. About a year and a half after City of Heroes launches, Bill gets the game.

At this point in time Ravenstein is playing World of ********. And by playing World of ********, I mean has a subscription to World of ******** with a max level Mage and is thinks raiding is boring (Ravenstein still thinks raiding is boring). Now Bill knows Ravenstein and invites her over one day to see his shiny new hero. Ravenstein goes over and sees said hero and asks if she can make one. So Ravenstein makes a hero. An Energy/Fire Blaster to be specific, and falls in love.

So Ravenstein gets City of Heroes and plays a lot with Bill on City of Heroes. Eventually Bill leaves City of Heroes but Ravenstein stays, eventually getting Champions Online, because it's basically City of Heroes 2, when it comes out. Ravenstein gets a lifetime sub to Champions, which comes with access to Star Trek Online beta. At this point in time, Ravenstein thinks this seems rather silly. And doesn't really pay much attention to this.

Two months later Ravenstein has a level 40 heroine, the level cap for Champions, and receives an email from Cryptic informing me that because of my Champions sub I can get into Star Trek Online beta. Having a level capped superhero, I decided to check this game out. I had low expectations for the game as most Star Trek games are not very good, Starfleet Command being exceptions.

Well the game is very Champions like, and when Ravenstein starts flying a spaceship around blasting Borg cubes, she gets hooked. And so here we are today. So next time you see Bill, tell him thanks for sending Ravenstein over here.
Thanks Bill! we love yoU!

How did i come to the Game?
As you may know, im a SFC geek, who cried when sfc died. I said to myself, im gonna play mahsef some Star trek if it ever becomes an online game again.....Some years later, Valin sees a news article that Perpetual is Developing a Star trek MMO. Valin Puts a News Alert on his google acct and follows the story up tot the point of closed beta, when he registers on these forums, finds the 32nd fleet again, and finds Ten forward. He procedes to dance. the rest, as they say, is history
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-27-2010, 10:13 PM
I grew up watching Star Trek (TOS - I'm aged). I followed the movies and the series. I'm a fan, but not to the point of distraction.

I got into MMOs playing EVE for a couple of years. I have friends there and enjoyed myself, but the endless cutthroat dystopia started to get old and I just stopped playing.

Big snowstorms in the South the weekend before the game launches and the college where I teach was closed for a couple of days. It was so early in the semester that I had little to grade and so i got bored.

I was watching something on SyFy and saw ads for the game. I'd been seeing it on direct-to-drive's site for months. I snapped, grabbed the credit card, and downloaded it.

The rest is history.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Hmmmmm how I came to get STO...

Office mates and I were playing WoW. Then someone got ****. I didn't follow them. WoW became boring, being a druid tank was cool, but it all became World of Gearscore. Sure I had a score of over 5000, but what was I going to do? At some point, even WoW and all its content is blah. It all boiled down to "get more gear!"

Was browsing through some gaming sites, came upon STO. Hey, I liked CoH, the game I played before WoW. I knew Cryptic wasn't about gear gear gear (at least I continue to hope they aren't). I remember plowing through task forces and strike forces without tanks, or dedicated healers. I decided to see if STO was a game like CoH, where the holy trinity was disregarded and the religion of gearscore wasn't preached or practiced.

It is . Good community, always plenty of drama on the general forums, dev interaction is leaps and bounds better than anything else I've played. Plus how geeky is it to have dual monitors and watch ST ds9 on one and fly my own starship on the other?
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
It is . Good community, always plenty of drama on the general forums, dev interaction is leaps and bounds better than anything else I've played. Plus how geeky is it to have dual monitors and watch ST ds9 on one and fly my own starship on the other?
Indeed, I love it. Dual monitors here too. and i thought i was the only one who did this. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-28-2010, 02:22 AM
I JUST LOST THE GAME!

..oh, the other game.

No special story here, really. I've been a super Trekkie for my whole life (in spirit anyway, never could afford to go to conventions ). So I heard about Star Trek Online way back when it was just starting out at Perpetual. I kind of ignored it for a while because Perpetual didn't seem to be going anywhere fast (and it turned out I was right), then I started following it again after Cryptic picked it up. And then I joined the forums. And then I bought the game. The end.