Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Community Manager
Quote:
Literary Challenge #66 - Xindi Paradox

This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #66.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. Please be respectful of your fellow participants! Do not troll your fellow Captains, give them constructive feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked about their stories, and respect their rights to change their entries as they see fit.

Good luck Captains!
Trevor "CaptainSmirk" | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter: @trekonlinegame | "Like" us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter: @PWECaptainSmirk
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, please file a "Forums and Website" support ticket here.
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Jonsills, can I just say I'm totally going for your challenge? I've been wanting to do a dedicated story on why Ryan joined Starfleet for a while now!

*Patrick Katsulas voice* My muse is speaking to me!
My Fan Fictions

"Logic and War are old enemies"

Vice Admiral Soval - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Bunker Hill
Career Officer
# 3
07-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Xindi Paradox sounds interesting, and it sounds like the sort of job Jesu LaRoca would be ideally suited to handle. Hopefully I can find the time to work up a story for that.

As for the other two, well, anyone who doesn't already know why my characters joined Starfleet and/or the KDF just hasn't been paying attention. And I'm not touching "The Magnificent Ferengi" - that's one of my all-time favorite episodes and there's no way I could improve upon that script.

"Freedom is just a pretty idea unless it's backed by Force."

An Introduction to the Gorn (RP guide) / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 4
07-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Xindi Paradox sounds interesting, and it sounds like the sort of job Jesu LaRoca would be ideally suited to handle. Hopefully I can find the time to work up a story for that.

As for the other two, well, anyone who doesn't already know why my characters joined Starfleet and/or the KDF just hasn't been paying attention. And I'm not touching "The Magnificent Ferengi" - that's one of my all-time favorite episodes and there's no way I could improve upon that script.
Maybe Commander Davis could get to interview H'mL'n after all, and find out what put her in a Starfleet uniform...
Captain
# 5
07-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Mm, sorry, smirk, I like these prompts better.

With regard to 66.1, I despise almost anything remotely having to do with time travel. The entire Temporal Cold War arc never happened as far as I'm concerned because it was stupid, nonsensical, and spoke to a complete misunderstanding of the term "cold war". They just threw three random words together and called it good. And if somebody wants to change history? They're welcome to it, and good riddance: Star Trek canon strongly indicates that severe temporal incursions just split off alternate timelines rather than change the original. And as Teal'c so eloquently put it in SG-1: "Point of View", "Ours is the only reality of consequence."

And none of my captains would likely work with Franklin Drake anyway: Eleya considers Drake a smarmy, self-righteous prick and her XO Tess hates him (from Bait and Switch chapter nine), and Brokosh and Morgan never had the dubious pleasure of his company, being respectively A) a mercenary working for the Klingons and B) a Lawful Good Rihanha more likely to put a disruptor bolt between his eyes on general principles than willingly work with him.

66.2 wouldn't make for a very long story because their reasons are pretty straightforward. Eleya was a sergeant in the Bajoran Militia with a specialty in naval gunnery, and the service had just shut down the space arm. Starfleet was the only way for her to stay in space (where her skillset was), and her test scores were good enough for her to get into Starfleet Academy's OCS program rather than continuing as a noncom. Brokosh signed on with the KDF because his wife was pregnant and he needed the steady paycheck (the House of Chel'toK was pretty impoverished at that time). Morgan joined the RRF to get even with the Tal'Shiar, and before that joined the RSN out of patriotism.

66.3? I've never really been comfortable with the episode rewrites, with the exception of episodes I'm familiar enough with to feel they actually need a rewrite. "The Magnificent Ferengi" doesn't particularly IMHO. EDIT: Actually, on second thought, if I'd been writing it Quark wouldn't have even been involved. The job would have fallen to the Ferengi Alliance Defense Fleet, not a gaggle of unqualified civilians.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer

Last edited by starswordc; 07-24-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
07-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Interesting.

Don't really like #1, Episode Rewrites aren't my cup of tea, so #3 is out, but #2... might have potential.

Might need to examine some of my short origin stories, see if any need expanding.

In the meantime, I'll read other people's entries, and might potentially leave a review.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Captain
# 7
07-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
66.2 wouldn't make for a very long story because their reasons are pretty straightforward. Eleya was a sergeant in the Bajoran Militia with a specialty in naval gunnery, and the service had just shut down the space arm. Starfleet was the only way for her to stay in space (where her skillset was), and her test scores were good enough for her to get into Starfleet Academy's OCS program rather than continuing as a noncom. Brokosh signed on with the KDF because his wife was pregnant and he needed the steady paycheck (the House of Chel'toK was pretty impoverished at that time). Morgan joined the RRF to get even with the Tal'Shiar, and before that joined the RSN out of patriotism.
Okay, so Eleya joined Starfleet so she wouldn't have to leave space. What drew her there in the first place? And what gave a former sergeant the drive to command a starship? The job isn't for everyone, you know.

And the story of Brokosh reaching the point where joining the KDF for the paycheck seems like the best option sounds like an interesting tale to me. They don't all have to feature massed phaser fire and a desperate battle against the odds.
-------------------------------------------

When I make you breakfast in bed, a simple "thank you" is all I need. Not all this "who are you and how did you get into my house" nonsense.
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
07-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I'm in. Working on one as we speak.
Founder and Grand Vizier of the Sovereign Ba'al joke. Hail Ba'al!
My official eternal issue: Why no muscle definition slider? Let's have some equal-opportunity sexiness, Cryptic!
PWE: NO to mandatory ARC! At least make it optional!
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
07-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Right, spent the last 3 hours writing mine up! Decided to take a slightly looser interpretation of the prompt than usual, focusing more on Ryan's defining moment as a Starfleet Officer rather than his reasons for joining Starfleet.

This is one entry that won't be going into 'Victorious', but it is in continuity with that if you want to read it (follow the link in my description: feedback is not only welcome, but desperately desired! ).

Okay, so, any thoughts on my entry? Love it? Hate it? Wanna propose marriage to it? Wanna burn it at the stakes?
My Fan Fictions

"Logic and War are old enemies"

Vice Admiral Soval - Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Bunker Hill
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
07-24-2014, 07:09 PM
Posted Three's origin story, working on D'trel's.

Ryan, nice story as usual. You want me to swing it by Springhole?
Founder and Grand Vizier of the Sovereign Ba'al joke. Hail Ba'al!
My official eternal issue: Why no muscle definition slider? Let's have some equal-opportunity sexiness, Cryptic!
PWE: NO to mandatory ARC! At least make it optional!