Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
I am not sure about a full carrier, but it can work in the RC world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7CWB40ezM#t=211
Captain
# 2
01-19-2015, 11:39 AM
The SHIELD helicarrier is just awesome
Captain
# 3
01-19-2015, 11:41 AM
I like the INSIGHT carriers most of all, sucks they had to be destroyed
Captain
# 4
01-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
I am not sure about a full carrier, but it can work in the RC world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u7CWB40ezM#t=211
Alot of things work on the small scale that would never work in full scale the helicarrier is one of them.

Take the size and the amount of raw power needed just to lift it off the ground let alone fly through the air with the ease as in the movies and toons.

And the fact it would not be practicle since a aircraft of that size would be a magnet for every SAM site in a whole region it could never hide from anyone and dont say stealth cause even that would not work.

Just to big to massive to hide a and the fact the heat signature would be off the chart so either way you turn it just wouldnt work on the full scale.
Career Officer
# 5
01-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorantomalak View Post
Alot of things work on the small scale that would never work in full scale the helicarrier is one of them.

Take the size and the amount of raw power needed just to lift it off the ground let alone fly through the air with the ease as in the movies and toons.

And the fact it would not be practicle since a aircraft of that size would be a magnet for every SAM site in a whole region it could never hide from anyone and dont say stealth cause even that would not work.

Just to big to massive to hide a and the fact the heat signature would be off the chart so either way you turn it just wouldnt work on the full scale.

I love the notion of those things and command centres coordinating operations around the world but it would be more likely they would have people try to capture them rather than destroy them. Considering as others have said the power requirements needed to stay aloft, the only way to do that is by nuclear reactors so destroying them would wipe out you and half or more of your home nation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Rihannsu
# 6
01-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Same reason we don't have hover tanks IRL. Too heavy to make it levitate. A Helicarrier is the size of a small town....
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 7
01-19-2015, 12:14 PM
with current technology its a no go.

the engines as depicted in the movie were barely capable of a 2:1 lift ratio. if you get past this issue then you have to contented with power generation.
There is no QA there is only ZUUL

#boycott/pwe/cryptic
Captain
# 8
01-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Basically, it is down to the old squared-cubed thing.

The aerodynamic lift of any heavier-than-air vehicle is proportional to the surface area of its lift-generating surfaces - the rotors, in this case. The *mass* of the whole thing, of course, is proportional to its volume.

So, if you take your helicarrier model and scale it up by a factor of two (twice as long, wide and high), you increase its lifting areas by a factor of four... and its weight by a factor of eight.

It doesn't take long before you scale up to a point where the amount of lift simply can't keep up with the increase in weight, even if you do other things (spinning the rotors faster, for instance) to try and improve your lifting capability.
Captain
# 9
01-19-2015, 01:03 PM
I bet we can get a hover tank to work, but I want a walker type more.
Captain
# 10
01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
shevet you would also need light materials in the construction too. Just saying. Maybe steel wouldn't be part of such a huge design.