Lt. Commander
# 1 Spontaneous Target Shifting
05-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I've started to have the following happen at an increased rate:

In the middle of combat (PvP and PvE/Ground or Space) and suddenly I'm targeting a different thing. I know what some of you are thinking: Jam Sensors. Nope. The ship/person I was shooting at does not fade from view, I do not see the sparkle effect on my ship. I'm not accidentally hitting TAB either. I'm just randomly selecting a new target.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any insights?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Yup, i thought it was a glitch. One moment i am targetting A and the next thing that happens is that i am firing on target B. It happens randomly btw......eg not all the time in a battle.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2010, 02:18 PM
I've had this happen when calling down a security team. I end up targeting one of my bridge crew
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I get this too.
Actually it's gotten better over time, on release I would sometimes be continually cycling targets for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
I've had this happen when calling down a security team. I end up targeting one of my bridge crew
That's a different issue, I believe Security Team counts as a buff, and STO has this stupid thing where you will buff your enemy target's friendly target instead of yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
This is a pain when this happens. I will have a ship on the ropes and ready to go down then "bing" i am shooting at someone else.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickSh0t
I've started to have the following happen at an increased rate:

In the middle of combat (PvP and PvE/Ground or Space) and suddenly I'm targeting a different thing. I know what some of you are thinking: Jam Sensors. Nope. The ship/person I was shooting at does not fade from view, I do not see the sparkle effect on my ship. I'm not accidentally hitting TAB either. I'm just randomly selecting a new target.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any insights?
if its just enemies, you might want to check your control options to see if you have something along the lines of "target threatening enemies first" turned on. thats usually what makes you switch around. if its off then thats definitely a bug then.

as for the security team healing an ally instead, an option named "assist target on attack" is the culprit for that one.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-08-2010, 05:48 AM
i've had this since beta, i always just figured it was some npc ability that made you lose focus on your current target. whenever i press attack next it just auto locks on the closest enemy after that, it keeps me alert during combat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinJarate
if its just enemies, you might want to check your control options to see if you have something along the lines of "target threatening enemies first" turned on. thats usually what makes you switch around. if its off then thats definitely a bug then.
Thank you for the suggestion. Nope that's not it, I'm afraid. Veteran Champions Online player here, so I'm pretty familiar with all the options settings for the engine.

Here's a little update. I find this most delicious and finger lickin' good.This target "skip/reset" thing happens most reliably when I'm doing ground missions (and yes, I'm aware there are different options for each combat mode):

1. Use expose weapon on target and achieve expose buff on said target
2. Weapon swap to exploit weapon to take advantage of expose buff on the unlucky so-and-so
3. Fire the secondary exploit attack.
4. Ooopsies! The game has lost my target lock and selected a new target for me ... and it is NEVER the one I had lined up for the expose. Hahahahahahaha!

Using a split beam weapon makes this less annoying ... but when I'm using my trusty sniper rifle ... d'oh!

But I will admit to this, its happening far less often that it used to. However, it doesn't make me feel any better when it eventually does.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-15-2010, 11:25 PM
In space this only happens to me when I'm targeting a teammate and trying to use a power on him. Then my target will often switch to an enemy for no reason, causing the power I clicked to either work on myself or not work at all.

On the ground, I find that my target often just deselects itself for no apparent reason. And it's sometimes difficult to click on an enemy and convince the game that I really do want to target that particular enemy.

But as others have said, these problems have become less and less frequent with each patch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-17-2010, 02:38 AM
I hate when this happens.

It doesnt happen to me THAT often any more, but a while ago EVERY TIME: i targertet an enemy, decloaced, pressed the space bar for fireing and my fracking ship targertet something completly diffrent, probably a Mine wich got my High yield then.

I still dont know what that was, it doesnt happen any more, but, like I said, for some times it ALWAYS happened.