Lt. Commander
Hiya Folks,

Just an update on Special Task Force: Infected for you. I read over the overall feedback from everyone here, and made a few changes. Some of them needed a better explanation than I could do in a short patch note so I’m posting it here for you.

I’ll start with the small “Quality of Life” changes I made first. These were small, and you might not even notice them unless we pointed them out to you.

Thinned out a few of the trash encounters on Starbase-84 (ground mission). Not a bunch mind you, but enough that the flow felt correctly to me again. We went up and down on their difficulty during our internal play-tests and we ended up with encounters that felt right combat wise but there were a few too many of them to have to kill when all was said and done.

Multi-Spawn Guard Drones in the Boss Room. This one was actually a tech issue that we had. Basically what was happening was that the older tech that I was using to control when and how these guys re-spawned was never really meant to do what I was doing with it. They had a simple timer that told them when to re-spawn.

The problem was that if you took too long to kill them the first time, you would get an immediate re-spawn as soon as they were killed. It was never intended for you to have to kill two of these guys back to back, just to get them on the correct re-spawn time. I have new tech now that does exactly what I want, which is wait till they are actually dead each time before they start their re-spawn timer. This should make the Boss Room a little friendlier now.

Not getting mission credit. We have had a few reports of this, and we have looked into it. I can’t reproduce it on this end, but we have a good idea how this might be happening to a few of you. The simple explanation is that you are not getting mission credit for the first part of the episode, and then beaming down to the ground with your team. This may be due to how fast you guys are completing the first part of the mission (I’ll explain this in just a min), although I suspect it has something to do with joining groups where you guys are all on different stages of the episode.

We will keep looking into the problem, but really the only way we see to fix this is to just warp you out of the missions if you are not on the correct part for your location. Until we set this up, team leaders can try just making sure everyone on the team is in the same place as far as the mission tracker goes when you get ready to start, and make sure you personally watch your mission tracker to make sure you get credit for each part of the mission as you play through it.

Ok on to the big change…

When we first released the STF, I was really amazed at how fast you guys were blowing through the space portion on the episode. So amazed in fact that I suspected shenanigans, so because of this I jumped on a Vent server last weekend and listened to a couple of Fleets as they went through this part of the mission. Turns out I was right, there were in fact shenanigans afoot. The space portion was being completed in just a few min each time, by basically completely not caring if you died multiple times and just zerging the two main objectives.

This was not the way the mission was supposed to work, however it was basically rewarding you for this behavior so there was no reason for players to think beyond the “easiest” way to complete the mission.

Well… lol… That’s been fixed now. Not only will that strategy no longer be a productive one, it’s actually counterproductive now. With the new changes I’m making you do the mission the way it was originally designed to be played. I won’t go into specifically how to beat the mission, but the old way will no longer be effective.

It may seem “impossible” at first, but it can be done. We never really caught the zerg method in internal testing, because we always played not wanting to die. That’s about it for this one, I look forward to your feedback once you can give the new changes a try on the test server.

Hopefully these new changes to STF:Infected as well as the Brand New STF:The Cure will be available for you to try out this weekend on the test server.
I’ll check back once it is and see how it’s going.

Gozer
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
And the no death penalty strikes again!!

lol joking aside sounds like some good changes, the more challenging the better.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Are you saying that if my mission does not update, then I can beam out and re-enter, and then the mission will update correctly?
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer View Post
...We never really caught the zerg method in internal testing, because we always played not wanting to die....
I bet you guys also don't go into separate rooms in different parts of your building to play-test, just so you'd simulate for yourselves what the game would feel like when played by people who don't even go on Vent and have to coordinate their gameplay through the chat... am I right?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovive
Are you saying that if my mission does not update, then I can beam out and re-enter, and then the mission will update correctly?
No, I'm saying that soon we will force you out of a map if you don't have credit for the pevious one, so at least you won't keep playing thinking all is well, only to get to the end of part three and realize you never got credit for part one for some reason.

I can't reproduce the problem internally (not get ting credit for the first part), although I will keep trying. I am suggesting that you pay close attention to your own mission to make sure you are in the right place and get credit for each part as it completes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Great changes Gozer, I like the respawn fix in particular. On a side note do you know if there's a bug involving the new Epic sheilds and armor with Anti Proton resist? Some folks are claiming they don't do a thing to reduce damage by Rebecca Simmons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
No, I'm saying that soon we will force you out of a map if you don't have credit for the pevious one, so at least you won't keep playing thinking all is well, only to get to the end of part three and realize you never got credit for part one for some reason.

I can't reproduce the problem internally (not get ting credit for the first part), although I will keep trying. I am suggesting that you pay close attention to your own mission to make sure you are in the right place and get credit for each part as it completes.
Cool. We had a problem where not everyone was getting the option to beam down to the station after the space battle. So everyone left to sector space and came back (except for me). Then we all beamed down with no problem. I was the only one to not get credit. Not sure if that is associated though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Gozer, you da man.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I have two things to say here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
Turns out I was right, there were in fact shenanigans afoot. The space portion was being completed in just a few min each time, by basically completely not caring if you died multiple times and just zerging the two main objectives.
That is exactly how the game plays. I dont mean Infected, I mean STO as a whole. That is how the entire game is played. Wether you are a Fed doing PvE or a Klingon doing PvP. The whole game is really just fight to the best of your ability, and when you die, you run back to the fight as quick as possible.

This is not some cheap trick we figured out for Infected. This is what you taught us starting at level 1.

Quote:

It may seem “impossible” at first, but it can be done. We never really caught the zerg method in internal testing, because we always played not wanting to die.
I think I should point out a couple important details to you.

- We cannot revive fallen teammates in space. If someone dies, and they will, the ONLY option is to respawn, and race back. If that makes it 'zerging' it is not our fault.

- Space healing is also extremely limited. The cooldowns and 10km range on healing abilities often prevents us from using them.

- People will very often be blown up when fighting Borg, for two reasons. Firstly, because Borg ships are stupid, and they are not happy unless their ship is 0.01km away from you. Killing one often means being in range of both their death explosion and warp core explosion. Second, Exploding cubes are a very common cause of death. The explosion is stupidly huge and very very damaging.

- Concerning Infected, That is a LOT of borg ships for 5 people to take on. I am pretty sure that we are the ones being zerged, not them. Not only does the gate spawn more and more, but there is a cluster above and below it that just respawns endlessly.

- The Ground portion is not much better. Although we CAN revive each other, it is very common to be overwhelmed by way too many borg. Respawning and running back (aka zerging) is a necessary evil, thanks to your design. Even in a capable fleet group who has cleared it 7+ times and knows exactly what they are doing.

If you don't want us to zerg rush your content, then you need to look at other facets of this game, not just this one mission. You can start by giving us the ability to revive people in space, AND implement a stern death penalty, if we hit that 'respawn' button.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGladiator
Thanks Gozer, you da man.
Love the videos... nice work...