Lt. Commander
# 1 Question about the federation
03-29-2010, 12:03 PM
So I have a question, I'm curious about peoples opinion.

What is the difference between the Federation of planets and the Republic(from star wars)

both are a large conglomeration of systems united under a common government, A united fleet/military
they both have a head of state president / chancelor
they both have a governing body

yet, they are drastically different in outcome.
the federation is stable, and the republic have people seceding and joining all the time, a lot more chaotic.

so anyways thats my question please give me your opinions, thanks for your time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2010, 12:10 PM
No easy answer other than what the writer's write and the publishers and/or license holders allow to be said in the books and games. There have been some stories about instability in the Federation, A few novels (I.e. Dreadnaught), a couple of DS 9 episodes and I think the TNG movie Insurrection showed an ugly side of the Federation. As for Star Wars, The Old Republic lasted for thousands of years before Palpatine, but there have been several government's since then (Galactic Empire, New Repulbic, Galactic Alliance). In the end it boils down to what the publishers and license holders want printed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-29-2010, 12:10 PM
The republic is thousands of years old and still has normal problems. The federation is supposed to be a utopia. I guess if you can make food magically appear you get rid of problems like hunger and greed so things are more stable. That and star wars has the dark side apparently in the federation everyone is a saint.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-29-2010, 12:12 PM
You listed three similarities that are true for any form of government. You could mention the feudal imperial government of the Duniverse, the theocratic Imperium of Man from the Warhammerverse, the Alliance from the Fireflyverse, and the same three things are true for all of them.

But they're all run in vastly different ways.

Hence, different outcomes for each one.

The Republic in Star Wars and the Federation in Star Trek are actually pretty starkly different.

For starters, one is a (fairly corrupt) republic and the other is a utopian democracy. One suffers from lack of resources and poor logistics management, and the other has replicators.

I could go on.

The bottom line is, they're really not comparable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2010, 12:13 PM
One side is full of hippies that love poking around in space, and the other has the same hippies but were given two different ... substances, so they fight with their raver glowy sticks all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM
The UFP does not depend on a quasi-religious order with a propensity toward having its adherents go on self-indulgent power trips for its security.

Gym "Also, the UFP doesn't have George Lucas trying to milk it for all the cash he can get from it." Quirk
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
They are diffrent types of goverments.

Joining the federation is like becoming a state in a large nation (just on a planetary and galactic scale)
The republic was more like the united nations, it had rules and regulations for its members but the goveringing of each member was pretty much left to the people of that planet.

Also the republic didn't have a standing army. The clone army was created in secret and was only utilized by the jedi once it was clear a war had broken out (though that's debatable.)
In the orginal Sith wars, the armies were of the Jedi and Sith, not the Republic vs Sith, though I'm assuming that the KOTOR MMO will have had an army created for the republic to combat the sith. I'm guessing they might just retcon it to say the republic always had an army? I haven't read any of that games lore yet.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkvn View Post
They are diffrent types of goverments.

Joining the federation is like becoming a state in a large nation (just on a planetary and galactic scale)
The republic was more like the united nations, it had rules and regulations for its members but the goveringing of each member was pretty much left to the people of that planet.

Also the republic didn't have a standing army. The clone army was created in secret and was only utilized by the jedi once it was clear a war had broken out (though that's debatable.)
In the orginal Sith wars, the armies were of the Jedi and Sith, not the Republic vs Sith, though I'm assuming that the KOTOR MMO will have had an army created for the republic to combat the sith. I'm guessing they might just retcon it to say the republic always had an army? I haven't read any of that games lore yet.
Technically the Republic had a standing army, the Republic Guard, but they were more of a defense force than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I'll take your word for that, i'm not as strong in my SW lore fu when you go backwards, i'm more from the movies up kinda guy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
The difference is that one is run by elected representatives, and the other is rules by the iron fist of Darth Vader.