Lt. Commander
NOTE: This thread is not in favor of having the entire game turned over to an Open PvP system. This is just for creating a Sector Block where Open PvP can occur. I am in no way in favor of Full Server Open PvP.

This is something that I've given a little bit of thought to for the past couple of days, and would be something, if all the problems are worked out would be fairly cool. It would be a nice addition to the game to have a Sector Block that would function as the Front Lines of the Klingon-Federation War and as the Front Lines it would be constant open pvp. I envision this area as being right below the Eta Eridani Sector Block, to signify the increase in difficult and danger in the PvP content.

Now this would be a decent size area, make that the largest Sector Block in the game. It would be a in a Grid that is 2x3. A setup like this gives you a total of 6 individual sectors to fight over and contest. Now in each sector there would be at least 5-7 planets to fight over for control of the Sector. The faction that controls either a majority of the planets, or all of them, wins control of the sector.

The Planets can be fought over and controlled in a very simple manner. You build player made bases and structures for the faction. There would be a cap as to the number of bases that could be built on each planet, which would be an odd number, so the faction with the simple majority in the number of bases controlled would control the planet.

Changing Control of a planet is fairly difficult battle, as is canon in Star Trek. The only way to do it is to get control of the base lots on the planet. You can either do that by capturing your enemies base, or destroying it and building one of your own.

The rewards from controlling a planet vary from common to rare, but is not based on how long you control the planet. Instead it is rather based on how completely you control the planet. You start out with the common ground based combat gear once you just take over the planet. From there, you have control of 2/3 of the planet you have unlocked the uncommon ground gear. And then controlling the planet outright gets you the Rare blue gear. Simple right.

In addition to the planets to fight over, there would also be at most 4 Starbases, two from each side, to fight over. Those bases can be captured or disabled through various actions by the players. Once a Starbase is captured from the opposing faction, it would function as a regular Starbase with an exchange, mail, bank Starship services, weapons procurement, etc but no PvE missions. So that this way you are always under the threat of attack by the opposing side, even if you're just checking your mail. Also the longer you hold the base, the better the weapons and the starship services become. Starting with common gear and going until you hit Rare gear.

But there is Ultra Rare Gear in the game? Why just stop at the Rare level? The answer is simple, the faction that controls the sector block gets access to the ultra rare gear.

Space battles would be fought in orbit of the planets, around the starbases, and in Sector Space. But in sector space they would be initiated by at least 2 starships bumping into each other. This starts off a sector space PvP match, which can then be joined by any players from either side. And the battle would commence like a standard arena match, except that you have 3 deaths instead of the standard infinite before you are summarily defeated from the match.

The Ground based combat would still involve upto 5 players per group, just not per map. And can be as large as 50 players, 25 players for each side. What would make this more interesting and challenging than normal queued up PvP ground matches would be that you get to bring your away teams with you. So instead of each group being made up of 5 targets each, it would be a total of 25 targets. In addition if the group were made up of entirely tactical officers, you could have an additional 20 Red Shirt Targets, which would then bring the potential targets in a group up to 45. Now with 25 players for each side, that's a total of 5 groups each, which would mean that the ground based match would have the potential for 225v225. And now you have a full fledged battle going on on the ground.

So I open this up to the forums with this simple question. What do you think of this idea for Limited Open PvP?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Any thoughts at all?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
i like it

damn letter requirement
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Any other thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I like it too.

But, seriously, there is nothing wrong with an open PvP area. You could even have optional PvE missions in that area. Makes it a little hard to complete even a PvE mission when you don't know what RL opposition you may encounter. There has been a lot of success in other MMO with "areas" that automatically put you into PvP mode. Heck, sometimes you can be PvP in a game anywhere.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Well I think you got a bit bogged down in specifics. But the principles there, i very much like. And I rarely if ever PvP, i just think that people should have more choices.

This would provide a lot of people a constant source of content and enjoyment.

Would provide so much more to do at max level.

Would provide a sense that there actually IS a war going on.

Would incite competition and strife between the sides (I mean this in a good way, as it is now theres really no reason for the feds and klingon players to look at each other as enemies, since it accomplishes nothing)

Cons: The only Con i can see is the dev work required... whichl if they were to take already existing maps for the star bases and planets, which shouldnt be that much of a stretch, i really dont think this would be THAT huge of a task for the developers.

To the players who dont like pvp, you could just not go there.
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
I love the idea though it is a little rough around the edges but overall, I love it.

And I don't PvP Something like this would get me PvPing though.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
As long as it doesnt affect people who dont want to PVP then its a good idea. Most people hate forced PVP, so im sure many wouldnt mind if this happened as long as it didnt affect anyones enjoyment of the game who doesnt pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2010, 06:42 PM
The way you have this thought out you make like you would be fighting in Sector Space, which we know isn't possible. But then maybe if each planet in a Sector had a separate PvP map to win, you could win control over a planet that way. But then wait. What about the fact that every time you enter a System you enter an instance? And what about when you leave the instance? What if you zone into a version of the Sector instance that isn't marking your scores, but that of some other players, because the Sector instance you were in is full?

Yeah. Sorry. It's a nice idea but it couldn't work quite the way you envision it.

I could see an Open PvP Sector Block that would have multiple PvP Systems (space and ground maps) and an Open PvP system that allowed you to fly into another player (much like Enemy Contacts do now) and initiate a one on one PvP match. But I just don't see how the actual scoring of a Contested Area Sector Block would work with such an instanced game engine.

Lt. Commander
# 10
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
I could see an Open PvP Sector Block that would have multiple PvP Systems (space and ground maps) and an Open PvP system that allowed you to fly into another player (much like Enemy Contacts do now) and initiate a one on one PvP match. But I just don't see how the actual scoring of a Contested Area Sector Block would work with such an instanced game engine.[/color]

That's actually what the whole idea is and how the Sector Space PvP matches would start, like an Enemy Contact encounter does now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
IYeah. Sorry. It's a nice idea but it couldn't work quite the way you envision it.
Funny how we have the exact same vision.