Lt. Commander
Introduction:

Regardless of changes to gameplay mechanics, I feel that we players need some more detailed information in our CombatLog (both the chat display, and the file). This will help us analyse and improve our gameplay. Furthermore, this information will help us provide you with more detailed feedback and ideas, especially regarding balance.

===

Solution:

The following is a list of data I would like to see in our CombatLog (already includes existing CombatLog data). Each item should include name of source and name of recipient, and time of application/removal.
  • damage dealt -- buffed/debuffed/resisted damage marked accordingly
  • damage received -- buffed/debuffed/resisted damage marked accordingly
  • hull repair given
  • hull repair received
  • shield repair given
  • shield repair received
  • buff applied
  • buff removed
  • debuff applied
  • debuff removed

The following stats would be helpful for testing on Tribble:
  • enemy subsystem power drained (total drained power for all subsystems on all drained enemies)
  • enemy disabled weapon damage (total of the damage tooltip for all enemy weapons together, on an enemy suffering CC and unable to fire)

We should also have the ability to filter chat display by any one, several, or all of the above data types. Such display filters must also include the ability to filter by source and/or target. They should also allow us to select different chat display colours and/or fonts for different data sets.

===

Acknowledgements:

Changes to this proposal have been made with thanks to the following contributors to this thread:
  • Felderburg
  • GreenCrane
  • SteveHale

If you see something that you feel should be included in what we see in our CombatLog, please do post your support or suggestion.

Feedback appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2010, 11:12 PM
I support that.
IF the devs really want our support in improving this game, we need ways to gather the required information.
Also this is not a nice to have feature for the PvP-guys, this is a necessity for any serious player who wants to master the non trivial/obvious stuff.
This was also part of the very first suggestion I made in beta...
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2010, 02:16 AM
I love looking at my combat logs (nerdy I know) but the current Jave Log Parser keeps crashing with not much log data I have to keep trimming my logs, and I agree with all Matt_Dravis's ideas.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Agreed - anything to make combat log more useful gets my vote too.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Make it so.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
What they need is a way to separate what damage WE do and is done to US from those of the people around us. Maybe a filter to switch between the two, for those of us who want to see what is happening to our BOs?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-02-2010, 04:06 AM
/ signed

Lt. Commander
# 8
04-03-2010, 07:58 AM
I have included the filter option as part of the original post.

Please keep signing your support so we can get this escalated!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree with the OP. I hate trying to sort through the million other things in the log trying to find the one line that shows me how I went from 50% to dead in a second. lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-03-2010, 09:41 AM
I like the post, but maybe I need to make what I meant more clear. Although a general filter is a good thing, what I meant was a way to filter out things done to/by us from things done to/by people next to us.

In other words, right now, when I am defeated in a PvP map, and I look at my combat log wondering "what did that to me?" I do not see what happened to me as the last item. Instead, what I get is a still running log of what is happening to the players next to me. I know others might, but frankly, I don't care about what kind of damage my ally is doing to the person that killed me.

I suggested a filter because I suspected that it might be tied in somehow to showing BOs in the combat log, although I confess I've never looked at the log while I'm with NPCs, so I don't know much about it.