Lt. Commander
Captain: "Sparks! Full power to engines!"

Engineer: "I can't, captain!"

Captain: "Why not?"

Engineer: "Er, dunno..."

We need prominent debuff icons to show us what the hell is going on regarding our ship in combat!

And whilst on the subject of User Interface... the UI of this great game is one of the worst aspects of STO and thankfully one of the most (relatively) simple things to fix.

We need a proper user configurable UI (and that does NOT mean just moving the elements some dev thinks we need to a different part of the screen... i.e the designers need to give the user part of the user interface more thought). I mean which bright spark thought it was a good idea to make the bridge officer trays disappear if we wanted to show three rows of power icons? And why can we not stretch the trays out all the way along the screen if we want rather than cutting us off at 8 or 10?

And don't get me going about DEATH BY DIALOGUE BOX... grrrr.... dialogue should appear on the SIDE of the screen and wait me ME to decide when it is safe to interact with it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Very good points, all.

At Rear Admiral, I can't fit all my abilities onto my tray. (I play with two rows and my bridge officers out, because it's much easier for me to find stuff that way). Admittedly I hardly ever want easy access to Transwarp or Abandon Ship, but that's not the point - I should be able to fit all my abilities on the screen at once.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Seconded. I still get hit by stuff in PvP that I just don't understand. It's kind of hard to counter something if you don't know what you're getting hit by....
A quick fix for the awful UI problems would be a simple checkbox for which elements you would want to disable/enable. Personally, I'd love to have just 3 rows of hotkeys and my original ship weapons graphic. Why is that too much to ask?
With the prominence and availability of cheap widescreen displays out there one would think the designers would understand that you can't quite fit all screens in one box
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I wonder if this will ever get addressed by the devs... the Death-By-Dialogue-Box issue is particularly galling

Oh and what is with the annoying red strobe light that you cannot turn off when fighting borg? What is that supposed to tell us that the 'Red Alert' at the top does not?
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with the buff/debuff complaint. The interface does a poor job of informing us of when we're or others are buffed and debuffed. Some buffs and debuffs do show up properly, but many of them don't. I can't imagine why that would be intentional.