Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
I decided to try a different direction with an away team today, and created a team of 1 engineer and 3 tactical officers, all armed with Bat'Leth Mk II's as their weapon. My hope was to create a melee assault team with my bridge officers.

Sadly, this was far from what happened.

When I entered a ground map (P'Jem, for the curious) and engaged the first group of Klingons, I had expected that the melee-equipped BO's would move forward into melee range with the enemy targets to engage.

Instead, they sat there, unmoving, as they were hit repeatedly by ranged weapon fire from NPC's that were directly in front of them, 15-25m away, with no obstructing terrain preventing movement.

The few of the NPC's that actually came within melee range of the BO's on their own were attacked by Bat'leth-weilding Federation BO's in a satisfying display, however as soon as they were knocked out of melee range, the Bat'leths were holstered, and the stand-and-be-hit behaviour resumed.

Further experimentation showed that the BO's were using their skill-based abilities (photon grenades) properly, but even specifically designating a target for them only seemed to generate an occasional response in regards to moving and attacking using the Bat'leth.

Setting a rally point next to the target worked (since the BO's were essentially forced into melee range), but only so long as the target did not then move or get knocked back from the designated rally point. If it was only one BO that I was doing this on, it would be aggravating but manageable....for a full away team, it is highly cumbersome at best.

If melee weapons can be equipped on the single-weapon-slot Bridge Officers, can we please have them show the wherewithall to move into the appropriate range to use them, especially when they are directly taking weapons fire?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2010, 02:28 PM
The team is already aware of the issues with the Away Team using melee weapons, and it's being looked into. I'm afraid I don't have more solid information than that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Litana
The team is already aware of the issues with the Away Team using melee weapons, and it's being looked into. I'm afraid I don't have more solid information than that.
Thanks for the update!!
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Knowing that Cryptic is aware of the issue and it is being looked into is good enough for me. Thank you for the update!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Just a bit of further research/in-game testing on this issue - it seems to be oriented around melee-weapon-equipped BO's having non-melee skills.

When tactical BO's are equipped with Bat'leths and given ranged abilites such as "Photon Grenade" in their skill tree, it seems that they are content to use that ability from range, and then sit there.

Conversely, when these BO's are retrained to have exclusively melee-based skills, the required range to activate these abilities forces them to close to melee, at which point the bat'leths are unholstered and used properly.

This appears to support a hypothesis that the engagement range used by the Bridge Officer AI is being set by the BO skills, rather than the BO weapon selection.

Additional note: it appears that the BO's will close to melee, use their trained skills, and then after a few swings in melee will return to the default formation around the player avatar. Once another melee-based skill is off its cooldown and ready for use, they will then charge into melee range again to use it. Leads to an interesting "cycle" of movement that will likely disappear as I rank up and can give them more than 2 melee skills each (so that there will always be a "ready" melee ability for use).

Final note: melee abilites appear to be triggering only when targets are approximately 20m or less away from the player avatar. Consideration might need to be given to extending this to the 30m range that most ranged weapons have, or the "sit while being shot" behaviour may reassert itself in some situations.

Hope this helps narrow things down a bit!