Lt. Commander
This is something odd I noticed today. I have the Unity bridge on my ship, and when I'm visiting the bridge, with no visitors, the GPU usage on my video card goes from around 75 percent (in spacedock) to over 95 percent - I was alerted to it by the fan on my video card speeding up.

It doesn't crash or anything, but I found it puzzling that it's putting a bigger load on the GPU when on the bridge than it does in combat against Borg ships.

Anyone else notice this? My system is as in my signature.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Probably because when your on the bridge you get higher FPS than in spacedock. In spacedock your v-card memory probably is bottle necking the GPU because its full trying to store textures and what not to render all those NPC's and other players, the GPU itself has time to breath between memory clock cycles, ect. Where as on the bridge there is less objects to store in memory so the GPU works faster/harder because its not slowed down by the memory. More or less.

My card heats up rather fast just sitting on the login screen because its running at 170+ FPS, if it worries you you could enable the frame limiter at 60fps, most monitors can't refresh any faster than that anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Well, my thought was, if it was only rendering a single room (the bridge), I'd expect the CPU load to go down, not up... and I have the in game refresh rate (not the FPS limiter) set to 85hz, since I'm still using a CRT. At 1280x1024, a GTX 275 should be able to render the bridge with half it's shaders tied around it's back.

But I'll try that.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, the FPS limiter has been set to 60 this whole time, and the CPU usage is still higher than when off the bridge.

If I set the limter to 120 fps, it will go up to 85 fps (I keep vsync on); so it seems like the card is "loafing" when the limiter is set to 60. Weird.