Lt. Commander
# 11
04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UI_Maven
"To have a bunch of text block your vision the instant you kill a ship... is appalling interface design."

I completely agree, which is why this isn't actually supposed to happen.

Your "in-combat" state is supposed to persist for a few seconds after anyone has targeted you, to give time for ships to blow up, etc. before interactions or contact dialogues appear.

Can you give specific examples of maps/missions you're seeing this on, or is it always happening? Do you recall if you were actually in combat (does it still say "Condition Red" at the top of the screen) or were the contact dialogues just appearing too quickly after combat was over?
it tends to happen the most when more combat vessels are jumping in at the same time or right after you beat the first ship. A great example is the star cluster mission where you defend the astroid base from agressors, you defeat the first ship then the mission updates to say defeat the XX/XX squadrons or waves of ships, after each group is destroyed the dialog box pops up telling you more are coming (the default ui design moves you into a full stop while the enemy ships warp core breaches) and when you tend to finish these missions the gold text flys up filling the screen right after the last ship is defeated.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
"To have a bunch of text block your vision the instant you kill a ship... is appalling interface design."

Your "in-combat" state is supposed to persist for a few seconds after anyone has targeted you, to give time for ships to blow up, etc. before interactions or contact dialogues appear.

Can you give specific examples of maps/missions you're seeing this on, or is it always happening? Do you recall if you were actually in combat (does it still say "Condition Red" at the top of the screen) or were the contact dialogues just appearing too quickly after combat was over?
exploration mission.
approach base.
base gets attacked by four-five waves of enemy SHIPS.

each time a ship blows up, the next wave comes instantly.. no waiting for the 10 second timer.
and it appears that the communication popup is tied to when the enemy ship shows up, rather than to when you get out of combat.

but... waiting 10 seconds for the next ship to spawn would also be annoying.
actually, come to think of it.. the comm popup is kind of superfluous in that type of mission. I know I'm getting attacked, and I can see that a new ship has popped up on the minimap... so just rip them out of the mission completely.

also.. and this is only kind of relevant.. why can't we loot items while the popup is ... up?
"I'm right next to the loot.. but I Can't pick it up cause there's a popup, but I can't close it, cause my buddies want to leave right away / or closing the popup without choose 'yes, warp me to the next pace' may bug the mission so I'll have to redo everything..."
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:

What has happened to me on explore missions (Fed) is I kill the final bad guy and the dialog box for Ops or Starfleet instantly pops up. It's infrequent, but often enough to cause me to change the option to keep my ship moving during dialog boxes (so I wouldn't get "warp cored" on).

This also happens in the "defend-the-helpless-X" missions, where you get a dialog box between each wave of attackers.

I also have never seen the level-up animation because of the pop-ups.

Could you guys give us an opacity option for the boxes so we could at least see through them? An option to keep them minimized but flashing at the lower right of the screen? Anything...?

Z
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
This happens at the end of capture-and-hold space PVP matches, while combat is still active. In these maps, combat should end as soon as the score report comes up (just like in arena matches).

I believe it still happens in Kerrat Borg Warzone (open space PVP), while combat is still active.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
This doesn't happen every mission, but it happens often enough to be really annoying. It would be really nice if these would pop up in one of the corners instead of directly in the middle of the screen.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:

Every "Secure System" exploration mission has these pop-ups occur after every wave, just to tell us to "defeat enemies", as if we're too stupid to understand we still have more to kill based on the mission objectives window still showing more to kill. These pop-ups happen as soon as we defeat the last ship of the current wave, even though we're still at Red Alert.

I've filed bug reports about this while in those missions. IIRC I filed at least once before launch and again after launch sometime, However, that report is no longer listed in my open reports and the closed reports appear to have been clear of all but the most recent. So it seems my report of this issue was closed and deleted, without ever getting fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Possibly related: during star cluster "enemy confrontation" missions, the first squadron usually spawns and begins attacking me before I have cleared the dialog box giving me my orders.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
If the Dev is still watching this Thread....

It happens ALOT in the Fleet action: Klingon scouting force and DS9, so much so that you can die from it because it pops up in the middle of fights.

This also has happened in every Mission i have ever done in a Space Cluster or Nebula. Me and every one i know assumed it was working as intended, if it is not then i think everyone in the game would have bug reported it.

I have not tried any other FA other than Starbase 24 and the only popup there is the one for the ground mission and i have not tested it to see if it pops up in battle
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
The base or ship "defense" missions in the exploration clusters are very bad with pop-ups. Each wave has a BO window pop-up and some of them have a window pop-up after each encounter.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Quote:

I have never seen an example of where a dialogue box has popped up while I was still in combat. All destroyed ships have finished exploding several times over by the time these interfaces pop up. That part, to me, seems fine.

However, I have seen several examples of combat beginning within seconds of a multi-page dialogue box appearing. That part is very frustrating, because given the choice of taking action or reading multiple pages of dialogue, I think most players end up clicking through the dialogue as quickly as possible to join the fight. This occurs all the time in fleet actions where new instructions are being given after every stage.

Another recent example that comes to mind is the Doomsday Device mission, where your tactical officer informs you that the Federation fleet has entered the battle with the Klingon fleet and needs your help. Sure enough, the fleets start slugging it out within spitting distance of you while your tactical officer goes on for several pages explaining how to properly use your torpedoes to destroy the Doomsday Device. Don't get me wrong.. I need these instructions; I even want to read what my tactical officer has to say because I enjoy the writing. But not while a huge space battle is happening right next to me.. I can only read so fast. I want to participate in the battle, so why start the fight with the first dialogue box? Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off on spawning the ships until I close the final dialogue box?