Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP Map Idea: Destroy the Base
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Give the factions a large base on either end of the map. Between the 2 bases, there are capture points. These capture points spawn ships that will assist the players in fighting. This creates a very nice incentive to capture points.

Also, the bases themselves will have turret defenses (some not tons) but these do not respawn very fast if at all. Players can heal their own base and shields, which will give support a whole new role in this type of map.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-31-2010, 11:17 AM
i like it, anything to improve pvp and give us a little extra to do.

capture points should have some pve enemies in case one side does not show up

could do similar things on ground as well by having to capture a weapons plant, or maybe some maps have you doing the assault first from space by taking the defences and shields down then beaming over and capturing the space station on ground. again the station could have some pve enemies too help defend it

one of the biggest problems when you have these sort of maps is that one side might turn up with twenty players and the other side only has five, turning the entire thing into a zerg. perhaps the number of pve enemies), ships or turrets should scale depending on the difference between player numbers, (if thats not too complex

even if they dont do that the general idea is good
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, you could adjust the number of mobs to the number of players, if there is an imbalance. Like 3 mobs for every 2 missing players. Just something to help hold the line a bit, until things get balanced, then de-spawn them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Yes all thoughts on space pvp is great. When we know ground pvp is dying because of op klingons delux.
No wait its not that they are overpowerd its better teamwork on ground
Ground pvp defs vs feds is more nice and hope all the feds will support this more.

Some real space pvp maps would be great.We need more thought's like this to explore.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
concur. It should be in, I think it isn't because "useable" bases aren't implemented.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-31-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
concur. It should be in, I think it isn't because "useable" bases aren't implemented.
yeah, but bases are objects like anything else in the game. They can just flag it as destroyable...give it some HP and shields...there you go.

I have designed modules for NWN and some for Dragon Age.. it is really not that hard to take an existing object and just change the flag on it... assuming they did the same thing.

Furthermore, they can just use a standard base design,..and when it is "destroyed" change it with the starbase 24 model after a big BOOM
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
yeah, but bases are objects like anything else in the game. They can just flag it as destroyable...give it some HP and shields...there you go.

I have designed modules for NWN and some for Dragon Age.. it is really not that hard to take an existing object and just change the flag on it... assuming they did the same thing.

Furthermore, they can just use a standard base design,..and when it is "destroyed" change it with the starbase 24 model after a big BOOM
It isn't that easy. They need AI.
They will be given MASSIVE HP"s and firepower and also have fighters.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
It isn't that easy. They need AI.
They will be given MASSIVE HP"s and firepower and also have fighters.
AI they have. Well....kinda.

The point is it can be done. It would also be a nice change.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-31-2010, 12:03 PM
I can almost guarantee that this already occured to Cryptic years ago.
It will.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
I can almost guarantee that this already occured to Cryptic years ago.
It will.
It will what?

Also, until Cryptic posts anything like this they are developing.. I assume NOTHING with them.

Better to say something than assume that it has already been said in some board room somewhere...and hope something happens.