Lt. Commander
# 91
04-06-2010, 10:27 AM
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...52#post2514352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
The STF's were never designed for casual players . They were (and probably always will be designed) for small groups of players that like to play with each other often and like a challenge. They are not PUG friendly, nor were they ever meant to be.

Not all content will appeal to every player out there. There is an entire games worth of other content for more casual players.
So, straight from the guy who's coding the STF's. You will never be able to solo them and they are intended for a Fleet, not PUG's. Since your comment is that you can't solo them and you can't find a PUG to run them, the answer is simple: they aren't meant for you, go do something else or wait for content to be made for your interests.
Lt. Commander
# 92
04-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...52#post2514352

So, straight from the guy who's coding the STF's. You will never be able to solo them and they are intended for a Fleet, not PUG's. Since your comment is that you can't solo them and you can't find a PUG to run them, the answer is simple: they aren't meant for you, go do something else or wait for content to be made for your interests.
Then Cryptic is in serious trouble, right now all there is to do is STF's, and from the calendar that's all that's coming in the next two months... Plenty of time to loose enough ppl to seriously cripple their income.
Lt. Commander
# 93
04-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
Then Cryptic is in serious trouble, right now all there is to do is STF's, and from the calendar that's all that's coming in the next two months... Plenty of time to loose enough ppl to seriously cripple their income.
Possibly, or they could be putting the effort into STF's first because the majority of people are in a fleet which would imply that as a group, they want to do things together (like STF's). If true this current direction is a good thing. It keeps groups of people happy while the soloists are left dry; that certainly sounds like swinging at the majority to me. Who knows what their datamining suggests, I certainly don't...
Lt. Commander
# 94
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
So I hooked up with some people and got through Infected. Of course I had to respawn while in the queen chambers and was locked out with another team mate. So I have no idea how it ended and that's fine.

The Cure kind of turned me off. Seem only experienced want experienced. Got to the 3rd gate (which is a witch, with a B; no W). Prefer solo missions and if Cryptic isn't adding any then I'll be gone.
Lt. Commander
# 95
04-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus
Possibly, or they could be putting the effort into STF's first because the majority of people are in a fleet which would imply that as a group, they want to do things together (like STF's). If true this current direction is a good thing. It keeps groups of people happy while the soloists are left dry; that certainly sounds like swinging at the majority to me. Who knows what their datamining suggests, I certainly don't...
I think you overestimate the number of players doing the STFs constantly, there will be a lot of players out there with zero content soon.
Lt. Commander
# 96
04-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiedelH
I think you overestimate the number of players doing the STFs constantly, there will be a lot of players out there with zero content soon.
He has made no estimate, and i think cryptic has the numbers of how many people do the STFs and the fact that they (currently) focus on them should tell you that the majority of players do them. Also the fact that the most successfull MMO out there does nothing else than focusing on group content (and really nothing else) should tell you: most people who play a MMO enjoy group content. So i would say it is a save bet if you put your money on the group players

Also you should read the thread linked by legatus, especially where gozer talks about his schedule for the next months:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=147120&page=9

Quote:
Posted by Cryptic_Gozer
I have a couple more STF's I have to get out for the STF crowd, and then I'll be making several cool non-combat missions that are for everyone reguardless of player level... thats pretty much my schedule for the next few months..
Lt. Commander
# 97
04-07-2010, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelteel View Post
He has made no estimate, and i think cryptic has the numbers of how many people do the STFs and the fact that they (currently) focus on them should tell you that the majority of players do them.
It's the fact that he specially says they are not meant to be PUG friendly that worries me, sure the majority of ppl are running them, but how many of those ppl are PUGs and how many actually run with vent, ect, and/or complete them?
Lt. Commander
# 98
04-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
It's the fact that he specially says they are not meant to be PUG friendly that worries me, sure the majority of ppl are running them, but how many of those ppl are PUGs and how many actually run with vent, ect?
And this is the important point, because so so often named "big" MMO had the same problem, they created nearly exclusively content for the top few percent of the player based and the rest didnt get anything. All that only really changed much later when raids got somewhat easier and they added a lot of "casual" content. At the moment it does look like STO focuses only on the top end crowd and the really is nothing else than STFs right now.
Lt. Commander
# 99
04-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiedelH
And this is the important point, because so so often named "big" MMO had the same problem, they created nearly exclusively content for the top few percent of the player based and the rest didnt get anything. All that only really changed much later when raids got somewhat easier and they added a lot of "casual" content. At the moment it does look like STO focuses only on the top end crowd and the really is nothing else than STFs right now.
And by doing exactly that (catering to hardcore raids) WoW gained ~10mil subscribers (11.5mil as of Nov 2008, just before WotLK release) . It wasn't until WotLK that they dramatically changed their focus to attempt to garner more causal subscribers and by all indications WoW is actually LOSING subscribers now. Whether that's because the game is getting stale or because of the changes towards a casual base in WotLK is anyone's guess but the numbers are there: they changed to casual friendly and are now losing subscribers.

As far as STF's requiring "top end" people only. I don't know what to say other than we three man infected because it requires 3 people to click consoles; even before they nerfed it with season 1 I soloed my way down to Ogen and the only reason I couldn't go further was because I needed to click consoles to drop the shield. We run it without vent and just idle banter chatting away, no calling out "do this-do that", no instructions. It's far from difficult and everyone can easilly do it if you have half a brain and don't try to die.
Lt. Commander
# 100
04-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kor_Dahar_Master View Post
I do not need a dictionary and bragging, discussing and celebrating is the result of winning or being successful in a social competition, i can understand how a solo loser could be unfamiliar with the concept ........

YAY.

"Arrogant" is what losers call winners.:p
Still amazes me to see the amount of people coming to these forums to whine under the auspice of providing feedback or the amount of people who want an MMO with no socialization. Bad players come ask for the missions to be nerfed and bad players ask to do these missions with bridge officers rather than taking the time to become better or to learn skills to help working in a group. Kor has done nothing but help people by creating guides and giving feedback/answers to questions.