Lt. Commander
# 71
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaney
Cryptic needs to find balance or they will only have the hard core as the causal will drop off quickly.
Casual does not mean everybody apart from hardcore.

Although a lot of minority groups who are not hardcore like to use that to seem like they are the majority the fact is that there are a lot of non hardcore groups that are few in number.
Lt. Commander
# 72
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
If it's all soloable where is the massive-multiplayer part of the game? By the same token if its pure mmo, where is there room for the casual gamer without 30+ hrs of free time per week? Such a perplexing conundrum...
It's a MMO because 1. It has a player set economy. 2. You can socialize in many ways. 3. You have the ability to group. 4. It's a continuous story. And its because of the continuous story that your paying for it, mostly.

But my whole point is/was because later down the line after everyone has done Infected and what not and is tired of old content, who is going to help ppl who are on it? And whats the harm in making 'outdated" content sole-able?
Lt. Commander
# 73
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
If it's all soloable where is the massive-multiplayer part of the game? By the same token if its pure mmo, where is there room for the casual gamer without 30+ hrs of free time per week? Such a perplexing conundrum...
What makes you think you need 30+ hours a week or that not having 30+ hours a week screws the casual player.

I know plenty of casual players who play for maybe a hour or so a night and they are plenty good enough and fine at the raids ect, they just manage their time and play the raids in stages.

Organisation is the key to casual gaming, unfortunatly some casual players expect the game to be organised for them instead of them organising for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 74
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post

But my whole point is/was because later down the line after everyone has done Infected and what not and is tired of old content, who is going to help ppl who are on it? And whats the harm in making 'outdated" content sole-able?
As far as making these soloable: WHEN it's outdated sure and that's the key point, when. STF's have only been live for a few weeks. I went back and soloed Molten Core, but Blizzard didn't specifically edit or nerf the raid in any way to enable me to do it. What they did was allow my character development to out pace what they had originally built with level 70 and 80 expansions. Even then with the current set up (presuming they make valor rewards actually worthwhile) you'll still have people running the first STF's daily for badges. So if the badge gear is viable, I would certainly expect people to continue running them. Specifically looking at WoW as an example, heroic badge rewards are updated periodically and people continue to run those "old" instances for the badges. In fact now, in STO, the valor badge gear is pretty much as good as you can get.

What Blizzard did and what IMO killed their raiding community was to give everyone access to everything; zones and equipment (e.g. variable instances and badge gear being the same as raid gear). Let alone reusing the same instance four different ways (10/10hard/25/25hard), that was pure garbage to me. Given the choice between the two I would pick a raid that takes 3 months to learn and a week to run it over running the same short instance four times a week with a slight variation any day. Call me nostalgic but I long for the days where guilds/fleets would <insert male chicken>block against a boss for months. Now a days it's all about who can either get the day off work on patch day or stay up/wake up earlier to get a first kill in and has much less to do with learning an encounter or needing any real strategy. Unless of course you count jumping on boxes without falling in the plasma as strategy...
Lt. Commander
# 75
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legatus
What Blizzard did and what IMO killed their raiding community was to give everyone access to everything; zones and equipment (e.g. variable instances and badge gear being the same as raid gear). Let alone reusing the same instance four different ways (10/10hard/25/25hard).
Yet their player base keeps growing. :p Thats what the achievements are for set ppl apart in terms of casual/hardcore. Though IMO casual means no set time, like I'm suppose to know when I'm in the mood to logon here, now, doing this, and then I only play for about an hour tops. Other wise it feels more like a job to me, a job that I pay to do... yea, loads of fun then. Thats why I didn't make it far in WoW, to much of a job once you hit 80. Logon this time, bring this crap, have vent installed, stand here, must devote 2+ hours on this night, blah blah.
Lt. Commander
# 76
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I bet you don't like organized amateur sports too right? Pay to join the league just to have the coach tell you where to stand, what play to run, how and when to score? Let alone having to actually play nice with other people on team, belch. I mean really, who in their right mind would want to play: baseball, basketball, hockey, etc...

Lt. Commander
# 77
04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker88 View Post
So? That just makes it sound like Timestop and waypoints would actually be useful for a change.
So you have no problem putting in an enourmous amount of time to solo a mission, instead of spending half the time on searching a group and just do the mission with other people? Maybe you should simply give the STFs a try, maybe you realize then what a enourmous effort you would need to run it with BOs. No casual player i know would ever spend so much time on a single mission. And that is the point, real people are always faster than you could ever be with your BOs. So, are you sure you really have "the casual" player in mind, when you argue about solo-STFs?
Lt. Commander
# 78
04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
The whole of the cure can be done from start to finish in under 50 mins:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9...01seccureg.jpg

PS::p

Lt. Commander
# 79
04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
MMO's are ment to be social and you are meant to work in a team. If you want a Solo experience I suggest you play Fallout 3. Why you would pay to be part of a gaming community and then want to be anti-social boggles my mind. In WOW you can't Solo instances unless you are over-leveled for it, same is true of all MMO's. Even DDO only has a Solo option for a handful of their dungeons. Casual or Hardcore makes no difference, get out there and make some friends. Learn what it is to be part of a team and how to act in a team. Try and play to the best of your ability. If you wipe try and figure out why and learn from it. I played sports and video games all my life and MMO's are a nice combination of the the game + being part of a team. If you wanna go slower through the 5-mans to enjoy it better thats fine, just find some other like minded people.
Lt. Commander
# 80
04-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Did you ever think he is a Trek fan first and a MMO fan 2nd? Not everyone here has played these MMORPGs before. you do realized this is a game for entertainment? I'm sure he has plenty of real life friends.

Here's the thing. We just want some solo Star Trek gaming. We like the game (generally) and would like to continue to play, but if Cryptic is going to force people into teams then they will loose costumers. It's not that hard to understand.

I can spend my $15 elsewhere. I'm sure he can too.