Lt. Commander
# 21
03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Looking for a special tip to give you an edge in Star Trek Online? Visit our videos section and check out our two latest videos: Tips and Tricks: Expose and Exploit and Tips and Tricks: Flanking.

Link to the news article.
The voice on the expose/exploit video is the same guy that did the guardian. Hahahahaha
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-01-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
Awesome. If it helped just one person, it's cool.
More then one person. I'm betting this one bit alone helped numerous people, not to mention visual demonstrations of effective ways to move bridge officers for flanking bonuses. I know lots of people who KNOW that there is flanking in the game, but not many who know how to set it up properly or use it effectively.

There are a lot of things people don't know very well that could be included in future videos. I know tons of people who don't know that H can holster or unholster their weapons. People who don't know that C can crouch and give bonus damage. People who don't know that double-tapping a direction can do a cool roll. People who don't know right-clicking and dragging can move power icons, which is especially useful in higher levels of space combat power management. Plenty of people don't know there's a button you can hold to walk instead of jog.

Likewise, there's a lot in the UI you can show people. Who hasn't heard someone ask "How you can get to the bridge?" or "Where is the C-Store?" I've seen someone witness another player doing jumping jacks, and ask how such an action was possible. Not everyone knows that /emote commands work, or that there's an entire emote menu icon with action buttons you can click on to do things. Heck, did you know there are even different types of /screenshot you can take in addition to the standard Print Screen button?

This is all besides other very helpful game mechanic and combat mechanic videos you can make, such as (and my personal recommendations) a video explaining weapons fire, specifically how weapon damage is based on the firing arc of the weapon (i.e. small-arc 90-degree weapons like dual beam banks deal more damage then beam arrays or turrets) and that a Mk VI Phaser Array will deal as much damage as a Mk VI Polaron array, but they all have special effects. Explain those special effects, tell everyone how they work and what situations they might be useful in. Same thing with torpedoes. Make a seperate video for energy and projectile weapons even. Discuss cooldown time differences, shield penetration, and special torpedo type effects. Even spending 5 seconds on each type to say the name and special effect of the damage type would be well worth it for new players who don't know.

I've answered too many of these questions myself both on the forums and on IRC, as well as in person/chattng online with friends. Having videos to simply link to and saying "watch all of these" would be amazing. Keep up the great work!

[Afterthought] As a side note, while I am well aware of the feature and see it used quite effectively in this video, I will never pause a zone in order to get a strategic bonus. And yes I know it's only for PvE content. I still consider it unfair, unsporting, and won't give myself a "freezing time" advantage, even over a computer.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
I'm not sure that's something we can do with a huge amount of work, since I doubt the environments can be easily scaled. We'd almost certainly need to remake them, but I can definitely pass the comment along.

I do understand that they can seem very spacious, though -- that's actually what I first thought when I saw the transporter room a year ago. But, they're big for a few gameplay reasons. Consider our camera zoom and control, bridge officers, team members, enemies, and weapon / skill effects. When all of those are combined in gameplay (which they often are), tight environments tend not to work so well.
When it comes to gameplay with the BO's, the solution to that would be a finer level of control on how our officers spread out. For instance, instead of just a large, loose group, we could order them into a single file line, a tight group, or a few other squad set ups. This, oddly, goes back to a game I can't even remember the name of which offered something like that.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
No offense to Cryptic or anyone else, but i fiqured out the flanking bonus and the "expose and exploit" things on my very first ground fight. I mastered them within an hour. What I would like to know are any tips and tricks on space combat (don't get me wrong, it is epic), so i can minimize the damage inflicted during the bigger fights (2-on-1 or worse). That would help a lot.
I disagree, I've been playing for two months now and I never knew this. Thanks for the info cryptic now I can play even better.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Game isn't hard enough to need tactics.

Zerg Zerg Zerg....Rinse Repeat.