Lt. Commander
# 131
04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
I honestly wouldn't recognise her voice if I heard it in a game.
A part of you would...

Z
Lt. Commander
# 132
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
You know, with all the Star Trek actors in various recently released Bioware games, I've developed a theory that they purposefully hired them to make STO look bad, opening up the way for TOR to take the market. And it really does look bad when a Star Trek MMO can't afford to hire Star Trek actors, while a competing company can. It's a dirty move on Bioware's part, and I hope Cryptic decides to add some more Star Trek actors to counter the move.
Actually, some of the voice work for Dragon Age Origins was done before Cryptic had the license. Bioware is full of as many nerds that said, "hey, let's get these cool, interesting people that can do the job."
Lt. Commander
# 133
04-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Don't get me wrong: I would love to have -any- actor from the shows or films to make an appearance, even if it's something as niche as a Red Shirt who died in TOS.

My point is that, we should only have it if it doesn't detract from more important game development. If she is willing to do it more cheaply than whatever value we would assign to a voiceover (vs. a value we would assign to game development), then great!

Otherwise, I'd rather see that money go toward game development, or -- as someone else suggested -- Quark's voice, or some other more memorable voice.

Leeta was memorable for many reasons. Trekkers love Chase. She gets tons of attention at conventions. Her Q and A's are extremely popular. She may seem like a minor character to you, but she has become iconic for many others.

She's an incredibly beautiful women who loves her Trek fans. She is special to many of us in a way that Wil Wheaton, and even Jon Frakes will never be.

Leeta was one of the most popular characters, and Chase has done so much for Trek and its fans. Show some love.
Lt. Commander
# 134
04-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Leeta was memorable for many reasons. Trekkers love Chase. She gets tons of attention at conventions. Her Q and A's are extremely popular. She may seem like a minor character to you, but she has become iconic for many others.

She's an incredibly beautiful women who loves her Trek fans. She is special to many of us in a way that Wil Wheaton, and even Jon Frakes will never be.

Leeta was one of the most popular characters, and she has done so much for Trek and its fans. Show some love.
But my concern is that we would be paying for her beautiful body, which is far more memorable to us than her voice. And we have no way of seeing that body in game beyond graphics, which don't require her sign-off (or price tag) at all.

It's also the reason why I can't imagine STO would be able to afford Jeri Ryan, because we would be paying for her Playboy background and not just her voice.

Again, the basic question is, how much would she (and others) be willing to be paid for their voice talent? And is that cheaper, the same, or more expensive than other more memorable voices (like Patrick Stewart or Kate Mulgrew)?

===

In other words, the forum should be supporting voice over talent -in general-, and not any specific actor. Especially considering that, once a particular actor (or their agent) knows that they are in high demand, their price tag usually will go up to match that demand.
Lt. Commander
# 135
04-01-2010, 05:20 PM
/ signed. I met Chase Masterson at a local con a few years ago and she was great! I would actually play the Dabo mini game if she was a part of it.
Lt. Commander
# 136
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talaxia
/ signed. I met Chase Masterson at a local con a few years ago and she was great! I would actually play the Dabo mini game if she was a part of it.

Thanks for the support! I've heard nothing but good things about her from convention stories. She's a wonderful person!
Lt. Commander
# 137
04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
You know, with all the Star Trek actors in various recently released Bioware games, I've developed a theory that they purposefully hired them to make STO look bad, opening up the way for TOR to take the market. And it really does look bad when a Star Trek MMO can't afford to hire Star Trek actors, while a competing company can. It's a dirty move on Bioware's part, and I hope Cryptic decides to add some more Star Trek actors to counter the move.
Leonard Nimoy.
Zachary Quinto.
Both are heard within 30 minutes of playing STO.
But this really isn't the right thread for conspiracy theories.
And to keep it on topic, I still support this thread's idea.
Lt. Commander
# 138
04-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
It seems we have 1 spoil sport though.
Well, phasers do have a vapourise setting...
Lt. Commander
# 139
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
adding my name to this request...

We DEFINATLY need more trek alumni in game.

hopefully, we'll get some other alumni interested as well...anyone for starting web petitions???

G.
Lt. Commander
# 140
04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendell View Post
adding my name to this request...

We DEFINATLY need more trek alumni in game.

hopefully, we'll get some other alumni interested as well...anyone for starting web petitions???

G.

Thanks for the support!