Lt. Commander
# 531
07-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Tim Russ aka Tuvok!
Its a no-brainer!
Hes expressed an interest.
Watcha think people?

P.S. He also makes a great Klingon. So you get Tuvok and possibly a cool Klingon voiceover too.
Lt. Commander
# 532
07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
Tim Russ aka Tuvok!
Its a no-brainer!
Hes expressed an interest.
Watcha think people?

P.S. He also makes a great Klingon. So you get Tuvok and possibly a cool Klingon voiceover too.
I'm thinking yes, but I'm wondering if the fan response may not be as good for Russ. Just a hunch, though. I'm really hoping to hear back from Robert Picardo, because the EMH might work really good with a sickbay mini-game, or sickbay functionality. So far though, I haven't heard back from him, and it's been close to two weeks.

So, yeah, Tim Russ might be our best phase 2, which is why I started the "Is Tuvok in the STO timeline?" thread. It may be a harder sell though, because there is no content being developed that is a perfect fit for Russ, unlike Masterson and the Dabo mini-game.
Lt. Commander
# 533
07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Nichelle and Walter would probably be interested, as well as Tim Russ, mostly because they really enjoy fun projects that let them explore their characters more. To Serve All My Days was a great exploration of Chekov, and Of Gods and Men, which had a really strong cast and was directed by Tim Russ himself. We had that fun time travel mission in the game, so maybe we could do another and get the other cast members involved. Or some Q intervening that gets us on Voyager for a spell during the Year of Hell for example.
Lt. Commander
# 534
07-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius1986
Nichelle and Walter would probably be interested, as well as Tim Russ, mostly because they really enjoy fun projects that let them explore their characters more. To Serve All My Days was a great exploration of Chekov, and Of Gods and Men, which had a really strong cast and was directed by Tim Russ himself. We had that fun time travel mission in the game, so maybe we could do another and get the other cast members involved. Or some Q intervening that gets us on Voyager for a spell during the Year of Hell for example.
I'm all for it to be sure. Nichelle, Tim and Walter (thinking Bester here as well) would be great!
Lt. Commander
# 535
07-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Bump for Season 2 celebrations.
Lt. Commander
# 536
07-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_illustrious_q
Sheridan, why must you be a killjoy. There's nothing wrong with dreaming of what could be.
If you want to dream then go ahead, dreams arent going to pay actors to do VA work.

Tim Russ, Koneig... would be nice.

I would prefer seeing Koneig as a VA for a Bridge officer... seeing as how Chekov is dead and its going to get REALLY old if EVERY SINGLE VA is limited to a time travel episode. Not only is it limiting, it negates FUTURE re-appearances. Get them as a VA for a BO or a recurring character - you can have these actors come back some point to do MORE VA work.

Tim Russ - Could do Klingon and Tuvok although that means having to work him into the game

Picardo - Meh, dont see him doing it but if he does that would be awesome. Sickbay EMH minigame would be great.

Might even be grounds to make the EMH BO have his voice...
Lt. Commander
# 537
07-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Sickbay EMH minigame would be great.

Might even be grounds to make the EMH BO have his voice...
I think this is the best idea so far. We know that the devs have some kind of plans for Sickbay, and if it involves a minigame, than an EMH would be perfect. I'm having a harder time brainstorming a role for Tuvok.

We'll have the most success if we can sync our desires for a specific actor to the desires of the devs regarding a specific expansion of the game. They'd be most likely to say no if we're demanding a new mission just for Tuvok, or something like that. It has to fit well with where they're already going.

It's just too bad that I haven't heard back from Picardo. It's funny, because a few years ago I contacted him for an interview with a website I was admining, and he was willing to chat with me on the telephone for an hour! It was great.

I'm thinking that his webmaster filtered the request, or maybe he is just too busy. He's really branched out since VOY.

*keep fingers crossed.
Lt. Commander
# 538
07-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Tuvok - Chief of Security at starfleet or something - Perfect for a repeating character in weekly episodes + sitting around at Starbase along with the rest.

If you want Russ for a Klingon he could do any Klingon you want really.

EMH Doctor - Seriously, Picardo could show up almost everywhere. Anything from the Holo BO to a character in all sickbays.
If you want the REAL EMH Doctor - Simply chief of Starfleet medical or something. Bonus points if you made him the guy we have to go to at the Starbase to heal our injuries.

EXTREME BONUS points if you made someone from the Voyager cast do the voice over for the new Fluidic space like Nimoy did for the old sector blocks.
Tuvok / EMH giving us a little VA history about their interactins with the Undine would be rather appropriate.

Walter Knoeig - Meh, VA for bridge officers possible. Voice over for weekly episodes more likely. Time Travel episode always an option but its going to get really annoying.

Seven of Nine - No chance in hell, but Jeri Ryan would have been so much more awesome as a VA for interactions with the Borg / Undine

Weyoun - Give a voice to the Dominion Vorta and perhaps offer an introduction to the new 'Breen' area.
Jeffery Combs can even be used to on Andoria as a hologram etc. for the dueling rings or a mission around Shran.

Martok etc. - J. G. Hertzler would be brilliant for the Klingons and he is one of only four actors to play seven different roles in Star Trek. Jeffry Combs being another.
Incidentally, you can even have him voice over the current Laas mission since that is one of his characters.

Realistically, if your gonna take a pop at a VA. Best make it someone that can be used to full effect.

I would say someone like J. G. Hertzler would be ideal. It gives the Klingons content for VA AND can still be used to enhance EXISTING mission content.

Alternatively, Jeffrey Combs is a valid option as a bad guy for both Klingons and Fed players to face off against. As well as do a bit of work with other characters if you want.

As for practicality, If Russ is willing to go for it, why not.
He can do Klingon AND Federation VA work while doing the Undine Sector space introduction. Possibly even future VA work with new Borg content / weekly episodes if it becomes popular.
Lt. Commander
# 539
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
If you want to dream then go ahead, dreams arent going to pay actors to do VA work.
I'm well aware of that Sheridan. But consider this, getting Chase Masterson into the game had a snowballs chance in a place that will never freeze over. And yet thanks to the hard work of several individuals here on the forums, the support of the entire community and the devs for listening to the players, it happened. That is a huge achievement for the community and is not something to be belittled simply because she was a recurring guest star on the show. Getting Chase into the game is the first stepping stone into the possibility of getting more of the Star Trek actors into the game.

Now I'm not saying that we should go and aim for Patrick Stewart right off the bat, though that should be one of the long term goals. After all nothing every happens if you don't dream big first and then strive for that goal.

The way I see getting the so called big name actors in game is to start out by getting in those fan favorite guest stars and working up. Chase is the start of this. Now assuming that she had a pleasant experience working with cryptic and, naturally, the fans reaction to her being in game being positive, she'll probably talk at the various star trek conventions about her experiences working with cryptic. Especially if she is asked a question by a fan about her experience. This will start to generate a little buzz on the convention circuit and will probably start getting STO fans asking their favorite actors if they are going to record lines for the game.

Now as you have said, most are probably going to outright say no, or a diplomatic non committal answer. So how is cryptic and the community going to change their minds? By repeating the experience the Chase had with another Star Trek actor. And then another, and then another. As more and more Star Trek actors are added to the game, that is going to get the attention of the non MMO Star Trek community. Perhaps enough that they might just want to give the game a try and perhaps sub for a month. Which in turn increases Cryptic's revenue, which in turn increases the dev dollars that this game gets.

This is something that will probably take years... or perhaps a few months if one of us is lucky enough to win the lottery and make an offer to cryptic to pay for the actor's time and talent to get them in game. Eventually though, we could end up with the big name trek stars.
Lt. Commander
# 540
07-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I offer a hearty toast all around to celebrate the arrival of Holo Leeta!

Thank you, Kirkfat, for posting the idea and keeping it alive.