Lt. Commander
# 61
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror-Master
I support this idea but I bet they spent big bucks on Nimoy and Quinto. They might not have the budget for another voice actor
Quinto owes them a refund then. He really phoned it in. Use that money to hire her.
Lt. Commander
# 62
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Someone should lie and tell them we need voice actors for Star Trek: Of Gods and Men, The Animated Series. Then we can get Chase Masterson, Tim Russ, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, J.G. Hertzler, Garrett W a n g (damn filters lol) and Ethan Phillips in STO FOR FREE! :p
Lt. Commander
# 63
03-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
I support this idea but I bet they spent big bucks on Nimoy and Quinto. They might not have the budget for another voice actor

If they have the budget for the mini-game, this would be one smallish part of the budget. It can't be that expensive, especially if a company like Bethesda got all 5 captains to recite technobabble.

Voice overs have been a standard of PC games for over 10 years. Small and Large companies know that voice acting adds a ton to the game.

Yet, MMO players seem to have a different perspective, somehow believing that voice-overs are unnecessary and too costly. It seems like yet another double standard that justifies the sub-par features of an MMO when compared to a SP game, even one done by an equally small company with limited resources.
Lt. Commander
# 64
03-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
If they have the budget for the mini-game, this would be one smallish part of the budget. It can't be that expensive, especially if a company like Bethesda got all 5 captains to recite technobabble.

Voice overs have been a standard of PC games for over 10 years. Small and Large companies know that voice acting adds a ton to the game.

Yet, MMO players seem to have a different perspective, somehow believing that voice-overs are unnecessary and too costly. It seems like yet another double standard that justifies the sub-par features of an MMO when compared to a SP game, even one done by an equally small company with limited resources.
MMO players don't think less of voice overs.

Cryptic is in profit mode now. "Budgets" for mini games are those accounted for with existing staff.

Next chance of realistically getting something like this is with a paid for expansion.
Lt. Commander
# 65
03-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdere View Post
MMO players don't think less of voice overs.

Cryptic is in profit mode now. "Budgets" for mini games are those accounted for with existing staff.

Next chance of realistically getting something like this is with a paid for expansion.
If MMO players don't think less of voice overs, it sounds like they don't expect much, despite paying a monthly fee to play a game.

Sorry, this is my first MMO and I'm deeply disturbed by the differences in expectations of quality. Perhaps, though, that is a different debate to be had elsewhere.

I do appreciate the support though.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
We don't know what Cryptic paid Nimoy and Quinto but I'd bet they were paid more than the guy who voiced the Guardian of Forever. The mini-game is a planned feature, made by folks who are on salary. Chase Masterson, on the other hand, is a request out of the blue. Someone like Jack Emmert would have to sign off on this if they have the budget for it.

I'm not shooting you down and I hope this works out but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.
Lt. Commander
# 67
03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Honestly, hearing voices from star trek really make this game for me. Hearing Spock, both old and new, is fantastic. Even if you can't get Leeta for the dabo girl, please consider hitting up other second and third tier star trek actors to do voices.

I absolutely love this idea. It's so full of win!
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
We don't know what Cryptic paid Nimoy and Quinto but I'd bet they were paid more than the guy who voiced the Guardian of Forever. The mini-game is a planned feature, made by folks who are on salary. Chase Masterson, on the other hand, is a request out of the blue. Someone like Jack Emmert would have to sign off on this if they have the budget for it.

I'm not shooting you down and I hope this works out but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Your logic is sound, but this is why a campaign is necessary. If enough players request this feature, then Cryptic will reallocate resources for it. They've responded in a similar way to other requests and ideas.

WE HAVE THE POWER. We can make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I'm with you, and if I was a bazillionaire baller I would donate the cash for Masterson and Michael Dorn & J.G. Hertzler for the Klingon faction! Hmmm maybe one day
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
I will donate $100 to Cryptic to hear Masterson's voice in game.

That is my pledge.