Lt. Commander
# 11
04-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
Well, here's a thought.

Instead of Scramble Sensors making all players appear friendly (while it also removes the firing restriction on friendlies), it should simply make all players appear hostile. That way, you cannot even help your allies, let alone your enemies. Remember that the description of Scramble Sensors is that it is supposed to make enemies target each other.

How do we get around the name giveaway? Well, that's still a problem even with the current incarnation of Scramble Sensors. All player names and ship names should be scrambled as well.
As you HUMANS like to say in this forum, "This post is full of win."
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-02-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent93 View Post
It would probably be eaasier and just as deadly to transport out components that cause a coolant leak...leading to a warp core breach. Now there's some devious fun!
Sounds like a new skill, "Saboteur". We kind of all ready have that though in the Boarding Party skill. It's a skill I choose not to use when I have a ship with a small crew. Saboteur on the other hand I would use. I'm not sure how many would though. If the shields are down just blast them with torpedos. In my experience though, shields generally aren't down for long and by the time the torps get there the shields are back up (I'm generally not up close and personal). An instantaneous ability like Saboteur would change things a bit.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Well, here's a thought.

Instead of Scramble Sensors making all players appear friendly (while it also removes the firing restriction on friendlies), it should simply make all players appear hostile. That way, you cannot even help your allies, let alone your enemies. Remember that the description of Scramble Sensors is that it is supposed to make enemies target each other.

How do we get around the name giveaway? Well, that's still a problem even with the current incarnation of Scramble Sensors. All player names and ship names should be scrambled as well.
Basically what he said but go a little bit further. Actually scamble the players names on the map. Like temporarily assign a fed name to a kling or just scamble the name so players name and ship are displayed as gibberish as in being scrambled. Also make all ships look hostile so if your a fed all your teammates would look like bops or something or make all ships appear hazy, fuzzy.

The way it works now is sort of lame. In pve it works as stated but in pvp it does not. Occasionally a player might launch a volley at a teammate or heal an enemy but in most cases players are smart enough not to harm their own team. Really needs a revamp for pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Most attempts at integrating scramble-type abilities into the game UI run aground when you're in a group and you have to figure out what happens when you hit F4... do you get the 4th guy in your group or not? If so, then the ability is too easy to circumvent. If not, then the ability is basically an AE stun because you can't DO anything other than attempt to click some random guy and cast stuff on him.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
Most attempts at integrating scramble-type abilities into the game UI run aground when you're in a group and you have to figure out what happens when you hit F4... do you get the 4th guy in your group or not? If so, then the ability is too easy to circumvent. If not, then the ability is basically an AE stun because you can't DO anything other than attempt to click some random guy and cast stuff on him.
I agree, but I would suggest that any targeting binds be temporarily disabled for the duration of Scramble Sensors.

Regarding the map, both the large map and minimap could also be scrambled (complete static) for the duration of Scramble Sensors. The same could be valid for Jam Sensors, as a separate suggestion. So, fog-of-war as a side-effect.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
I agree, but I would suggest that any targeting binds be temporarily disabled for the duration of Scramble Sensors.
I'm not sure the system CAN disable /assist binds easily. And does that also mean clicking the mini-portrait in the party member tray stops working?
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-02-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
I'm not sure the system CAN disable /assist binds easily. And does that also mean clicking the mini-portrait in the party member tray stops working?
Temporarily scrambling player and ship names already affects any binds that use names explicitly. /assist binds do not need to be affected beyond the name-scramble effect. The only binds that would need to be dealt with explicitly are the Target Party Member binds in the Key Binds menu.

Indeed, the mini-portraits should become hidden (invisible and unclickable) for the duration of Scramble Sensors. Team chat should still work.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
*Star Fleet Engineering Team beams on-board a klingon bird of prey. Bewildered starfleet technicians look around and suddenly find themselves surrounded by hostile klingon crewmen*

Klingon #1: "Saboteurs!"
Klingon #2: "How did you transport through our shields, Starfleet?"
FedTechs: "Uhh... actually, we were ordered to come onboard and help with damage control."
Klingon #1: "Oh. Well, come this way. We have a problem with this plasma relay..."
FedTechs: "Actually... we might have gotten the wrong coordinates. It's not like us to impose... we really shouldn't stay..."
Klingon #2: *points disruptors at the Feds* "We insist. you fix our stuff. Then you can go."
Fedtechs: "You won't kill us?"
Klingon #1: "We will... but only once you fix our stuff and get back to your ship!"
ROFL
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Scramble Sensors shouldn't make it impossible to tell friend from foe in PvP. If it did, it would become the new overpowered must-have BOff power overnight. Its relative effectiveness in PvP now is really pretty good, even if you remove the lameness that allows you to use expensive buffs (i.e. Extend Shields) on a hostile target. It penalizes poor or inattentive players by letting you fire indiscriminately at your allies, but as long as you're paying attention you can re-target without too much trouble.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
Scramble Sensors shouldn't make it impossible to tell friend from foe in PvP.
It wouldn't be impossible if all ships appeared hostile with scrambled names. You would have to rely on visual identification of the ship.

The side-effect is that this will place a greater emphasis on recognisable paint jobs (and logos, if/when they get introduced).