Lt. Commander
I've put together a preliminary profile for the Saitek X52 Pro joystick/throttle set up for use in space. It's attached to this message, assuming that the forums really allow uploads. I haven't tried it on the ground, but I suspect it would simply be annoying, although your friends could laugh at you when you died repeatedly.

I don't know anything about X52 vs. X52 Pro compatibility, but the profile creation software works for all their hardware, so you might give it a shot. The "programming" application for the Saitek hardware is comically bad at best, although the documentation is also nearly useless, so there's not a lot I can say here other than, YMMV. This version allows steering, throttle control, target/friend selection, weapons control, and energy-level presets. It also binds the "reset camera to home position" command to joystick-B.

Rather than try anything clever (e.g. have the joystick driver send "/throttleset 1.0" to the game, I just bound the game's keybindings to the controls. Without the joystick, for instance, I use <TAB> to target the nearest enemy, so I've bound joystick-C (a button) so that it sends a <TAB> when pressed.

This model means that everything you want to do needs to have a keyboard binding. I've also (in the attached ZIP) included the key-bindings I'm using, generated with the /bind_save_file command. These bindings can be arbitrary, but since you're very likely going to continue to need to use the keyboard, especially if you have lots of powers, it would be smart to keep things bound in a way that makes sense.

There is a specific problem that I haven't fixed, which is that when you switch in and out of full impulse using throttle-D, the throttle drops to zero, so flick the throttle to get going again. Presumably this would be a place where aliases might help?

O Mighty Cryptickal Powers of Darkness and Code! Please consider adding flight/joystick support. Some of us are old, our bones are weary, and our joints make annoying clicking noises after a few hours of playing STO. Also some APIs would be nice.

I did a couple "Enemy Signal Contact" encounters with an Lt3 in a Miranda and it was fun, way more fun that with a mouse and certainly far less painful. In my house we've named these pains "Star Trek wrist". Certainly a very different experience. Definitely leave your camera in "keep the target onscreen mode".

WARNING: You really need to know what you're doing to use these. These files and this information is offered free-as-in-beer under the FreeBSD license and come without any support whatsoever. Your Mileage is Going to Vary. Using this will probably result in the horrible deaths of a busload of virgins (of your choosing). Be careful.

If you do other things with this Saitek X52 tech, please repost for others. Thx.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2010, 01:16 AM
I've got a pair of Saitek X52's (The normal ones not the nice PRO's)... unfortunately the software for the joystick programming is incompatible with windows 7 (of which I just 'HAD' [sarcasm] to upgrade to)... so until Cryptic (PLEASE CRYPTIC PLEASE!!!) adds joystick function in-game I'm out of luck, and must continue to Icy-Hot the wrist's to play this game. I'll keep trying to get the programming to work and give your setup a try though. Thanks for the hard work!
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm using the Saitek programming app (profile editor) in Windows 7 x64 without any problem. Perhaps you need to 'run as Administrator"?
Lt. Commander
# 4 Outstanding!
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewu View Post
I've put together a preliminary profile for the Saitek X52 Pro joystick/throttle set up for use in space. It's attached to this message, assuming that the forums really allow uploads. I haven't tried it on the ground, but I suspect it would simply be annoying, although your friends could laugh at you when you died repeatedly.

I don't know anything about X52 vs. X52 Pro compatibility, but the profile creation software works for all their hardware, so you might give it a shot. The "programming" application for the Saitek hardware is comically bad at best, although the documentation is also nearly useless, so there's not a lot I can say here other than, YMMV. This version allows steering, throttle control, target/friend selection, weapons control, and energy-level presets. It also binds the "reset camera to home position" command to joystick-B.

Rather than try anything clever (e.g. have the joystick driver send "/throttleset 1.0" to the game, I just bound the game's keybindings to the controls. Without the joystick, for instance, I use <TAB> to target the nearest enemy, so I've bound joystick-C (a button) so that it sends a <TAB> when pressed.

This model means that everything you want to do needs to have a keyboard binding. I've also (in the attached ZIP) included the key-bindings I'm using, generated with the /bind_save_file command. These bindings can be arbitrary, but since you're very likely going to continue to need to use the keyboard, especially if you have lots of powers, it would be smart to keep things bound in a way that makes sense.

There is a specific problem that I haven't fixed, which is that when you switch in and out of full impulse using throttle-D, the throttle drops to zero, so flick the throttle to get going again. Presumably this would be a place where aliases might help?

O Mighty Cryptickal Powers of Darkness and Code! Please consider adding flight/joystick support. Some of us are old, our bones are weary, and our joints make annoying clicking noises after a few hours of playing STO. Also some APIs would be nice.

I did a couple "Enemy Signal Contact" encounters with an Lt3 in a Miranda and it was fun, way more fun that with a mouse and certainly far less painful. In my house we've named these pains "Star Trek wrist". Certainly a very different experience. Definitely leave your camera in "keep the target onscreen mode".

WARNING: You really need to know what you're doing to use these. These files and this information is offered free-as-in-beer under the FreeBSD license and come without any support whatsoever. Your Mileage is Going to Vary. Using this will probably result in the horrible deaths of a busload of virgins (of your choosing). Be careful.

If you do other things with this Saitek X52 tech, please repost for others. Thx.

PLEASE CONTINUE THIS WORK AND KEEP ME UPDATED AT ADZZ.GSXR@BTINTERNET.COM, I have one of these and am HEAVILY addicted to this game, the controller configs etc. as u stated are poor at best, if u could give me a shout when u make further break throughs and for a fully fledged control config with as much functionality as possible we could discuss payment through paypal . Kindest Regards

Adzz
U.S.S Viol3nc3
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Indeed, The Saitek software that comes with the CD will not allow for win/7 support, and will not allow for installation on x64 version of win/7. You will need to find the most updated version of the software to allow usage of the Saitek x52 (Not PRO) version software to install, and as previously stated lynnewu, should alway run program as administrator, especially if you have the annoying dialog boxes enabled that make you confirm 50 times just to open up the windows start menu.... (Mine are always disabled, not to mention quit useless) It can be disabled in user account controls I think. If you require more information to do so, MSG me in game or send a mail to my inbox @Makomea. I hope that helps. Also if you are a cyber pirate, there are modified versions of the software circulating Via XDCC on mIRC and a small elusive few useing Hashfile Bit torrents. I am probably unable to post any links or more information about that here, so feel free to PM or mail. I hope that helps.
Closed Thread