Lt. Commander
# 31
04-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Look at it this way, they are all community sites and all those people can see what issues people are talking about most, it makes much more sence to use people that are very actively involved in th community and actually use time and effort to maintain websites/podcasts, since it shows they are dedicated.

Also, I see no reason to believe these people would deflect critism or hide issues from the devs with agenda's, since they've not even had to a chance to yet, if in a few months those things have happened, then feel free to criticise them of doing so, but its silly to do it before they've even had a chance to prove themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth2000 View Post
So why even have a council at all? All you need to do to get all the feedback you need is to read the forums!
That's not really accurate. We have well over a hundred thousand players that never post on the forums. To be a responsible developer, we must approach these people and listen to their feedback, too. Polls, direct e-mails, newsletters, and the Advisory Council are some ways we can better tap this segment of our player base. Even if they ultimately don't work, we have to try.
Lt. Commander
# 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
Oh, of course! We've done polls for our entire user base in the past and we'll do many, many more in the future. We also have regular community reporting designed to provide us with an accurate gauge of our forums and an early assessment of what our players want.

This Advisory Council is just another way of getting valuable opinions and data from people who may not be inclined to post on the forums or submit feedback to us directly.
So people who don't give feedback in the forums are going to talk to one of four strangers about it? REALLY?
Lt. Commander
# 34
Guys, I really don't think this means that these people neccessarily speak for us, or that the devs are going to stop reading the forums. From what can be inferred from the announcement, these guys are just advisors, nothing more or less.
I dunno, everyone's making it out to be such a terrible thing, but so far we really don't know what the hell this is supposed to do. There just isn't enough information to glean a solid enough idea from.
I propose that, instead of naysaying, we, the players and forum members, propose to the devs and mods to lets us throw some questions at these so-called representatives, to try and get a feel for what's really going on here. Kind of like those "ask Cryptic" questionaire sessions, but these guys instead. See if they're good enough to be worthy of helping represent the playerbase's interests.
Does that idea appeal to anyone? Or am I just spinning my wheels here?
Lt. Commander
# 35
04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
and the kingon advisor is ?
The advisory council is not speciesist. It covers the entire scope of the game, not just Federation or Klingon. In other words, it's not a role-playing clique or a specialized, narrowly focused club.
Lt. Commander
# 36
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
The current members as put on the website were not chosen by the people, for the people. I don't like that fact. Why were these people chosen?
Lt. Commander
# 37
Quote:
The advisory council is not speciesist. It covers the entire scope of the game, not just Federation or Klingon. In other words, it's not a role-playing clique or a specialized, narrowly focused club.
oooooo fair enough
Lt. Commander
# 38
Quote:
I think the idea is that anyone can petition to join the Advisory Council. Basically, it's for players and fans who are inclined to give more feedback -- feedback that gets filtered by other notable players and Star Trek fans. In other words, it's another way for people to be a part of an STO community -- a different sort of fan club, if you will.

For example, participating in the Advisory Council might be preferable to being vocal on the forums for a Star Trek fan who is not really into MMOs and isn't game mechanics savvy.

Certainly, the intention is not, "we listen to them and we don't listen to you." Nothing could be further from the truth.
Define "Notable" a good many times in the past it's people who post loud and often who get selected for these positions. Not everyone does that, as a previous poster noted. Most of the best players don't post at all.

I'll be interested to see how this is handled.

J.

PS: If it's official why a gmail address? I was wondering it it was spam for a second or two.
Lt. Commander
# 39
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaelinTerenes
With respect, I don't think we should expect the devs to look at every thread on the boards. And some threads disappear faster then others, that may require the same merit as any other.
What can those four tell them how people feel about the death penalty?

What are those four telling them on how people feel about skill cap?

What are those four telling them on how people feel about... fill in the blank?

They can't! Why? Because we all feel differently and they can't voice everyone's concerns/likes/dislikes. They will be like "Well, most love it/hate it/etc" And could be wrong in their math to boot because they put their own slant on it.
Lt. Commander
# 40
04-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
So people who don't give feedback in the forums are going to talk to one of four strangers about it? REALLY?
Star Trek fans who feel overwhelmed by the forums and disinclined to post here may prefer speaking with other Star Trek fans in different venues, yes. This is perfectly logical.
Closed Thread