Lt. Commander
# 541
04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I don't see how making a council of people they were friendly with before launch represents any of the gamers.

I like those STOked guys, but when Gozer posted a pic the other day, in the album was a photo of them having dinner with those guys before STO even launched.
Lt. Commander
# 542
04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluant
lol please, yes, cause responses = traffic count... rofl.

keep going. you are doing so well.
You are a troll apparently. Or you would answer what do you base that site being high traffic?
Lt. Commander
# 543
04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galdere View Post
I don't see how making a council of people they were friendly with before launch represents any of the gamers.

I like those STOked guys, but when Gozer posted a pic the other day, in the album was a photo of them having dinner with those guys before STO even launched.
Ah. Interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 544
04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormstryke
He apparently thinks she's responsible for all of those hits. But then maybe so did Cryptic's group make that dumb mistake too.
never said she was responsible for them all... my my, you just love reading into things and adding your own twist.

go on...
Lt. Commander
# 545
04-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
and thus was the point of my post at the bottom of page one...you just said it better....lol grrrrr

Sorry, I was intimidated by 50ish pages. lol.
Lt. Commander
# 546
04-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluant
never said she was responsible for them all... my my, you just love reading into things and adding your own twist.

go on...
You said she got 61 million hits
Lt. Commander
# 547
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Sorry, I was intimidated by 50ish pages. lol.
lmao - no worries...cause you did really say it better then i did....thats why i like it....
Lt. Commander
# 548
04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Just stick to poll's it's easier. The stupidity of the STO marketing team strikes again. And yes making fun of the OP The idea of a council is terrible, I refuse to let a game be governed by some random group while the rest of us have shelled out money time and time again on the game. Just use polls that way we all get a fair say in the game.

P.s. Go ahead and hit me with a infraction Phoxe for flaming/trolling for disagreeing with the mighty Cryptic marketing dopes.
Lt. Commander
# 549
04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Whoa, this thread is still going strong I see, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
I understand. You want more details and we'll certainly provide more. This was just the quick announcement. Like many endeavors, it will grow, change and ultimately take a shape almost entirely governed by Star Trek and STO fans / players. In other words, it's malleable. We didn't formulate a specific terms of service or code of conduct, etc.

Oh, I spend entirely too much time gaming and I always have.

I actually started my career 10 years ago in editorial (Senior Editor at IGN and then a Senior Producer at Ziff-Davis where I helped launch 1UP.com). I also worked as a designer / writer while I simultaneously served as the marcom manager on Hellgate and Mythos. After that it was some work on Earth Eternal and then Cryptic for Champions and STO. So, definitely a gamer. Always have been and always will be.
Yeah, I'm playing "armchair quarterback" here I admit, but this is something that needed more planning time before being announced. I can understand why people are so quick to jump to conclusions based on other games, they don't have any info for this so they are forced to fall back on their own experiences.

Oh and that bit it bold was all I needed to hear. It's good to read and good to remind folks that you're not just being some "marketing guy" but a gamer. So forget you you're working with Cryptic on STO for a bit and you're just playing the game for fun, you read the forums on occasion but you're not a hardcore poster, then you read this:

Quote:
We're happy to introduce the Star Trek Advisory Council, where we speak to members of the Star Trek and Star Trek Online community to learn more about what our fans want from the game.

The Star Trek Online Advisory Council is an informal group of Star Trek and gaming fans who have been tapped to provide input on the development of STO. Based on Earth in the Sol System, the Council will also become ambassadors for their readers, viewers and followers who want to provide suggestions and tips on how Star Trek Online's 25th century storyline might further evolve.

*stuff snipped*
Yes, that does sound oftly like the senate in SWG, doesn't it? Hrmm, "Advisory Council". Might be cool, but who the hell are these "ambassador's"? Why did they get chosen? What about all the bug reports and feedback I already sent in-game? What if I don't want to talk through them?

Ok now, put your Cryptic hat back on...You know that the above (in the quote) is not what you really meant and you're shaking your head at some of the responses (akin to the paragraph before this one) are popping up.

I think you needed to be clear about council "candidate criteria" and selection from the beginning, what you talk about, code of conduct, etc. Also, I would have announced it to be a fun experience that people (who normally don't wanna speak up for) would be keen on joining (or supporting). I would have worked it like this:

1. Quick Announcement about the formation of an Official Star Trek Online "Admiral's Summit" (I'm picking terms here that tries to fit the Trekkie-ness of the game, but sounds interesting). In the announcement, talk about a) what the group is b) what the "summit meetings" are c) how the feedback will be used along side other avenues of feedback, etc. Also, with a link to the email for people to apply or nominate someone else.

1a. (look in-game and on forums for reactions to 1)

2. Quick Announcement about charter members. With a blurb of who they are, if they were nominated, why they were chosen, etc. With another link to the same email asked for people to apply or nominate.

2a. (look in-game and on forums for reactions to 2)

3. Announcement about the 1st Admiral's Summit meeting. Also be sure to say in the announcement that you are going to post an "Admiral's Log" detailing what you talked about and with whom.

3a. (look in-game and on forums for reactions to 3)

Get me? Make it interesting, make it fun, and make it seem like you want to help folks...not like you're following down the path that other game companies have traveled and faltered on.

I can apply this communication problem to another one Cryptic had in the past as well. Cryptic announced some perks for Lifetime Subbers, but within that announcement you didn't announce anything about a "Thank You" gift in the works that you planned to give to all players later for Season One.

Why?

You know (as a gamer and forum goer) that once you announce the lifer rewards, many who are not lifers will balk (and they did!), so why not throw in a blurb saying, "Oh, and for the rest of our loyal subscribers, stay tuned! We've got something nice brewing up in the replicator for you! "

I always get a sense that you guys are thinking up good stuff, but wind up shooting yourselves in the foot because you can't communicate it properly to your audience.
Lt. Commander
# 550
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Again, I reiterate:

I call for those chosen to be part of the "advisory council" to politely, but forcefully decline to serve unless their names are placed in nomination by the players and they are voted in by the players.

If they do not, then they are what they are. Being given "uberfanboi" status is more important to them than actually earning the respect of their peers to be chosen to represent them. Thus they are illegitimate.
Closed Thread