Lt. Commander
# 61
04-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
Sure! Why not? If you want to participate, e-mail that address.
So they have to go through a Cryptic screening to even speak to Cryptic now is what this amounts to.
Lt. Commander
# 62
Quote:
This is not correct. "In addition to" does not equal "in place of." You assume preferential treatment when all we really want is to hear more from more people.
When many folks see the words "Advisory Council" they think of certain group of individuals who's voices are heard a bit louder than the rest of the masses. I think what Ivan-Cryptic is suggesting sounds more like a focus group than an advisory council (but I could be off the mark on this).

Personally I think it's a good idea, if handled properly. But there's the rub, if not handled properly Cryptic won't get the type of key feedback they want out of this. Honestly it would have been better to appeal to fleet leaders for these spots IMHO, but hey if you want in you can always send an email.
Lt. Commander
# 63
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know what you're referring to. I did not realize this was posted a week ago. Link?
Cryptic and players: Do We Want a Player Counsel?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=142318
Lt. Commander
# 64
04-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Sure! Why not? If you want to participate, e-mail that address.
i did Ivan...as i would like to represent my fleet and those that would like a rep from the forums.

however, given the issue, there is not set guidline or basics to follow in how one can partake or become a member.
i will follow up with you when i get a response.

again, i like the idea, but when you say "membership" it denotes that certain people have a say, and with no formal information on who, what, when, wher, and why it leaves the idea in a shadow that peole dont like since it basically cant be seen by everyone.

does this makes sense?
Lt. Commander
# 65
04-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askarr
Interesting - what's the aim here?
Well, the basic idea is: "We're not hearing all of our current audience nor are we hearing all of our target audience. How do we hear more?"

So, in addition to the forums, polls, surveys, calendars, engineering reports, dev posts, etc., we implemented this, "Advisory Council". Maybe the over one hundred thousand active players who never post hear might be more inclined to share their thoughts somewhere else -- anywhere else? Maybe Star Trek fans attached to other sites and clubs might find some value discussing their wishes in a place that is comfortable for them? Pretty straightforward idea: "Do more stuff for fans."

Quote:
I'm leery of giving specific people power over the game that effectively silences portions of the playerbase they personally disagree with. How do you intend to combat this?
I really don't understand why so many people come to this conclusion. There's nothing to combat. We're not giving specific people power over the game that silences a different portion of the playerbase. We're just trying to listen to more people. It's not one or the other. It's both.

Quote:
I'm intrigued by the implication that the council goes beyond STO players to the wider Star Trek community (which is fairly diverse in its strongly held opinions ). I am presuming the focus would be on the question of 'is item X sufficiently Star Trek?' rather than gameplay details?
I'm thinking it might turn out like that, yeah. Debate Y story... Give input on Z comm. console. Could be anything, but I suspect many people who participate in the Advisory Council will want to focus more on the fiction and less on the game. That's what my gut says, anyway.

Quote:
The above is a lot of questions, so if I had to pick one for you to answer: why exactly is this superior to repeated surveys of the entire playerbase?
Who says it is? Again, "in addition to." This is not in place of or better than or superior to. It's more, more, more. Cryptic is evolving. We're communicating more, we're listening more, we're reacting and implementing improvements and changes based on direct interaction with users... We want more, more, more, more, more.
Lt. Commander
# 66
Post Removed
Lt. Commander
# 67
Another Friday, another WTF moment from Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 68
04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Oh boy, this has the potential to end very badly. Just think of other games that have done this, hell even advisory councils in real life government. Sure it could work, but god could it ever **** things up too, as the saying goes if you want to kill something send it to committee. Granted that's not quite what this is, but the potential for things to become skewed is definitely there.

If you're going to do this, please tread carefully, and listen to, seek out, and consider the input the rest of us give you as well. On the forum, in surveys and in game (Via surveys or watching participation and heck even your own experience playing the game). It's really easy to become lazy with something like this in place, but I think it's even more important to listen to all sources or things will quickly become biased.

I hope for the best with this initiative but past experience in other games and history in real life endeavors makes me very skeptical, even though it is all done with what I'm sure are the best of intentions...
Lt. Commander
# 69
04-02-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks! I thought you were referring to something Cryptic / Atari pitched.
Lt. Commander
# 70
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
This seems so 18th Century - "rich landowners" coming together to form a "council" that's endorsed by the "government".
Now it's "website" instead of landowner and Cryptic instead of "government".

Are they going to have the power to indiscriminately report me too?

Excuse me while I go sharecrop Data Samples in the local Star Cluster.
Closed Thread