Lt. Commander
# 71
04-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Trekmovie.com person? Please, please tell me we won't be seeing any influence of that new movie here...
Lt. Commander
# 72
It said in the release that the council is "Based on Earth in the Sol System". So is this an in game council? Will players be able to visit this council building on Earth and leave suggestions for them? Or do we as players have to find these websites or become council memebers ourselves to be heard?

I know it is just another way to get more filtered info from players. It will be a good way to get info from players who do not post on the forum, but play with others that are on the council. But it would also be worth it to have a site in game with info for players to go there to give imput.
Lt. Commander
# 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
meanwhile, true fans and other fleets dont get a say cause they are not as commercailized on thier sites...
That is just not correct. Guys, where are all of these out-of-the-blue assumptions coming from?
Lt. Commander
# 74
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan-Cryptic View Post
Thanks! I thought you were referring to something Cryptic / Atari pitched.
Nah, it was just one of the fans. You know fans... the people that you guys are saying mean less than four select people who were handpicked by Cryptic under the dead of night.
Lt. Commander
# 75
Rekhan,

I am pleased that you are happy regarding this announcement. I find the content of the announcement offensive. It presumes that an unelected official speaks for the masses, which has historically only been possible by force or the threat of force.

Unforunately, the announcement did not include several important details. The duration of the board's term, what are the procedures to recall a board representative, what exactly they have and will recommend regarding the direction of the game, whether they will publicly represent the desires of the subscriber base, or their own desires. Also, the selection criteria to become a board member is not public, and not controlled by a representative of the organization I paid for this subscription, based on the email address in the announcement. When will this definitive information be made available, and to which Cryptic employee should concerns be forwarded to?

Sincerely,

Peter
Lt. Commander
# 76
Ok, so what I understand from the extremely tolerant Ivan-Cryptic is that this 'advisory' panel is an input extension? So say someone doesn't want to post on the forums an idea they have (and I wouldn't blame them) they can go to one of these sites or individuals to get their idea/input to Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 77
Quote:
That is just not correct. Guys, where are all of these out-of-the-blue assumptions coming from?
Probably from the fact that you opened this -- not with open sign-ups to the community and in-game announcements -- but with endorsing three or four sites that look just like that.
Lt. Commander
# 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendel View Post
Cryptic wants to maximize viral relationships using cross-media functionalities to engage current and future subscribers.

The Advisory Council will facilitate, streamline and synergize pro-active communication channels to cultivate, embrace, empower, dimensionalize and enable subscriber paradigms that will enhance brand essence and leverage core attributes.
Spot on. But you don't have a marketing degree do you?

I don't believe in the efficacy of "player councils". Two MMO's that I played for years (SWG and EVE) implemented them, and they were ineffective and reduced to near-joke status rather quickly. But they serve their "intended" (but not stated) purpose: to be meatshields for the publisher to hide behind.

SWG's "senate" is composed of profession "representatives" who are hand picked by SOE, the players have almost no role at all in choosing them.

EVE's "Council of Stellar Management" is actually democratically elected but is ineffective mainly because it's nothing but a popularity contest between the biggest egos and controlled by the largest player alliances who can massively vote.

Neither model works as it should, but at least EVE's are chosen by the players.

The STO one seems based on the SOE model. First rule of MMO's: Don't ever base anything on a SOE model unless you want it to explode in your own face.
Lt. Commander
# 79
04-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Thanks! I thought you were referring to something Cryptic / Atari pitched.
Technically it wasn't me, it was The.Grand.Nagus but I'm presuming that was the discussion he/she was referring to. (And btw, while arguably not a formal "pitch", dstahl did contribute.)
Lt. Commander
# 80
04-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naast View Post
It usually ends up a "mobocracy" with the wants of the few taking precedence and the majority getting alienated.
Obviously, if it's useless or in any way detrimental to the health of the game and the stability of the community, we'll shut it down. But we have to try and engage more Star Trek fans and STO players who don't post on the forums, right? Forum users comprise a comparatively small segment of our playing population. We have to at least try to hear others in as many ways as possible.
Closed Thread