Lt. Commander
# 1 Where is my Red Alert Button?
04-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Would have been nice if in order to raise shields and power up weapons, we would get a Red Alert button. One thing I liked about Star Trek: Starfleet Command was you could issue Green, Yellow and Red alerts. Would be nice if this were implemented into the game.

I know some negative things that could come of this are PvP, zone in and instantly are blasted to bits because your shields are down. Easy fix, have a timer where you are invincible for 10 seconds upon entering a PvP zone. Same thing goes for Deep Space Encounters.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2010, 05:37 AM
My thoughts exactly when I started this week another +1 for alert buttons. It's also a shame Cryptic could not implement the same camera angle uses as well, as I get fed up some times in a busy battle losing track of my target.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Not a bad idea (the invincibility thing)...

Also I think that the red alert (yellow alert, green) would have to be optional
and the default would be it stays the way it is.

But it would be cool if they added it...

Also I think they would have to change the way sheild come on (coming from a green to yellow or red)
If your sheilds are beaten down to zero now it takes time foe them to come back, they should pop on at full strength
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-03-2010, 05:58 AM
This one's been kicked around quite a bit. I think it would add much to the immersion factor, particularly if it were toggled between red, yellow and green. Right now, you can only go red when the shooting starts, but what if I want to power up before then? Or better yet, give me that, AND a way to drop shields for transporter use, a la movies and eps. That way, I can mirror the whole "zoom in, beam in/out, take hits, and zoom out" thing we've seen a gazillion times. To keep the tactic from becoming too exploitive, well, you get hit with shields down....ouchie. It *hurts*.

That would be way cool.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-03-2010, 07:25 AM
The problem with alert status buttons is that they introduce an unnecessary level of micromanagement to the game.

I remember this issue being raised early in the development cycle (2008-2009), especially in reference to other Star Trek games. Unless there is a complex diplomacy system (with persistent consequences for actions/decisions) in place, would there be any reason not to fly around with your shields up all the time?

Because STO is primarily a combat game, even with plans to introduce diplomacy, having the shields raised automatically for you is the simplest and most convenient mechanic in the game.

Besides which, ships already 'pop' (die) too quickly in combat anyway, because reaction time is almost non-existent. Introducing yet another button needed to be hit by reflexive twitch would only further complicate the matter.

In summary, I don't see alert status buttons being added to the game any time soon, if at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2010, 07:41 AM
All the episodes where Worf informs Picard that, Shields are at 80%, 60% etc. That is not something you see in STO, especially in PvP. Worf's warning in this game would come out as a vaporized gasp as the Enterprise explodes long before Picard could issue a Red Alert.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree. We need red alert.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
..... Easy fix, have a timer where you are invincible for 10 seconds upon entering a PvP zone. Same thing goes for Deep Space Encounters.
have they fixed the ability to just wander off to the side of the map...and loiter to get credit for the Deep space encounters.?

I can see where the 10 seconds of invincibility would maek this worse.... people come in....fly off......invincable.... and freeload off in the map corner somewhere.

( I havent done a DSE for months..... so I dont know if its been fixed or not ))
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
They got one at Office Depot...

It's called the " Easy Button " lol.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
oh..and...

Yay is my vote on Red alert Button