Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 151
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Yes to both statements. I find myself nodding in frustration. Why go out of your way to annoy those who in good faith take the time and trouble to write up a contest entry and disqualify them because they don't live in the "right" country?
It was stated that it was due to international law - although that has been cleared up already (read the trivia disclaimer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Why delay the runners up? (It is now a full two weeks since the original date we were told would be the announcement of the three contest winners, the one first prize and two second prizes.)
There was more entries then expected, and they were also at NY Comic Con - they posted a note saying results would be delayed, it has only been 4 days since the winner was posted so it isn't a big deal. I am just curious to read more stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
It gets worse. Why change the rules in midstream from a 700 to 500 word limit? It's almost seems like Cryptic is trying to annoy people. Add to that no word of apology... which is easy to do, and costs Cryptic nothing.
It was a typo - and was fixed within 24 hours. Anyone who is complaining about the 700 - 500 word discrepancy never checks the forum often enough. On the first page it said 500 words and on the official rules it said 700 - the corrected the rules to say 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
I used to be in the PR biz. Lemme tell ya, from my pov (and with all due respect) Cryptic has broken just about every rule in the book here.

Of course, if I am announced as a contest runner-up winner, my ego will bloat, and I'll take it all back. 8D
I vaguely understand your frustration but I think you are taking it a bit personal - not to mention your Cryptic flaming isn't desired, wanted, or helpful. No one wants to respond to a forum when there is a good chance they will be mobbed by people for something they did and tried to correct. Everyone at Cryptic is VERY busy so cut them some slack - I hate to say it but almost all the forums I have been reading with you replying to recently you have been flaming Cryptic, enough is enough already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Well obviously I don't agree either with your viewpoint or tone, Freejack, which is like slapping someone and saying it's all in good fun. You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

When I was in the media biz, if we had a contest, we rewarded it asap. Just sound, common-sense policy.
We never changed critical rules in midstream, nor did we say entrants from one area were allowed, while others were not...

And I see no apologies for the multiple rule-changes in this or the contest announcement thread, having done a search. If you have a link, I'd be interested to see it, but I've been watching this thread carefully.

My criticisms of Awen and Cryptic are meant to be constructive and instructive. However you want to term it, I've never seen anything quite like the way this contest has been conducted, and it is my hope that Cryptic will learn from their obvious mistakes.
They don't need to apologize for a typo fixed within 24 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokolyptic
your story is ridiculous. there may be some bull-headed species in the star trek universe, but no advanced civilization would destroy their own moon as moons are vital to a planet's habitat. A warp-capable species would know this. I could go on and on about this lame story, but I'll just ask, why was this story chosen? And why are you people praising it? I may not be an accomplished writer, but my story is better and there had to be better than mine.
-severely disappointed
It was stated in the story that the destruction of there moon was accidental - please only post if you have constructive criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STO View Post
I hope they do NOT choose any runner ups, too many complainers.
I am starting to quickly agree with you STO,
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 152
02-17-2009, 02:24 PM
I loved the story. And to all you naysayers...PTHBTH. Try and do better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 153
02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shildkrote View Post
Try and do better.
Do or do not. There is no try.

boo contests imo. people type "grats" but p-UH-leeze. these are just demoralizers. it really doesnt make me want to play the game that much more. :/

for those who were...less then fortunate to have been chosen, (myself included) do remember these are peoples opinions not set in stone fact. this is why there are several zillion entries; different takes = interesting. if you like your story, more power to you, thats whats important. funnyman 1 says: no whats important here is the beta key. and my pre-emptive reply: Your knowledge of sarcasm and language is belie the size of your cranium my friend. we will all play the game eventually. the idea is to create a community, share ideas, create something wild and awesome, not choose whos best.

But thats just me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 154 Don't agree, Zott
02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zott
[snips]I vaguely understand your frustration but I think you are taking it a bit personal - not to mention your Cryptic flaming isn't desired, wanted, or helpful. No one wants to respond to a forum when there is a good chance they will be mobbed by people for something they did and tried to correct. Everyone at Cryptic is VERY busy so cut them some slack - I hate to say it but almost all the forums I have been reading with you replying to recently you have been flaming Cryptic, enough is enough already.
Glad you vaguely understand, at least. And I have stood up for the contest winner and Cryptic's decision to award it to him, which you decided didn't help your case against me, and therefore left it off your list...

Listen, like you, I'm ready to read some entries, so we agree on that. Perhaps we can continue to find some common ground?

It's now 14 days - a full two weeks- past the original date (Feb. 3rd, I believe) that the three winners were to be announced. I'm not the only one saying here Cryptic botched this contest in numerous ways; it's my view they need to learn from their mistakes. To date, I see no indication of that.

I'm now a Senior Member, for what that's worth. I notice a pattern on these boards. Those with a bone to pick with Cryptic get hit hard and fast by their defenders (I'll refrain from using the inflammatory term) for daring to speak out when they feel something needs improvement. Not a healthy situation, imo.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 155
02-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I support Cryptic and their decision on the winner as well. The rest are sore losers and poor sports...I'm getting an idea of what gameplay in STO is going to be like just by reading the forums each day hahaha
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 156
02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Still awaiting to see the Special Winners Icons..... Swag? I'm sure we'd settle for a T or cap or club scarf?


I still have my REd Storm Swag from Rainbow 6 Winning is fun Beta has its rewards.. Don'T be too competitive its all worth the wait.

but no Laura Croft shrines.. gave it to the special gal friends kids..they love it next to the geisha in the black lacquer glass box.

Loosing honourably can be harder for some then winning humbly
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 157
02-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Nerdock @ Where did you find that icon?!

As for the story, I didn't find out about it until too late.

It is true that each have different takes on what makes a story.

Hopefully if Cryptic does this again, the rules are much more defined as it seems some were changed in the middle of the contest after a few entries were given in.

Gratz to the winner and hey, to me .. anyone who can take time to write a story no matter what, deserves a thumbs up from me! Way to be creative.

You can see two of the entries on the Hailing Frequency site thread ...

http://hailingfrequency.co.uk/boards...sg8879#msg8879
http://hailingfrequency.co.uk/boards...sg9253#msg9253
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 158 was confused
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
first off, congrats thalasi on being the first.
second, it was a decent story that can be dissected and utilized however cryptic wishes to fit in the star trek universe. I just hope cryptic leaves locations to be habitable.
finally, I dont know about the rest of you, but I was confused as to where to place relevant info like our login name, whether in the work written, or in the email subject, or where?
I hope that thalasi's work places a bar for future work submitted so that anything new has at least that level of quality or higher
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 159
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Glad you vaguely understand, at least. And I have stood up for the contest winner and Cryptic's decision to award it to him, which you decided didn't help your case against me, and therefore left it off your list...

Listen, like you, I'm ready to read some entries, so we agree on that. Perhaps we can continue to find some common ground?

It's now 14 days - a full two weeks- past the original date (Feb. 3rd, I believe) that the three winners were to be announced. I'm not the only one saying here Cryptic botched this contest in numerous ways; it's my view they need to learn from their mistakes. To date, I see no indication of that.

I'm now a Senior Member, for what that's worth. I notice a pattern on these boards. Those with a bone to pick with Cryptic get hit hard and fast by their defenders (I'll refrain from using the inflammatory term) for daring to speak out when they feel something needs improvement. Not a healthy situation, imo.
I'm not attacking you I'm just pointing out that the way to be heard by a dev isn't to flame them. My vaguely wasn't that I was hard to understand it was that I wasn't opposed as strongly as you, or rather than opposed, I don't seem to see it as big of a disaster as you. Adding [snips] to my quote was an unnecessary manipulation. I never said that you where against the winner of the contest, or cryptic for choosing him so do not put words in my mouth. What I did say was to say that the contest was a disaster, and you would expect better is well beyond over kill. Cryptic doesn't need to do anything with the forums to the extent that they are (all the contests, updates, and general activity - up until NY Comic Con - was rather frequent (a reply from cryptic for a question that was answerable would happen within 30 hours). There are games that due better, and there are standards that are much worse. I just don't want to see this activity to diminish because of a few sour apples. So to rephrase everything I said to you earlier so it cannot be misinterpreted:

Stop flaming cryptic on everything they do. I am not saying everything has been perfect, infact there have been several bumps, and a few of them of decent proportions. The fact of the matter is I personally (and I am sure a few other regular posters) get tired of listening to the same 'Cryptic is screwing everything up' dribble. As this game, community, and forum develop some things will become smoother -- until that happens refrain from blanket statements, and before you start a rant make sure you have all your facts.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 160 Still disagree
02-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zott
I'm not attacking you I'm just pointing out that the way to be heard by a dev isn't to flame them. My vaguely wasn't that I was hard to understand it was that I wasn't opposed as strongly as you, or rather than opposed, I don't seem to see it as big of a disaster as you. Adding [snips] to my quote was an unnecessary manipulation. I never said that you where against the winner of the contest, or cryptic for choosing him so do not put words in my mouth. What I did say was to say that the contest was a disaster, and you would expect better is well beyond over kill. Cryptic doesn't need to do anything with the forums to the extent that they are (all the contests, updates, and general activity - up until NY Comic Con - was rather frequent (a reply from cryptic for a question that was answerable would happen within 30 hours). There are games that due better, and there are standards that are much worse. I just don't want to see this activity to diminish because of a few sour apples. So to rephrase everything I said to you earlier so it cannot be misinterpreted:

Stop flaming cryptic on everything they do. I am not saying everything has been perfect, infact there have been several bumps, and a few of them of decent proportions. The fact of the matter is I personally (and I am sure a few other regular posters) get tired of listening to the same 'Cryptic is screwing everything up' dribble. As this game, community, and forum develop some things will become smoother -- until that happens refrain from blanket statements, and before you start a rant make sure you have all your facts.
Ah but as you yourself note, I don't flame Cryptic for everything they do, because the record in this very thread (my post #144) I strongly support Cryptic's contest winner in the face of an extremely harsh attack, saying "Anyone following this thread knows I do not hesitate to question Cryptic, but here I draw the line.I think we have to accept and congratulate the winner." Perhaps you should have all your facts?

You don't seem very consistent in your crusade to defend Cryptic... why have you no words of condemnation for the poster 'Apokolyptic' and his multiple bashes against contest winner Thalasi, and against Cryptic for choosing him?

I tried to reach out to you in my post, asking to find common ground. You turn away, and again, fail to acknowlege that. There's no nice way to reason with you, it seems, so we will have to agree to disagree on the definition of the word 'flame'. Seems to me that you are the one throwing out the flamebait, bro.

I call 'em as I see 'em. You want to call that a "rant" (more flamebait, btw) fine. But don't think that your tactics will stop me from speaking out, which is what your posts appear to me to be trying to do, instead of seeking common ground.

EDIT... LOL! Dude, I failed to notice in post #133 in this thread you saying of Cryptic "Seems weird that they would announce a winner without the runners-up" You also grumble about not qualifying because you are Canadian! So, it's ok for you to be a critic of Cryptic, but not anyone else?
ROFL!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 PM.