Lt. Commander
# 181
02-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zott
Two things - they problem was that upon further research there wasn't enough 'coverage' in the laws and they had to add a clause (which as done before the posting) for US residents only. Now if you read the Trivia rules they do cover ALL possibilities with full coverage they have opened the contest up to all (I have yet to re read the contest rules I am on the way to do that).
Look at the rules for the Planet Exploration Contest - the part about eligibility is identical with that for the Trivia contest. And, indeed, according to the wording of the rules both contests SHOULD be open to all but they aren't.

Quote:
Secondly Canadians were NOT eligible for the Planet Exploration contest and anyone who is telling you differently is full of it. Trust me as a Canadian, I was just as disqualified as you. Please try to refrain from starting rumours on this thread.
It was Awen herself who wrote it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Hi guys! I'm still recovering from the fabulous that was New York Comic Con and trying to get back on track. I haven't been able to post much on the forums this week simply because I've been swamped with some offline issues that I'm working on. One of them was sorting through the 500 entries that we got for the Planet Exploration Contest. Holy Cow!!! You guys are creative and I love it!

Something that I've been getting alot of PMs about lately is the contest rules and who is and is not qualified for contests. I can assure you that we're working on it. So this is how it stands - If you are in the US, you qualify. If you are in Canada and don't live in Quebec, you qualify. If you are outside of those two territories, for now, you do NOT qualify. I'm working on getting this changed. I'm working hard and Zinc is right there behind me to get this all settled.
Lt. Commander
# 182
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheftu View Post
Look at the rules for the Planet Exploration Contest - the part about eligibility is identical with that for the Trivia contest. And, indeed, according to the wording of the rules both contests SHOULD be open to all but they aren't.

It was Awen herself who wrote it...
Oh wow - I totally missed that post. I apologize deeply. I do know that the Planet Exploration rules were updated frequently throughout the contest - So I imagine this is the similarities to the official rules.

Anyways once again sorry for my previous post I missed Awens post so that is my bad.

It does seem odd then that they would do that - just leave the contest and official rules alone - adjusting them makes it difficult.

I understand more fully your frustration then - I hope that they figure out the details for the European contestants then.
Lt. Commander
# 183
02-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Wanted to show everyone this so the frustration can stop -

Quote:
:p:pOK here's another update!

Contest rules worked out as long as I am just giving away beta keys - World Wide! That's right everyone gets to enter the next contest. It will NOT be a 10k word max hahahaha. My poor poor eyes in that case.

I really appreciate your support guys and no I'm not going to tell you which ship it is. :p That spoils the surprise and I love surprises.

I did have a good time in NYC thanks!

I'm working on getting the next Ask Cryptic to you for next week.
Lt. Commander
# 184
02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Quote:
No it did state in the rules that the contest was only open to us residents. Which is why All europeans and canadians where disqualified. I am canadian and spent a week writing my essay - even though I knew it wouldn't win I thought the devs might enjoy the read.
No, you're wrong - these is the original text of the contest rules, only contests with a total cash value of the prize greater than zero dollars are only open to US residents... which was not the case for this one.

Quote:
3. Eligibility

3.(a). THIS IS A SKILL CONTEST. NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.

3.(b). If the total cash value of the Prizes is zero dollars, then the following eligibility rules apply: Contest is open to anyone who agrees to the terms of this Agreement, excluding every national, state, local, or other jurisdiction in which it is prohibited or restricted by any law, statute, regulation, or other appropriate authority (hereafter "Participant"). Sponsor, Sponsor Partner, and their affiliates, subsidiaries, partners, prize providers, officers, employees, and subcontractors do not warrant that this Contest may be entered legally in any particular jurisdiction.

3.(c). If the total cash value of the Prizes is greater than zero-dollars, then the following eligibility rules apply: Contest is open to any current legal resident of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia (excluding every national, state, local, or other jurisdiction in which it is prohibited or restricted by any law, statute, regulation, or other appropriate authority, and in particular Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. territories and U.S. military installations located in a foreign country) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older (hereafter "Participant"). Sponsor, Sponsor Partner, and their advertising and promotional agencies and all of their respective employees, consultants, representatives and agents, and the immediate family members of and persons domiciled with any such employees and agents, and any judges or other parties involved in any aspect with the creation, production, operation, execution and fulfillment of the Contest, and the immediate families or household members of each are not eligible to participate. Sponsor, Sponsor Partner, and their affiliates, subsidiaries, partners, prize providers, officers, employees, and subcontractors do not warrant that this Contest may be entered legally in any particular jurisdiction.
As I already wrote - Canadians are NOT disqualified:

Quote:
Something that I've been getting alot of PMs about lately is the contest rules and who is and is not qualified for contests. I can assure you that we're working on it. So this is how it stands - If you are in the US, you qualify. If you are in Canada and don't live in Quebec, you qualify. If you are outside of those two territories, for now, you do NOT qualify.
Quote:
I don't know about the finite details for European law, but I do know that it took the length of the contest for canadians to be allowed in the next contest. So the canadians were not 'suddenly' eligible. If you notice on the Trivia Contest the rules have been reworded so ANYONE can enter, but Cryptic isn't at fault if your international laws do not allow it - so in theory you are allowed to enter future contests as well.
In theory I was allowed to enter already this contest.

Quote:
the rules did dictate that you were able to re-submit and the most recent submission would be taken as the final - this meant that all the other entrants had to do was shave 200 words off of there essay. I know that this isn't easy, and most likely not even possible with some of the entries. So I do understand the frustration but the rules did correct for this that is why my opinion is that - yes it was unfortunate but it wasn't a disaster and did not deserve an apology.
Right... but that would require that they know that there was an alteration in the rules...

Quote:
This is news to me so I won't say it isn't true, but I will say that it may be due to a different reason -- I am not sure if that is the case so I will have to go through those threads with a fine tooth comb.
[...]
I would also like to restate - without all the facts please refrain from flaming. I do understand the international frustration, and I will go through the Trivia rules and check but I believe from the last time I went through it that it made it open to all who wanted to play the trivia game.
Look at the thread for the forth Trivia-day... matt4tay got the point already, then they changed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslanova
I have updated the Trivia contest score page to reflect the first correct North American answer.
Later on in the thread the new "North American"-winner admitted that he is from UK too... this time without any further "updates" through the devs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manx View Post
This is awkward... I'm from the UK too. I shall inform the devs.
Lt. Commander
# 185
02-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Oh wow - I totally missed that post. [...]
Arrgh... sorry, I read this only after my last post, otherwise I would have make it shorter...

Thanks for the update about further contests - is it a quote from these forum? I haven't seen it so far... it's good news, but I can't help feeling a little bit cheated about the last one nevertheless...
Lt. Commander
# 186
02-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheftu View Post
Arrgh... sorry, I read this only after my last post, otherwise I would have make it shorter...

Thanks for the update about further contests - is it a quote from these forum? I haven't seen it so far... it's good news, but I can't help feeling a little bit cheated about the last one nevertheless...
I was going through dev posts and found it.

And as far as the Trivia... - that is awkward. I imagine that is why the contest stopped early
Lt. Commander
# 187
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalasi View Post
It specifically stated that the destruction of the entire moon was not intended. The aim was just to wipe the moon clean of life with massive volcanic eruptions all over the moon at the same time.
i think i need to say that what i meant by lame referring to thalasi's story, i meant lame for a contest winner. thalasi, your story was a fine story, but me and a lot of other people obviously cant understand how it won. i dont care that mine didnt win, but these people that cant handle our complaints about the contest results, to me, are just pessimistic. honestly, i didnt even read the whole thing. i got bored of it and started reading this thread to see what other people thought. i read most of it though and got the jist of the story, but just didnt capture my interest. my apologies for the misconception. thalasi won and obviously theres no going back. but ive never lost interest in any star trek episode, even the musicals, lol
Lt. Commander
# 188
02-18-2009, 06:58 PM
didnt dr. evil want to do that? with the volcanoes?
Lt. Commander
# 189
02-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Congratulations. I had such high hopes for mine but I ran out of words so I don't think the story made much since.
Lt. Commander
# 190 oh well...
02-19-2009, 08:19 AM
Any bets there are some bleeding eyes at Cryptic after reading all those entries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLP_Sidewinder View Post
Congratulations. I had such high hopes for mine but I ran out of words so I don't think the story made much since.
Reckon it is back to the drawing board for me.
Closed Thread