Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 201
02-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalasi View Post
I was inaccurate in saying their were no asteroids orbiting planets when I meant asteroid belts(which I did clarify later in that sentence in relation to the Star Trek universe). However, although Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus have many moons which have been captured in orbit they are considered irregular satellites and never referred to as an asteroid belt. Furthermore, the rings of the various planets are not made up of billions of asteroids as you said but of mostly very small particles. For instance, the rings of Saturn are mostly ice while the others are mostly dust.
Not true, the outer edge of Saturn's rings are house-sized objects, which get smaller and smaller until you get to the dust-sized particles in the Inner rings.

In my own story, I used those asteriods saying it was from the remnant of the planet's moon that was destroyed by gravitational stress caused by a failed quantum fillament experiement.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 202
02-20-2009, 01:35 AM
It's Friday... where are those runner-ups?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 203
02-20-2009, 02:54 AM
This is my entry:

www.sheftu.net/pictures/emangry.jpg

It's a lot less then 500 words, but I wanted to make it look like the PADD of a Star Trek science officer who just finished the exploration of a new culture on this planet, so I focused more on the presentation of my entry and its originality and creativity then on telling a whole story.

Notes:
  • The padd itself is photoshopped - I admit, I was a little... eh... creative with its colors, but I used a original screenshot as reference.
  • I let me inspire by the blue nebula on the opposite side of the planet and its striking red color.
  • "Emangry" is a acronym of "Germany", "Benlarbesit" and "Tzifretie" came from "Arbeitsleben" (= working life) and "Freizeit" (= leisure time).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 204
02-20-2009, 10:09 AM
My story wasn't eligible to win because I'm in the UK. Shame I spent the time writing it and sending it in before they told us but I don't mind so much because the winner was so much better then mine anyway Congrats

Here it is if anyone is interested:

The Cretoirians made every effort to make us welcome and to enjoy the resources of their planet but it was obvious that they were not as caring towards their home world it as they were towards us.

The atmosphere can sustain humanoid life but only just. Even short exposure would prove extremely hazardous according to our chief medical officer, Am’Jel. It contains toxins such as heavy metals and ionic particles. Crewmembers were advised to stay indoors when visiting the planet.

Our hosts seemed unconcerned about their predicament; in fact upon investigation it was obvious that the manufacturing plants on Cretoiri were exacerbating the problem. Buildings we visited were full of devices of various designs. Some appeared to have a use such as entertainment or media storage but many seemed to be there just to enhance the décor.

As in all first contact situations every effort was made not to upset diplomatic relations but I felt there was no option but to ask Darrcoi, the ambassador, why such damage had been caused to Cretoiri. Instead of being offended Darrcoi was thrilled at our interest in the pollution. He informed us that this was intentional.

Centuries ago, when Cretoiri was still a developing world, the H’Arca, an advanced race, visited the planet. They provided the Cretoirians with many new technologies including replicators and transporters. This wonderful new machinery led to the emergence of a religion, one that worshiped technology. Devotion required that you owned the latest devices and strived to attain as many as possible.

This behaviour caused Cretoiri to deteriorate rapidly. Within a century life became difficult to sustain and pollution was killing many. Without discovering their own technology, the Cretoirians were unable to rectify the problems it caused. When it appeared that life could get no worse the H’Arca returned.

Shocked at what they found the H’Arca began repairing the eco-systems of Cretoiri. They reintroduced animal and plant species that had become extinct. After several decades the world was again lush and green as well as providing food and clean air. Before they left 250 years ago they provided even more new technology.

The Cretoirians have destroyed many of their planet’s resources because they believe that the H’Arca will return when the planet’s health again reaches a point where they are needed. The Cretoirians are certain that this is what they are expected to do by their benefactors. We offered our assistance with removing the pollution but this was refused as to do so would show a lack of faith in the H’Arca.

Before leaving, we provided them with media from Earth’s twentieth and twenty-first centuries. Included were many records that dealt with the pollutants of the period as well as what remedial action was taken. We hope that should the H’Arca never return the Cretoirians will attempt to deal with their problems themselves.

Seeing the effects first hand of providing a civilisation with advances that they are not ready to understand demonstrates the necessity for the prime directive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 205
02-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalasi View Post
I was inaccurate in saying their were no asteroids orbiting planets when I meant asteroid belts(which I did clarify later in that sentence in relation to the Star Trek universe). However, although Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and Uranus have many moons which have been captured in orbit they are considered irregular satellites and never referred to as an asteroid belt. Furthermore, the rings of the various planets are not made up of billions of asteroids as you said but of mostly very small particles. For instance, the rings of Saturn are mostly ice while the others are mostly dust.

In any event the whole thing is open to interpretation when considering the only difference between some moons and an asteroid is nothing but semantics so I dont mind saying that I could be entirely wrong depending on who you ask.
Dear THALASI, I agree with you as regard to the problem of how we define what is an ASTEROID. As you probably already know for example there is presently a big debate going on as to wether PLUTO is just a "large asteroid" or a "small planet". As you said it is all about semantics. My personal definition is that "asteroids" are super abundant but are generally being called "large meteorites". This is due to the idea that only objects in the "Asteroid Belt" are asteroid. I however, see all large meteoric object as being "asteroid". But that is me. My definition. Others speak differently. It is great that you are thinking about space and I hope that you will have the chance to visit the Rings of Saturn personally so that you will be able to measure the size of the "particles" that consitute the rings and thus be able to make a less theoretical statement. As viewed from Earth the Rings of Saturn appear to be composed of "dust" but I suspect that when we actually go there we will be astounded to discover that the "particles" are actually MASSIVE in proportion. In my opinion any object larger than ONE KILOMETER in diameter is worthy of being given the ellustrious title of ASTEROID. Objects less than one kilometer are thus in my opinion mere meteoric. As viewed from Earth 34 million miles distant appearing to be near to Saturn in the constellation of LEO this FEBRUARY 24 you will be able to see COMET LULIN. Amazingly it is an object with a diameter equal to that of Jupiter ! Comets are increadable ! Interestingly comets vary in size. The larger and gravitationally profound comets like LULIN carry with them a whole flotilla of meteoric material some of which is asteroid in proportion and I have seen photographic evidences of "planets" in orbit around such larger comets as they plough through our Solar System. The Vatican Observatory is permanently dedicated to Comet Research. Best wishes. Enjoy the prizes. Always a friend. Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 206
02-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post
Dear THALASI, I agree with you as regard to the problem of how we define what is an ASTEROID. As you probably already know for example there is presently a big debate going on as to wether PLUTO is just a "large asteroid" or a "small planet". As you said it is all about semantics. My personal definition is that "asteroids" are super abundant but are generally being called "large meteorites". This is due to the idea that only objects in the "Asteroid Belt" are asteroid. I however, see all large meteoric object as being "asteroid". But that is me. My definition. Others speak differently. It is great that you are thinking about space and I hope that you will have the chance to visit the Rings of Saturn personally so that you will be able to measure the size of the "particles" that consitute the rings and thus be able to make a less theoretical statement. As viewed from Earth the Rings of Saturn appear to be composed of "dust" but I suspect that when we actually go there we will be astounded to discover that the "particles" are actually MASSIVE in proportion. In my opinion any object larger than ONE KILOMETER in diameter is worthy of being given the ellustrious title of ASTEROID. Objects less than one kilometer are thus in my opinion mere meteoric. As viewed from Earth 34 million miles distant appearing to be near to Saturn in the constellation of LEO this FEBRUARY 24 you will be able to see COMET LULIN. Amazingly it is an object with a diameter equal to that of Jupiter ! Comets are increadable ! Interestingly comets vary in size. The larger and gravitationally profound comets like LULIN carry with them a whole flotilla of meteoric material some of which is asteroid in proportion and I have seen photographic evidences of "planets" in orbit around such larger comets as they plough through our Solar System. The Vatican Observatory is permanently dedicated to Comet Research. Best wishes. Enjoy the prizes. Always a friend. Live long and prosper.
All I can say to that silly argument is that If Phobos and Deimos are moons then pluto should be allowed to keep the title of Planet.


-avery
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 207 Any progress?
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolonael View Post
It's Friday... where are those runner-ups?
Perhaps Awen can enlighten us as to the status of the runner-ups announcement...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 208
02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Wynn
Perhaps Awen can enlighten us as to the status of the runner-ups announcement...
That, plus I'm looking forward to seeing Thalasi get that spifftacular new forum title.

It's funny the little things that can motivate people, isn't it?

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 209
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
That, plus I'm looking forward to seeing Thalasi get that spifftacular new forum title.

It's funny the little things that can motivate people, isn't it?

--Flatfingers
Not *funny* at all, I think that forum swag is great I would participate in contests, just for the chance at a cool title or signature
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 210 Yeah...
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfingers View Post
That, plus I'm looking forward to seeing Thalasi get that spifftacular new forum title.

It's funny the little things that can motivate people, isn't it?

--Flatfingers
Not only Thalasi, but the two runners-up get the title unless I'm mistaken. "Explorer"- that's a fine title in recognition.

Should I not be chosen as a runner-up, I will post my story, as others have. I have had reservations about doing so until the announcement, however.

It's my understanding that the runners-up are already chosen, but that a tech glitch of some kind is holding up the announcement. Again, possibly Awen can give us an update.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 PM.