Lt. Commander
# 231
03-11-2009, 02:58 AM
I may post another story. Just kinda zapped me in some way. I'm not slighting them -- just disappointed. ST:O didn't even reply back to an email I sent a week ago (in response to the email they sent me notifying me of the runner up).
I was also hoping to read some of the other stories that were very good. I don't have a lot of time to spend on here, but I like being as involved as I can.
You're right that they don't owe the fans here anything. But common courtesy and a few minutes of your time goes a long, long way. It's been mentioned many times before - but many people are interested in the problems.
It's funny, because there's probably enough talent here to tell them how to fix the problem. I'd imagine it's a 'technical' issue with not knowing how to customize the forums (which look to be an out-of-the-box solution like vBulletin).
Lt. Commander
# 232
03-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Live Long and Prosper!
Lt. Commander
# 233
03-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't think anyone has taken this personally. I think that the lack of communication from Cryptic for weeks after they were supposed to announce the runners up followed by a small foot note by Awen in a completely different thread is (a) insulting to everyone who was waiting to hear how things were going on and (b) really bad Public Relations.

For a Community Manager, Awen has done pretty well but this represents a break in that almost-spotless track record and I pray Cryptic do their best to avoid this in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 234
03-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Agreed. It's been done well for the most part. It was just frustrating having to spend time trying to find answers and mostly just speculation. Would have been nice to have an announcement in an easy to find location - or a follow up email or something.
Lt. Commander
# 235
03-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Whats the big deal guys? Are you super sad that you did not win? Suck it up cause life is like that Im going to say this once and please do not take offense. You sound really childish complaining like this! Its true. From Awens perspective, he knows what he did, and yes it was a mistake, but there is a point at which you stop beating the dead animal (the animal being this website you guys love to use to complain on). Stop whinning, cause you ruin it for everyone else
Next time some one wins, congrats are in order, and for all you know, it is you(the reader) Everyone has an equal chance to win this prize, and grats to who ever does!! Until we know, have some fun. You can hope it is you, I am not trying to kill anyones fun, just remind you that what you say on this forum actually has an affect on fellow members. Now quit being a downer, and lighten up! I love this community, but you guys just need to get out of this negative rut!

That is all, and feel free to throw words if you feel I have offended you. This was never intended as a insult, however a cold slap to the face with the book of reality:p

Oh yah: this is for those who it pertains too. I have read like every post on this thread, which has nothing in its descritption about it being for complaining.
Lt. Commander
# 236
03-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReginaldo View Post
Whats the big deal guys? Are you super sad that you did not win? Suck it up cause life is like that Im going to say this once and please do not take offense. You sound really childish complaining like this! Its true. From Awens perspective, he knows what he did, and yes it was a mistake, but there is a point at which you stop beating the dead animal (the animal being this website you guys love to use to complain on). Stop whinning, cause you ruin it for everyone else
Next time some one wins, congrats are in order, and for all you know, it is you(the reader) Everyone has an equal chance to win this prize, and grats to who ever does!! Until we know, have some fun. You can hope it is you, I am not trying to kill anyones fun, just remind you that what you say on this forum actually has an affect on fellow members. Now quit being a downer, and lighten up! I love this community, but you guys just need to get out of this negative rut!
Your point is flawed in that no one is actually whining. The only posts I have seen so far have (rightfully) pointed out that the runners up were supposed to be revealed publicly a week after the initial winner was announced and they never were. Add that to the already stretched point that Awen then went and announced that the runners up had (a) been notified privately and (b) would not be revealed publicly by Cryptic in an arguably completely unrelated thread that was not being watch for news about this particular contest and you should be able to see - without much lateral think - why some of us are a tad annoyed about the whole fiasco.

And let me make it clear now, it was a fiasco. There are many things that could have been done to alleviate our frustrations but nothing was said for so long the we began to get a little annoyed at being offhanded like we were.

If you seriously think rightfully criticising a fault is putting a whole black cloud over the community, then you really have a skewed perspective on this. If we don't criticise even the smallest of problems, you leave room for bigger problems in the future. All that we have done is said, "hey, Cryptic! What happened here was wrong and shouldn't happen again!" I'm pretty sure that no one at Cryptic or in the community as a whole is taking that as completely out of order and - if I the roles were swapped - I'd be thankful that the community were taking so much of an interest that they notice the little things.

I think that the people who are complaining here have been very, very reserved. We have kept it to this thread and this thread alone. We have constructively pointed out the problem and even pitched some ideas as to how we could be appeased should this happen in the future. We haven't started any QQ threads and we have been polite and respectful of the position Awen and Cryptic are in. Nobody has blown this out of proportion so far as I can see. That is simply a testimony to how much we all care about STO and the community surrounding it and is in no way the, "negative rut," you label it.

Quote:
That is all, and feel free to throw words if you feel I have offended you. This was never intended as a insult, however a cold slap to the face with the book of reality:p

Oh yah: this is for those who it pertains too. I have read like every post on this thread, which has nothing in its descritption about it being for complaining.
I'm sorry but no cold slap on the face was achieved. You've actually gone and taken a fairly lax conversation and blown it out of all proportion on your own :s
Lt. Commander
# 237
03-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Shovel? Check...

Hole? Already there. Check...

Deeper and deeper and deeper... check.

Hah. Give it a rest.
Lt. Commander
# 238
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor Zexx
No offense. But you seem to be taking this whole thing really personally. I'd guess you didn't get an email saying you won anything. You haven't paid a single penny for this game. I just don't see what your stake in this argument is going further -- other than arguing for the sake of keeping the argument going.

Which isn't very Federation like behavior.

Sometimes its simply best to put stuff behind you and look to the future. New contests! New content! New stories! Help build a forum instead of tear it down, you know brother?
omg i love you
Lt. Commander
# 239
03-25-2009, 08:26 PM
It's been a month and a half since the Planet Exploration Contest, Admiral. At this point, I doubt she ever will tell us who the runners-up were. Frankly, I don't see why not, because it would only take a moment to look at the notes and post it online.

I'm not sure what kind of chaos goes across her desk as a Community Relations Manager for Cryptic, but judging from personal experience in similar fields (for the USAF), she's simply overloaded. (Or by their twitters, they too busy playing STO and not doing their jobs. :p)

Since I don't know what's really going on, all I can suggest to you Awen, get yourself an assistant and delegate some of that workload.
Lt. Commander
# 240 Actually...
03-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
It's been a month and a half since the Planet Exploration Contest, Admiral. At this point, I doubt she ever will tell us who the runners-up were. Frankly, I don't see why not, because it would only take a moment to look at the notes and post it online.

I'm not sure what kind of chaos goes across her desk as a Community Relations Manager for Cryptic, but judging from personal experience in similar fields (for the USAF), she's simply overloaded. (Or by their twitters, they too busy playing STO and not doing their jobs. :p)

Since I don't know what's really going on, all I can suggest to you Awen, get yourself an assistant and delegate some of that workload.
I believe at least one runner-up came forward, but last I looked had not gotten the title in their signature. If I remember correctly, it was in the holo-deck section of the forums.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel it needs to be said loudly, and often, that in her tone and management of these contests, Awen has soured a lot of people. You can only mess up so many times before it's obvious you are in the wrong job.
Closed Thread