Lt. Commander
Is there a config file or way to set the screen resolution the game should load in outside of the game? A config file or optional setting from the launcher?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
nothing from outside that I am aware of outside of game, only the ingame options.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
goto E:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata and find Gameprefs.Pref
change this
PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenHeight 1050

PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenWidth 1680
to
PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenHeight 9489456132

PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenWidth 1564564

or whatever.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintri View Post
goto E:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\Localdata and find Gameprefs.Pref
But how do I open this with Notepad or Notepad++ Because it is a .Pref file, wouldn't that cause some type of issue with attempting to open it to edit the settings?

Actually, I just did open it with Notepad++, so My question is answered, but my other question would really need some help.

Every single time I start up my computer in the morning, the settings for Graphics have changed from what I had them set to. Now I never had this problem at the start of the game. Everything worked perfectly fine, but when I was closing a screen about a week ago, I accidently clicked the "Restore Down/Restore Up" Button, which is the 2 little squares that are in between the - and X that you see at the top right hand corner on every website.

When I accidently clicked that, my entire look and feel of the game just really badly changed. My Screen Resolution is recommended for 1600 x 900 (Landscape) and I run a 32 bit OS for Windows 7 Home Premium. But, i don't really know why, but when I clicked that button accidently changed some settings. I have since tried going to settings and in the Video area, I click Restore Default, and it fixes the look of the screen a lot better, but my character and my Bridge Officers, all are looking like they are Anorexic.

I have also gotta keep changing the Scale option in the Basic Tab in settings and again, even though I am able to get that to reasonable look and feel, but like with the graphic settings, they always revert back.

So with all that in mind, what can I do to stop the game from resetting what I have already set. I think I remember that there is some kind of Read Only option, or something similar. But I don't know if the right file will allow that option, but I am also concerned that if I select that kind of option, will it have any effect for the patching of the game at all?

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to provide me with any help at all on this issue

***EDIT***

I opened up that file you stated and there wasn't any options to edit the screen resolution etc, I don't know if this is caused by the fact that I play STO through Steam, but here here is all the options I have in the file:

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Aticrossfiregpucount 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiodrivername

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiodriveroutput

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiodriverversion

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiox64checkskipped 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Computername ALISON-PC

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Cpucachesize 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Cpuidentifier "x86 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 3, AuthenticAMD"

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Cpuspeed 3.01e+009

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Diskfree 218992238592

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Disktotal 999873261568

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Fmodversion 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Hassse 1

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Hassse2 1

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isdx11enabled 1

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isrunningnortonav 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isunsupportedspecs 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isusingd3ddebug 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isvista 1

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Iswine 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isx64 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Material_Hardware_Supported_Features

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Material_Supported_Features "SM20| SM20_PLUS| SM30| SM30_PLUS| SM30_HYPER"

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Nummonitors 1

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Numrealcpus 4

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Numvirtualcpus 4

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Nvidiasligpucount 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver0_Lowversion 1

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver1_Highversion 6

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver2_Build 7600

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver3_Servicepackmajor 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver4_Servicepackminor 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver5_Hostversion 6.1.7600.16385

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Physicalmemoryavailable 1595068416

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Physicalmemorymax 3487752192

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Ramspeedgbs 2.11535

Prefentry SystemSpecs.RenderingHacks REHA_NONE

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Supporteddxversion 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Svnbuildnumber 127678

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Trivia

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocarddeviceid 3553

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardname "NVIDIA GeForce GT 430"

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardvendorid 4318

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverstate 0

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverversion 8.17.12.8538

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videomemory 1024

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Virtualaddressspace 2147418134

Prefentry SystemSpecs.Wineversion

This is the End of the file information, I eally hope someone is able to help me with this. Thank you
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I have bow found the correct file, and have been able to locate the screen resolution settings. The problem now is, that if I change them to 1600 x 900 how the heck does this work with the statement earlier made, by saying to change:

to

*How the heck do you work out those 2nd set of numbers, or should I just ignore that and keep it simple with 1600 x 900, that's what I have done so far. So I really pray this will fix the game up for me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat22000
I have bow found the correct file, and have been able to locate the screen resolution settings. The problem now is, that if I change them to 1600 x 900 how the heck does this work with the statement earlier made, by saying to change:

to

*How the heck do you work out those 2nd set of numbers, or should I just ignore that and keep it simple with 1600 x 900, that's what I have done so far. So I really pray this will fix the game up for me.
I think the numbers you are looking to set for 1600x900 would be

PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenHeight 900

PrefEntry GfxSettings.ScreenWidth 1600
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat22000
I have bow found the correct file, and have been able to locate the screen resolution settings.
Where was the correct file located?
Lieutenant
To All

I am having a problem with the game and have looked at the Forum, Wiki and searched the internet for solutions to the problem. With all the possible solutions to fix the problem that I have found NONE have worked.

One stated that I need to go to options and select ?SAFE MODE?, but when I select option nothing happens and no other pop-up comes up.

I get a black screen and the resolution is so large that all I see is the upper left corner of a normal screen and cannot move anything, along with it looks as if I can move the cursor in only a quarter of the game screen (may actually be less than a quarter).

I am at my wits end and need BIG HELP to see that I can start playing again. I?ve been out of the game for now two (2) days and can?t get anywhere with the game. I have attached a screen shot and you can see what my monitor looks like. Yes, I am running dual monitor, laptop monitor and a second monitor, a Dell S2309W with a 1920x1080 resolution, 32 bit color depth. The game worked OK until Wednesday, May 15, 2013 and then it went screwy in the resolution and so forth.

I think the file that I need to change the resolution in is the ?GamePrefs.pref?. PLEASE note that I do not see the two lines for screen settings, to which in the Forum has listed in:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=147947

should have

I have pasted below the information found in the file ?GamePrefs.pref?
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Aticrossfiregpucount 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiodrivername
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiodriveroutput
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiodriverversion
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Audiox64checkskipped 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Computername NPA120609
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Cpucachesize 2162688
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Cpuidentifier "Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel"
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Cpuspeed 2.194e+009
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Diskfree 264033644544
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Disktotal 484337045504
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Fmodversion 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Hassse 1
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Hassse2 1
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isdx11enabled 1
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isrunningnortonav 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isunsupportedspecs 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isusingd3ddebug 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isvista 1
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Iswine 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Isx64 1
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Material_Hardware_Supported_Features
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Material_Supported_Features "SM20| SM20_PLUS| SM30| SM30_PLUS| SM30_HYPER"
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Nummonitors 2
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Numrealcpus 2
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Numvirtualcpus 2
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Nvidiasligpucount 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver0_Lowversion 1
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver1_Highversion 6
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver2_Build 7600
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver3_Servicepackmajor 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver4_Servicepackminor 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Osver5_Hostversion 6.1.7601.18015
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Physicalmemoryavailable 4537094144
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Physicalmemorymax 6372044800
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Ramspeedgbs 0.681177
Prefentry SystemSpecs.RenderingHacks REHA_NONE
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Supporteddxversion 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Svnbuildnumber 147336
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Trivia
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocarddeviceid 10818
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardname "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family"
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videocardvendorid 32902
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverstate 0
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videodriverversion 8.15.10.2302
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Videomemory 2816
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Virtualaddressspace 2147418134
Prefentry SystemSpecs.Wineversion

If this is the wrong file, then please inform me as to which file you need and it?s location. Also note, when the game was downloaded it did not go to:

Program File
or
Program Files (x86)

It chose to go to Computer/OS (C)/Users/Owner/Saved Games/Microsoft Games.

Do I need to reload the game and choose?
Program File or
Program Files (x86)

I want to Thank You in advance for your assistance with this issue / problem.

Sincerely
cajun51
Captain
# 9
05-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunxroads View Post
To All

I am having a problem with the game and have looked at the Forum, Wiki and searched the internet for solutions to the problem. With all the possible solutions to fix the problem that I have found NONE have worked.

One stated that I need to go to options and select ?SAFE MODE?, but when I select option nothing happens and no other pop-up comes up.

I get a black screen and the resolution is so large that all I see is the upper left corner of a normal screen and cannot move anything, along with it looks as if I can move the cursor in only a quarter of the game screen (may actually be less than a quarter).
[...]
Sincerely
cajun51
Rename or delete the GamePrefs.pref, that will make the game create a new one which might solve the problem.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 10
06-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunxroads View Post
To All

Sincerely
cajun51
Hi Cajun51,

I saw a crash report from you, and since you included your username I was able to find this forum post.

The startup crash is partially due (somewhat ironically) to code I recently added to report more information on the Direct3D status during startup, to track down various Direct3D device initialization failures. It seems to be crashing because Direct3D reports that the current display mode of your adapter (this should be your desktop resolution/setting) is set to 8-bit palettized mode. Our game does not support that, and normally you'd get a startup dialog warning you to switch to 32-bit mode, but my reporting code is earlier than that dialog, so now you get an uninformative crash. I've fixed that problem, but it may take a few weeks to get released, and I'm waiting to hear from production when they'll take my change.

Since I can't actually look at your system, I can't be certain that D3D is not misreporting the mode. From looking at your crash report, Direct3D has reported you have 1024x768, 60Hz, and 8-bit color. Is that correct, or is this a case where Direct3D has misreported your desktop settings? Sending me your DXDiags might help us understand what's happening on your computer.

Anyway, I've fixed the problem with my reporting code. If your desktop color resolution is not set to 32-bit, you'll have to change it to run our games. Your video card certainly should support that.

Dave