Lt. Commander
# 1 Transporter Effects
04-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't know if there a thread on this yet but I have some ideas for STO.

- Different transporter effects. (In each Star Trek show and movies the transporter effect was different.)

- Selectable transporter colors

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenvince View Post
I don't know if there a thread on this yet but I have some ideas for STO.

- Different transporter effects. (In each Star Trek show and movies the transporter effect was different.)

- Selectable transporter colors

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Fed transporter effects should always be blue, Klingon ones should always be red..but different sound affects....that im all for...do it Cryptic, as MTs or whatever...but the current Fed beaming sound doesnt appeal to me as much as some of the others from the shows.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah the federation is always blue but it'll just be cool to have different colors and the effect. I liked Voyager's effect and the new movie. I seen federation ships with different teleporter effect like in the new movie is was white and in TOS it was yellowish. That would also be pretty cool to put in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
Fed transporter effects should always be blue, Klingon ones should always be red..but different sound affects....that im all for...do it Cryptic, as MTs or whatever...but the current Fed beaming sound doesnt appeal to me as much as some of the others from the shows.
The effect was gold in TOS, at least for the Federation. Come to think of it, I can't recall ever seeing Klingons, Romulans, or anyone else using transporters. Well, there was Trelane, but that was more of a "now you see the person, now you don't" sort of thing that would look completely boring in the game.

Speaking of Trelane, I'd love to have a mission with him but this is the wrong part of the forums for that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
I can't recall ever seeing Klingons, Romulans, or anyone else using transporters.
Here are Lursa and B'Etor using Klingon transporters.
There are no yucky looking black particle effects after they transport out, although the scene was cut away half way.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
While they're at it, it'd be nice if they tweaked the animation so my character taps the comm badge before the transport begins, rather than after.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp_Hazzard
While they're at it, it'd be nice if they tweaked the animation so my character taps the comm badge before the transport begins, rather than after.
it would be better if the made it so when you beam out...only you click your combadge...right now they have it so all of your BOs do it too....so it should go like...you click the beam out button, your character taps the combadge and saids "energize" above his or her head and then they dematerialize.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
yes, i've noticed that all the transporters look dodgy.

they're all just repeats of the "bad knockoff voyager" transporter effect for starfleet wtih different sound effects.

The following races had known unique transporter effects:
Federation
Klingons
Romulans
Ferengi
Cardassians
Dominion
Borg

Why aren't we seeing these unique beams in game? At the very least they should all be using the correct sound effects, but dont.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
it would be better if the made it so when you beam out...only you click your combadge...right now they have it so all of your BOs do it too....so it should go like...you click the beam out button, your character taps the combadge and saids "energize" above his or her head and then they dematerialize.
While I like the "Energize" (or "X to Beam Up") idea, I don't think anything that makes it significantly longer would sit well with much of the playerbase. Putting the tap before the beamout would only add a fraction of a second.

I'm quite happy that they changed it so all the characters go to normal stance after tapping, rather than back to weapon stance.

I figure transport has been partially automated in the 25th Century, and tapping the badge in the right way automatically starts the process. That's why everyone taps their badge when transporting. (I'd go with a simultaneous touch at the top and bottom, myself.)
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Yes.

Usually what happens is the lead character in the scene says "Five to beam up," or somesuch and they are all beamed away. Not everybody clicking on their combadges and asking for individual transportation.