Lt. Commander
# 171
04-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Just checking in with the fleet. Got my standard issue PADD today (iPad). Very cool.
Lt. Commander
# 172
04-21-2010, 02:32 AM
How easy is it to actually read books of it? Personally I'm quite used to reading books in html on webpage off my pc monitor and these iPad thingies might be just something for me...

Well apart from the rediculous copyright protections that are always on those things. From what I understand you have to watch out where you get your ibooks from and they're not compatible with other padds. :-/
Lt. Commander
# 173
04-21-2010, 04:31 AM
I want to do another KA run tonight, is the current bug fixed already that prevents you from continueing on the ground part or should we wait for the patch of tomorrow and hope it's fixed then?
Lt. Commander
# 174
04-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarianDrakon View Post
Just checking in with the fleet. Got my standard issue PADD today (iPad). Very cool.
Cool! It is nice to get a new toy.
Lt. Commander
# 175
04-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Cool! It is nice to get a new toy.
I'm getting my vacation money next month, but I honestly have no clue what to do with the extra money, apart from putting it on my savings account. So maybe I should get me a new toy like that as well.

Or a new computer!
Lt. Commander
# 176
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
The iPad is awesome. I bought it for two reasons. One is to use it to test future iPad apps that I'll hopefully be creating soon and two for my fiancee to read books on. I've got to say that iBooks is very cool and very easy to use. The built in dictionary and the ability to download samples of books before you buy them is fantastic. They don't have every book in the world on there yet, but I can assure you that there are a LOT of Star Trek books, including the new Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many book (which I am currently reading and is very interesting). So if you're thinking about getting an E-Reader, then I would suggest the iPad over the Kindle. It is especially cool because once the iPhone OS 4.0 software is released later this summer, it will have multitasking and a whole load of new features added. The only thing it is missing (for me that is), is the ability to have multiple users. It is still mostly a single user device, like the iPhone. Hopefully that will be fixed in a future OS update.
Lt. Commander
# 177
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishka
I'm getting my vacation money next month, but I honestly have no clue what to do with the extra money, apart from putting it on my savings account. So maybe I should get me a new toy like that as well.

Or a new computer!
Go with the new computer. Then you can play STO with a better machine!
Lt. Commander
# 178
04-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug3575 View Post
Go with the new computer. Then you can play STO with a better machine!
What this guy said
Lt. Commander
# 179
04-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickeyRickey
What this guy said
Well my pc is still pretty good and I'm running STO pretty much on the highest settings (upgraded my ram and vid card last year and pc is only 3 years old). I am also still running on vista though and I think windows 7 would be a better choice, so I'll probably get a new pc next year summer instead.
Lt. Commander
# 180
04-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarianDrakon View Post
The iPad is awesome. I bought it for two reasons. One is to use it to test future iPad apps that I'll hopefully be creating soon and two for my fiancee to read books on. I've got to say that iBooks is very cool and very easy to use. The built in dictionary and the ability to download samples of books before you buy them is fantastic. They don't have every book in the world on there yet, but I can assure you that there are a LOT of Star Trek books, including the new Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many book (which I am currently reading and is very interesting). So if you're thinking about getting an E-Reader, then I would suggest the iPad over the Kindle. It is especially cool because once the iPhone OS 4.0 software is released later this summer, it will have multitasking and a whole load of new features added. The only thing it is missing (for me that is), is the ability to have multiple users. It is still mostly a single user device, like the iPhone. Hopefully that will be fixed in a future OS update.
Sounds good.. Atm I don't have any Apple products, but I'll keep this one in mind.