Lt. Commander
Gun nuts, assemble!

That means you, Capulet, Ravenstein, and Daevan.

So far I don't own a single gun - it's finally come time to buy rather than rent. I'm sick of renting.

So, I would like some opinions.

I've currently got my eyes on a small-frame Taurus .357. I prefer revolvers because they virtually never jam and have both a nice weight to them as well as solid construction - if I run out or the gun fails, I can use one as a melee weapon, a la Ray Liotta in Goodfellas (hell yes). I'm on a budget, and brand new Taurus revolvers are typically $400-500. I can't afford a $900 S&W.

However, I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone know of a decent revolver under $500? Should I stick with Taurus? Should I use a different caliber (in other words, I know .357 rounds are expensive, is there a cheaper option without sacrificing stopping power)?

Go go go!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
hehe so strange for me im from UK so we don't have guns

all i got is a big stick
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Am from Aus and all we got is Drop Bears and Wombats ...

So I can't help you either :/
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabz
Am from Aus and all we got is Drop Bears and Wombats ...

So I can't help you either :/
I thought Australia had some of the best sharpshooters in the world.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I thought Australia had some of the best sharpshooters in the world.
only if they had wamprats :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
My favorite revolver that I have is a Colt King Cobra .357, but unfortunately Colt got out of the modern revolver business a few years back.

My wife has a S&W .357. It's an excellent revolver.

I do have a Taurus .38 snubby that is excellent. I've never had any problems with it and it shoots very smooth.

I've heard mixed reviews about Taurus semi-autos (never had a problem with one myself), but overall their revolvers seem to be good. My understanding is that Taurus and Rossi merged sometime in the past and their revolvers are really nice.

Taurus is a decent choice for a revolver. I don't think you'd have any regrets.

What model are you looking at?

(edit...In reference to the caliber question. I'd stick with the .357. You can always shoot .38 for practice to save money. .38+P is a good round. Then, load up .357 as your self-defense load).
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm looking at a model 605 in stainless steel with fiber optic sights. In fact, the exact one I just linked there. The Kiesler's just north of the river has one for $420.

Edit: I'd prefer one in blue steel rather than stainless, but none of the local gun shops have them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-05-2010, 08:46 AM
That's a nice looking revolver.

It's amazing what the prices are these days. I have Taurus model-85 that I bought about 20yrs ago (makes me feel old). I think I picked it up for under $200.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
The first thing I would recommend...is going to a legit gun shop and seeing what feels good in your hand from a selection of various pistols that interest you. Then make the decision based on that.

Take several .357 variants and some other calibers. Also take a look at other types...There are some really nice semi automatic pistols that could suit your needs as well....Some of the newer ones are VERY reliable, and...to coin a phrase...smexy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
well ususally if something happens, that would require a gun, i make blond jokes, untill they drop, gasping for air.
Then i use my licenced Tribble assault catapult, and burry them in a tribble borito hill.

But to be honest, there are a lot of kids in these forums, and i think it isnīt a good place to talk about weapons.