Lt. Commander
# 11
04-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
hehe so strange for me im from UK so we don't have guns

all i got is a big stick
Wierd, Texans have as may diffrent words for guns, as the Inuit have for snow.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunki
well ususally if something happens, that would require a gun, i make blond jokes, untill they drop, gasping for air.
Then i use my licenced Tribble assault catapult, and burry them in a tribble borito hill.

But to be honest, there are a lot of kids in these forums, and i think it isnīt a good place to talk about weapons.
Actually a civilized discussion of weapons is fine. However possibly the title.....may be questionable.

I was a Gunner's Mate (Guns) 3rd Class in the US Navy, with a specialty in Small Arms

Raven is a mature gun owner...and several other people are as well.

Just because some people may have qualms with firearms....doesn't mean it's not kid safe.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
It has been a while since I was in the market for a good side arm however one rule is pretty universal about anything your life depends on. You get what you pay for.

That being said, Revolvers are reliable and easy to maintain. They can misfire but never jam like a clip fed semi-auto. If you live in a state that allows single action revolvers go for them, dual action will really cut down the numbers of rounds you can put on target.

My personal opinion is; Do some research. There are plenty of magazines out that review guns of every kind and give objective ratings on reliability, cost, and accuracy. After you narrow it down a bit, head out to a shop that has them in stock and check it out. Guns are like shoes, they all look great on the shelf but not all if them fit comfortably. Unless you can shell out for new grips you may find the piece a bit awkward for your hand size.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Gun nuts, assemble!

That means you, Capulet, Ravenstein, and Daevan.

So far I don't own a single gun - it's finally come time to buy rather than rent. I'm sick of renting.

So, I would like some opinions.

I've currently got my eyes on a small-frame Taurus .357. I prefer revolvers because they virtually never jam and have both a nice weight to them as well as solid construction - if I run out or the gun fails, I can use one as a melee weapon, a la Ray Liotta in Goodfellas (hell yes). I'm on a budget, and brand new Taurus revolvers are typically $400-500. I can't afford a $900 S&W.

However, I'm open to suggestions. Does anyone know of a decent revolver under $500? Should I stick with Taurus? Should I use a different caliber (in other words, I know .357 rounds are expensive, is there a cheaper option without sacrificing stopping power)?

Go go go!
Asking for gun advice and you don't even mention my name?

I feel so........insulted.

Helllloooooo I'm a Redneck, I own more guns than anybody here and I shoot once a week.

I would have figured I would be the forum expert on this subject.

But nooooooooooo...

*Throws chair*

*Pouts*
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams

Helllloooooo I'm a Redneck, I own more guns than anybody here and I shoot once a week.

But nooooooooooo...

*Throws chair*

*Pouts*
If you own so many guns why do you always resort to throwing chairs? out of ammo? :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams

But nooooooooooo...

*Throws chair*

*Pouts*
Well in my defense you've never talked about it at length before (that I can remember), whereas Raven, Cap, Daevan and I have shared many thoughts and participated in extended discourse regarding firearms. :p

But if you would like to add something, go for it!
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
If you own so many guns why do you always resort to throwing chairs? out of ammo? :p
You heard him, he's a redneck, he can't afford to keep buying buckshot!

And the thrown chair is the standard sidearm for rednecks everywhere!
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-05-2010, 08:56 AM
As with all things, if used safely and responsibly guns can be a fun and enjoyable experience. Unfortunately they have acquired a negative stigmata in modern media mostly due to the misuse of guns. What we here in Ten Forward are advocating is a safe and informed usage of guns. If kids visit these forums then I hope they listen to people like me who can provide a mature and safe opinion on firearm ownership and usage.

That being said, the primary trait I look for in a gun is of course safety. Ask the dealer if he knows the history of the gun if it is used. If it is a new gun, there is less worry here. Taurus is a well known and reliable maker of fire arms; I would trust a new model Taurus.

Second is the cartridge. You also need to think about availability and price here if you plan on using the weapon recreationally. As for the caliber you mentioned, the .357 is good starting point. Would be strong enough to put someone down while not being too rare and hard to get. You can get .357 rounds just about anywhere.

Third is you. You said this would be your first gun. Have you had any firearm maintenance classes or someone who has taught you the safe way to load, fire, and clean your weapon?
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sural_Argonus
The first thing I would recommend...is going to a legit gun shop and seeing what feels good in your hand from a selection of various pistols that interest you. Then make the decision based on that.

Take several .357 variants and some other calibers. Also take a look at other types...There are some really nice semi automatic pistols that could suit your needs as well....Some of the newer ones are VERY reliable, and...to coin a phrase...smexy.
I would love to own a Steyr M-A1 or Sig Sauer P229, but I can't afford either.