Lt. Commander
# 21
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
You heard him, he's a redneck, he can't afford to keep buying buckshot!

And the thrown chair is the standard sidearm for rednecks everywhere!
This...

Lt. Commander
# 22
04-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
As with all things, if used safely and responsibly guns can be a fun and enjoyable experience. Unfortunately they have acquired a negative stigmata in modern media mostly due to the misuse of guns. What we here in Ten Forward are advocating is a safe and informed usage of guns. If kids visit these forums then I hope they listen to people like me who can provide a mature and safe opinion on firearm ownership and usage.

That being said, the primary trait I look for in a gun is of course safety. Ask the dealer if he knows the history of the gun if it is used. If it is a new gun, there is less worry here. Taurus is a well known and reliable maker of fire arms; I would trust a new model Taurus.

Second is the cartridge. You also need to think about availability and price here if you plan on using the weapon recreationally. As for the caliber you mentioned, the .357 is good starting point. Would be strong enough to put someone down while not being too rare and hard to get. You can get .357 rounds just about anywhere.

Third is you. You said this would be your first gun. Have you had any firearm maintenance classes or someone who has taught you the safe way to load, fire, and clean your weapon?
Don't forget safely unloading and clearing the weapon. That's right kids, it is a weapon not a toy. *The more you know star* Firing is not always the most viable way to unload and still leaves safely clearing the weapon.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Third is you. You said this would be your first gun. Have you had any firearm maintenance classes or someone who has taught you the safe way to load, fire, and clean your weapon?
It'd be my first to own, but yes, I have taken a course on gun safety and maintainance. I shoot regularly, so proper use and gun safety is my #1 concern, and I feel I know what I'm doing. I've cleaned both revolvers and semiautos, and I find revolvers much easier to clean and maintain. Fewer moving parts.

That said, my second conern is effectiveness. I want something that will put someone down, even knock them on their ass if they're wearing a flak vest or something similar, which is why I'm looking at the .357 caliber.

So far, the research I've done on Taurus revolvers has shwon them to be both effective and reliable.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm late to the conversation as usual.... Whats your proficiency level, SaintHazard?

If you're really adamant about a revolver, I'd save up a couple months and get the S&W, sometimes you get what you pay for...

Are you looking to shoot at a range or for sport?

If you are looking for a home protection device.. Unless you are a marksmen, I recommend a pump action shotgun for a few reasons...

1. The sound of a shotgun action being readied is enough to send most home invaders fleeing...
2. In close quarters, even light shot is gonna put someone down..
3. With shot you aren't going to get as much penetration through walls as you would with a bullet... thus reducing the risk of hitting unintended targets..

Another thing.... "Stopping Power" isn't really as important as you think, a well aimed .22 will put someone down just as fast as a poorly aimed .357.. just ask mossad lol

If you'd like to talk shop, feel free to hit me up on PM sometime ^_^
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Ok well, are you getting a gun for home safety or for sport?
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams
How about sporting home safety?
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
One observation from the shooting range: A large calibre gun does you no good if you can't hit anything with it...I see a lot of .45 lovers who miss at 7 yds. Use something you can be accurate with.

I carry a Glock 19, but I agree that jams are an issue for all automatics, especially under stress.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams
Home safety. Its primary function will be self-defense.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
One observation from the shooting range: A large calibre gun does you no good if you can't hit anything with it...I see a lot of .45 lovers who miss at 7 yds. Use something you can be accurate with.

I carry a Glock 19, but I agree that jams are an issue for all automatics, especially under stress.
It takes time to get good with a larger caliber weapon.

I wasn't nailing headshots with the M-14 I used in the Navy the first day....It took a while to get used to the weapons idiosyncrasies....

The one I used liked to pull a bit to the left, no matter what I did to compensate, or adjust....Eventually I learned to work with it and nailed heart shots 99% of the time....Pistols really aren't any different.

Some have a stronger recoil then others, and even some pistols from the same manufacturer will fell completely different.

We had several ithaca 45s and several Colts....None felt the same as the other...tho the Ithacas were my favorite.

The revolvers we used were 38s...and they felt flimsy in my hand....Never liked them at all....but I don't have anything against them. The technology may be really old....but it's tried and true.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius

Glock has gotten better in regards to jamming, but I don't trust a single action semiauto. Obviously you don't keep a round chambered in those suckers, or you'll blow your leg off holstering it. If I get a semiauto, it'll be a double action.