Lt. Commander
# 1 Why are numbers so low?
04-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Something I don't understand, which no doubt has a simple explanation, is why the PvP queues have such low numbers?

I played Fed, and would join a queue where it said 4 feds were currently lined upt o fight 1 klink in a 5 v 5 setup. or on one of the 10 v 10 maps there'd be 5 or 6 feds and maybe 2 klinks.... so after finally deciding I had a rough idea of how to play, for a bit of a challenge/break/revamp of enthusiasm I rolled a klink up. Now I'm queueing for PvP and see....

1 or 2 Feds matched against 8 or 9 klinks, 1 fed v 4 klinks... errr... why is it that whichever side I'm on my side always seems keen to PvP but there's a dearth of opponents? Have I just been really unluck, is this some sort of wierd instancing effect, or what - I mean, I can understand the Fed side being low numbered, as they do the PvE stuff, but why when I'm a fed do I see low klink numbers? It just doesn't make sense, unless both sides genuinely aren't bothered about PvP, which seems unlikely for klingons at least.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Well personally, I saw a major decline in numbers since the season 1 release. I blame it on the thing a lot of people have been complaining about lately, and that is the absurd damage levels post patch. Of course there were likely a lot of Feds who only queued for their daily marks, and those people get in and out much faster with a few FvF matches.

I certainly PVP less because its just not fun anymore at T5, everything is over in an instant. Ground PVP is still painfully full of crowd control issues like melee spam but at least it doesn't feel much different unlike space PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Last time I checked there were people reporting a bug that would mess your character rank after a PvP match. I haven't been playing for a while (work ), I didn't follow the updates, it may be fixed now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Winterland
Something I don't understand, which no doubt has a simple explanation, is why the PvP queues have such low numbers?

I played Fed, and would join a queue where it said 4 feds were currently lined upt o fight 1 klink in a 5 v 5 setup. or on one of the 10 v 10 maps there'd be 5 or 6 feds and maybe 2 klinks.... so after finally deciding I had a rough idea of how to play, for a bit of a challenge/break/revamp of enthusiasm I rolled a klink up. Now I'm queueing for PvP and see....

1 or 2 Feds matched against 8 or 9 klinks, 1 fed v 4 klinks... errr... why is it that whichever side I'm on my side always seems keen to PvP but there's a dearth of opponents? Have I just been really unluck, is this some sort of wierd instancing effect, or what - I mean, I can understand the Fed side being low numbered, as they do the PvE stuff, but why when I'm a fed do I see low klink numbers? It just doesn't make sense, unless both sides genuinely aren't bothered about PvP, which seems unlikely for klingons at least.
I play the Klingon more than the Fed now, and we see match's where there are only 2 Klingons and 8 Feds. Depends what time it is during the day. Now that spring breaks are ending and kids will be going back to school in the USA and play times are shifted more to evening play.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwen
I play the Klingon more than the Fed now, and we see match's where there are only 2 Klingons and 8 Feds. Depends what time it is during the day. Now that spring breaks are ending and kids will be going back to school in the USA and play times are shifted more to evening play.
partially this.

also, check the number of active games, at any time it can hide a rather large number of actual pvpers. the qeues are just people WAITING for a game, which being low would be a good thing (it's just deceptive)
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
also, check the number of active games, at any time it can hide a rather large number of actual pvpers. the qeues are just people WAITING for a game, which being low would be a good thing (it's just deceptive)
Oh I do hope so <g> Beign UK based I appreciate that my playing times aren't necessarily going to be all that busy, but a month back I seemed to get a PvP match much quicker than I do these days...Oh well.

H3IIR4Riser - yes they squashed that bug.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h3llr4iser View Post
Last time I checked there were people reporting a bug that would mess your character rank after a PvP match. I haven't been playing for a while (work ), I didn't follow the updates, it may be fixed now.
They had fixed that by the end of the weekend it occurred in if memory serves. It was either the Sunday or the Monday after it got reported that weekend. It just took them slightly longer to get everyone fixed that was affected by it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Winterland

I was reading a thread about this in a different area, and I am seeing the same thing as you. Doesn't seem to matter the time of day. Here's my point of view as both a Fed and Klingon player.

As a fed at Tier 2, my team is ALWAYS outnumbered 2 to 1 or worse. Add to the fact that in early Tier 2, I can only get MK III weapons for phasers and Photon Torpedos, MK II cannons / disruptors, and MK II shields. MK IV items do not become available until the BOE 2nd Order missions open up. Our opponents are armed with all MK IV items...everything. The battle always evolves the same way...we assume a defensive formation, BoP's and sometimes Raptors uncloak in large numbers w/ 2 ships each targeting one of ours. Alpha strike, rapid cannon fire, all cannons focused in...shields shredded, hulls set on fire, KABOOM! KABOOM! KABOOM! we re-spawn and do it all again. Not much fun. I've stopped PvP with Klingons since.

As a Klingon, I have been in only two fair fights since February. The rest have been overwhelmingly in our favor. Did one last week with 7 on 2. Those feds were really gutsy...they tried lots of different things. In the end, though, they died again and again. That's not much fun either. I stay away from those queues as well.

House Battles are the only place for me now. The fights are always fair and challenging...for the most part. There's a blend of ships and weapons, some far superior to the rest. Just the same, the numbers are balanced.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-07-2010, 07:10 AM
PvP matches are boring and repetitive, and have no meaning. They created a whole faction whos primary goal was PvP wich is why I chose to be Klingon yet they put in a weak system, no king of the hill or ladder systems. An open PvP zone where both factions can fight openly over various goals.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I would make a klingon, but i have no free slot and i have not the time i had in january. Soo only feds for me :-)