Lt. Commander
# 21
04-07-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Silence, ho!
I've been notably absent lately working on a new video.
Is Sural the ten forward ho this week?

If so...report to my quarters...
i'm having a bad day today and need someone to whip around.

wheres cappy?
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar_Corvus
I've been notably absent lately working on a new video.
Is Sural the ten forward ho this week?

If so...report to my quarters...
i'm having a bad day today and need someone to whip around.

wheres cappy?
See my sig.

I am the Official USS Ten Forward Hood Ornament. Or HO for short.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Once again, I have no real issue with the reboot as a movie or even as Star Trek. My nitpick is specifically directed at the idea that the Abrams Verse diverged at the point from whnece Nero came.
Otherwise I quite enjoyed. it.
By the way, I agree that "We came through teh Black Hole" is a silly line. Just silly.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-07-2010, 07:04 AM
If I had to take a wild guess, some things could probably be explained by Enterprise, and possibly First Contact even.

The Borg were present in Enterprise where they shouldn't have been, in due part to the events in FIrst Contact, and created havoc in the 22nd century. Larger ships and more powerful weapons may have been developed as a result of the engagement with the Borg in the case there were more present.

If one was to accept the Enterprise-J to be part of the same timeline and universe established in TOS and TND, DS9, and VOY, this timeline couldn't exist. The Enterprise-J was seen fighting in the Expanse in the 26th Century; the Delpheric Expanse spheres, I believe, were destroyed, changed the Timeline so that the Enterprise-J couldn't exist. Given lack of evidence to support the Sphere Builders actually succeded in the TOS and TNG-era timelines (other than they were created prior to ENT), I wouldn't accept the universe of the Enterprise-J to be part of the main timeline.

I wouldn't exactally accept this for face value. I'm not even sure that this is even right. This is just my opinion, based on how I understand ENT, on one possibility to explain some of the elements in Abrams's Timeline.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
If I had to take a wild guess, some things could probably be explained by Enterprise, and possibly First Contact even.

The Borg were present in Enterprise where they shouldn't have been, in due part to the events in FIrst Contact, and created havoc in the 22nd century. Larger ships and more powerful weapons may have been developed as a result of the engagement with the Borg in the case there were more present.

If one was to accept the Enterprise-J to be part of the same timeline and universe established in TOS and TND, DS9, and VOY, this timeline couldn't exist. The Enterprise-J was seen fighting in the Expanse in the 26th Century; the Delpheric Expanse spheres, I believe, were destroyed, changed the Timeline so that the Enterprise-J couldn't exist. Given lack of evidence to support the Sphere Builders actually succeded in the TOS and TNG-era timelines (other than they were created prior to ENT), I wouldn't accept the universe of the Enterprise-J to be part of the main timeline.

I wouldn't exactally accept this for face value. I'm not even sure that this is even right. This is just my opinion, based on how I understand ENT, on one possibility to explain some of the elements in Abrams's Timeline.

elaborate.
The borg were not present in Enterprise.

the episode with the base that replenishes the enterprise and repairs itself was NOT the borg. just had similarities.
read the entry on memory alpha for it.

I haven't seen the whole series...so am i missing something or is that the reference you are talking about?
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
elaborate.

the episode with the base that replenishes the enterprise and repairs itself was NOT the borg. just had similarities.
read the entry on memory alpha for it.

I haven't seen the whole series...so am i missing something or is that the reference you are talking about?
They were Borg...Just like the Ferengi episode...they never SAID they were Borg.

Never trust Memory Alpha 100%....since it's update-able by people who are still ****ed off that ENT was made a series.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Yes they were. Episode 'Regeneration'.
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-07-2010, 07:35 AM
i loved the new film, i thought it was a good film and good trek. a few minor details were off but honest to god if you look back through star treks history there are details off all the time.

people who hate the new movie use that as an excuse when in fact their are mistakes everywhere in all of the series.

i liked the humour, the sense of fun, the action. i loved how kirk actually offered to save nero at the end despite everything he did, yet still happy to blow him way when he refused, that is exactly what i imagined kirk would do.

i was never much of a fan of the original series making me detached enough to enjoy this re-telling but the characters acted like the way i always imagined they would, at least in my mind
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MycroftHolmes View Post
Okay, so I just want it known that I officially had problems witht he Abrams Star Trek Universe. Originally, my problems were with engineering (I don't like my starships looking like wastewater treatment plants). As time has gone by and I have re-watched it and cogitated on it, I realized that there are bigger problems with this movie in the context of Star Trek Canon. I know I am just going to get the standard response of "Well they fixed that witht he alternate timeline" . But I posit that this is not an alternate timeline creted when Nero went back in time, but an entire different universe that developed along different lines. There are cluse to this right from the very beginning.
1. The U.S.S. Kelvin ( built before Nero came back) was to big. Pike mentions that Sam Kirk saved 800 people in ten minutes. The original series Enterprise was the largest canon ship in the originakl universe with about 420 crew and no families. The secondary hull was seen to primarily be a carrier hull (evidence the long tunnel trip that Mrs. Kirk took when leaving the shuttlebay). perhaps in this universe, Earth responded to the Xindi attack by creating bigger ships?
2. Kirks older brother was named George int eh orignal series, and Johnny in the Abrams - verse. And he was a red-head
3. Starfleet Academy is in the wrong place.
4. Kelvin identifies the crew as Romulan, despite the fact that Romulans are not identified until Kirk's Enterprise as being Vulcan-like.

Please let me know if I have posited wrong. I like this movie, but the explanation that I have seen all over the boards that the universe changed with Nero is wrong.
In the Abrams movie, Kirk had a brother?
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
The new movie was the last piece of crap and the worst that could happen to Star Trek.

I have absolutely no idea what they wqere thinking when making that movie except "we want to get the same audience as transformers and hope the Trekkies come too."

1) Let TOS rest in peace. It was a great series for its time, the characters are iconic, let them stay that way. While I have no problem with projects like Star Trek New Voyages where they have to recast the crew but at least keep everything else the way it was. Retconning everything so that Kirk is a drunken fratboy who gets his first ship as a cadet and Spock is one of the last members of his species is just crap.

2) GET YA DIRTY HANDS OF MY PRIME TIMELINE! Seemingly it wasn't enough to wreck Kirk's childhood and Vulcan in their new universe. As a good-bye gift they blew up Romulus in the prime universe with a plot device that was so horribly crappy that STO has to explain now what actually happened. Just after the last movie which had only two good scenes. Worf stating that the Romulans fought with honor and Donatra making it look like that after the battle Romulans and Federation could become closer (okay okay, honorable mentions for the "Romulan Ale should be illegal"-scene). Truly great.

3) What the hell was the Kelvin supposed to be? No, they couldn't just use a vessel that would have been and looked appropriate for that time like the Daedalus-class. They had to make a complete new one that already looks far too modern (if you can't stand the retro-look of TOS, don't make movies there). The new Enterprise.... I can't even begin how much I hate this design. And I won't even start about the size issues and that they built it on the ground.

4) The engine room. Yay, a brewery, free beer for everyone! Seriously, after a proud tradition of interesting and futuristic looking engine rooms they film in a brewery, just for a bad transporter joke?

5) A villain that get's his second dimension through a non-canon comic. Doesn't matter that he never became three-dimensional. In the end he became non-dimensional anyway.