Lt. Commander
Yup, it needs the ol' heave-ho. I just got this game a couple weeks ago, messed around with a Tac officer, just to get the feel of the game. Then, when I get ready to create a character that is more serious, I do what I normally do on MMO's... I make a backstory, which gives the character a background, and motivation. I find it helps me have more of a reason to play a character on any MMO, a reason to go through all the mind numbing hours of grinding. It makes the character something I care about, and that's when I'm likely to pay for more game time.
So, I came up with a really good story (well, I think so anyways). but every time I hit the submit application button, the over-zealous profanity filter keeps saying "Profanity detected. This is not allowed."
I've scoured through it, and can't find any profanity at all, not even between words (like "haD AMNesty"). Nothing. It's a very clean story. In fact, I kept imagining the voice of Cate Blanchett narrating it, like it was the prologue to LOTR or something lol.
Well, anyway, this is just a total mood-killer, and I don't even feel like playing this game now. THEREFORE, I propose to the devs that they should give that thing the axe, and get a new, better filter.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Cryptic NEEDS to fix the naming system first tbh. If your can copy your bio on this thread that would be nice and I can try to see what your problem is-if your story is epically long then nevermind.

So far names mean nothing and a bunch of players including myself have had their in-game names stolen, I just looked at the captains page and so far at least 5 people tried to take my name.

Cryptic should:
-Tighten their grip/put restrictions on names
-update profanity filter.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
... I just looked at the captains page and so far at least 5 people took my name.

Cryptic should:
-Tighten their grip/put restrictions on names
-update profanity filter.
Much like in real life our names are not unique and copyrighted. This helps people be able to find and have a name that fits their character. It also helps avoid all of those people who want to be One of Six from having to find moronic variations like One of Six, xXOne of SixXx, 0n3 0f 51x, OneOfSix-1, Onne of Sixx, etc. etc. etc. ... you know, the kind of garbage we see in every game that has the restrictions you're talking about (meaning of course that those restrictions solve nothing).

This was a choice made by them here and in their other game, and it works. You're not a perfect little snowflake unique in all of your uniqueliness glory... oh well. Too bad. Ideally there should be more about you to make you unique than your character name, and thus you shouldn't have to worry about whether it's "protected" or not.

If you absolutely have to have unique name that no one else will have than choose one so out there and asstastic that no one else would want it... like Captain 47fFhjPOOhFACEjkd. With something like that you can be fairly assured that no one will "steal" it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NethernyC View Post
So, I came up with a really good story (well, I think so anyways). but every time I hit the submit application button, the over-zealous profanity filter keeps saying "Profanity detected. This is not allowed."
I've scoured through it, and can't find any profanity at all
Maybe you have a word like "analyzing" in it. Try to submit any sentence separate to check wich sentence is the source for the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Much like in real life our names are not unique and copyrighted. This helps people be able to find and have a name that fits their character. It also helps avoid all of those people who want to be One of Six from having to find moronic variations like One of Six, xXOne of SixXx, 0n3 0f 51x, OneOfSix-1, Onne of Sixx, etc. etc. etc. ... you know, the kind of garbage we see in every game that has the restrictions you're talking about (meaning of course that those restrictions solve nothing).

This was a choice made by them here and in their other game, and it works. You're not a perfect little snowflake unique in all of your uniqueliness glory... oh well. Too bad. Ideally there should be more about you to make you unique than your character name, and thus you shouldn't have to worry about whether it's "protected" or not.

If you absolutely have to have unique name that no one else will have than choose one so out there and asstastic that no one else would want it... like Captain 47fFhjPOOhFACEjkd. With something like that you can be fairly assured that no one will "steal" it.
Well you didn't have to be a jerk about it.

And by "unique" I meant something that wasn't from a 10 year old mind-like the types of examples in STO that you have provided.

I'm am just tired of the nonsense...when will anyone be mature enough to have a mature name....
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NethernyC View Post
Post it.
Maybe the ever watchful eye of the STO community will spot your mistake !
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Well you didn't have to be a jerk about it.
Being curt wasn't my attempt to "be a jerk" it's just a tired debate that has been dragged up again and again since Champions Online was pre-beta, thus it's a sour note. There are supporters for both sides, but this system is in place, it works, and it does cut down on the typical "1337 speak" substitutions you see elsewhere.

Quote:
And by "unique" I meant something that wasn't from a 10 year old mind-like the types of examples in STO that you have provided.

I'm am just tired of the nonsense...when will anyone be mature enough to have a mature name....
Actually STO has staggeringly few stupid names compared to most MMOs quite simply because of the inclusion of @names as unique with open character names. Unlike with other MMOs where "decent" names quickly become taken and "locked away" STO and CO (especially CO where you're dealing with superhero codenames, which are often thematic) don't suffer from that problem. As a result you generally only see the blatant stupidity like Captain Burp of the USS Fart, and of course naming restrictions don't get rid of that they just also lead to the S1X of N1N3 stuff that you see so commonly in other titles.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-08-2010, 03:53 AM
I always turn it off... but I did notice that when I made my new character I was talking to a fleet member and had left it on. So I said 'that changes it all, doesn't it?' and it filtered that out... maybe it needs to *%$yze the word instead of letter formation
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Well, okay, you asked for it lol. Just try not to flame me TOO hard, I mean it involves the character Data, because I wanted a connection to the world of Star Trek. and also, the whole story of Lal was never really reconciled. (At least not that I know of)
If you don't know who Lal was, watch Star Trek: the Next Generation; Season 3, "the Offsrping"

" After the USS Feldspar had retreived the missing android Lal, she was taken to earth where
Commander Data was called to examine her. It was apparent that the Borg had attempted to
copy the original Lal, and this was a copy, perhaps one of many.
Once she was reactivated, she identified herself as "5 of 12", a Borg designation, which was
later changed to "Quinn". After a successful series of rehabilitative neural pathway restructuring
sessions, Quinn became truly self aware for the first time, and, fearing that her positronic net was
breaking down, Data was once again called upon to pursue Quinn as she fled to Akron Ohio.
Several months after her escape from Starfleet's Cybernetic Research Institute, Quinn was
located living in the wilderness of northern Canada, apparently having performed several
modifications to her own design, as well as taking the surname Soong, after her "grandfather", Dr.
Noonian Soong, who had created Data, who in turn created her.
As a legal citizen of Canada, Starfleet could not claim that she was property, and could not
legally force her to return to their research center. Quinn told Data that she simply wanted to
understand the nature of life, and that meant she had to have a simple, quiet life of reflection
and study. Data had to respect her wishes, and so, as the shuttle craft flew away, the tumbling
snows of that first winter came, and time went by, as Quinn disappeared into a forgotten
memory.
Almost 20 years had passed, and she was all but forgotten among the world of men. Until
one incredible night, when the great neon spirals came down from the top of the world, with
their questioning rays, their ancient energies reaching into the curonic matrix of her mind, pulling
her, drawing her, towards a revelation. Towards a message that was left, waiting for the day one
could understand. And a single set of footprints appeared the next morning, tracing it's lonely
path.... to the stars... "

I know it's not the best, but hey.... I came up with it in like 15 minutes or something. I always thought Lal should come back and be a badass. Or at least bake really great cookies.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Nice Bio. I loved that episode of Next Gen.

I think the dirty word that you have is " legal citizen of Canada"