Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-08-2010, 12:27 AM
What I have seen from Cryptic posts about their pipeline and what we have seen as end-users screams not just a pipeline/process issue with their QA, but as a whole.
  1. Old issues reappearing in my experience have either been a branching problem (either someone moving old data to new, or just bad structure) or someone not updating to the latest version before uploading their changes (which would overwrite the newer data with older data from the uploading user).
  2. Bugs reported through in-game methods are not handled by QA. Instead, they are filtered by Customer Support, and might get passed on to QA at a later time.

Both of these issues cost a lot of time and money. What is even more troublesome are all the hidden costs when you aren't validating check-ins, and streamlining your QA. You can easily wind up with endless QA cycles (i.e. sweeps), with no real game progress for the end user. Issues are constantly at risk of being verified open, then closed, and then later re-opened (eventually overwhelming even the best of QA teams with regression sweeps). Anomalies reported by customers (i.e. end-users who are in essence paying your salary) are delayed in being reported to QA. This delay unnecessarily increases turn-around time, adds needless process(es), wastes resources, and damages your product (and most likely employee morale).
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiel
What I have seen from Cryptic posts about their pipeline and what we have seen as end-users screams not just a pipeline/process issue with their QA, but as a whole.
  1. Old issues reappearing in my experience have either been a branching problem (either someone moving old data to new, or just bad structure) or someone not updating to the latest version before uploading their changes (which would overwrite the newer data with older data from the uploading user).
  2. Bugs reported through in-game methods are not handled by QA. Instead, they are filtered by Customer Support, and might get passed on to QA at a later time.

Both of these issues cost a lot of time and money. What is even more troublesome are all the hidden costs when you aren't validating check-ins, and streamlining your QA. You can easily wind up with endless QA cycles (i.e. sweeps), with no real game progress for the end user. Issues are constantly at risk of being verified open, then closed, and then later re-opened (eventually overwhelming even the best of QA teams with regression sweeps). Anomalies reported by customers (i.e. end-users who are in essence paying your salary) are delayed in being reported to QA. This delay unnecessarily increases turn-around time, adds needless process(es), wastes resources, and damages your product (and most likely employee morale).
It also damages the moral of players who bug report.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-08-2010, 08:19 PM
I've been doing alot of exploring in the D'kel Cluster.
The most notable thing so far..............
No bugs to report after 18 missions.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
I've been doing alot of exploring in the D'kel Cluster.
The most notable thing so far..............
No bugs to report after 18 missions.
Don't worry, the next sector will take care of that! Reported several in Eidon (or whatever it is called). Including hit-boxes for destructible objectives being underground, a whole lot more of empty Enemy Confrontation (space) and Defeat Invaders (ground) missions. I hit one chain of 4 bugged missions in a row.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Who wants to bet these bugs will still exist when season 2 is released?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-11-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
The road ahead is bleak.
Its clear there isn't a large enough team working on STO .
Change will be slow unfortunately.
I worry many won't have the patience.
i share your worries. But i also find myself thinking that cryptic just doesnt care anymore. We'll see
Lt. Commander
# 17 ya
04-11-2010, 09:45 AM
To the OP, these and many other issues were presented as problems w/ the system during the 1st weeks of testing, when they were placed on Tribble. Wasn't fixed then, doubtful it will be fixed now, especially since they don't even acknowledge the fact it exists, and released it in S1 in such a **** poor state.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
The road ahead is bleak.
Its clear there isn't a large enough team working on STO .
Change will be slow unfortunately.
I worry many won't have the patience.
And Im afraid im one of "them". I'm really thinking of canceling my membership to STO. I do feel kinda let down by Cryptic. I tried out Champions and liked it at first but it got really boring really fast. That is the same problem here. I might come back at some later time and play one of the two, if their are some major improvments. But their is no point paying for something for six months and not play it....In fact with that said I might not try out MMOS at all anymore because they have been having a bad record.

So with that said I'm going to spend my free time playing Empires Total War. No bugs, no fee and always changeing and challanging you.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
*yawn*

A few bugs in some insta-missions. If it's too weird I just beam out, drop mission, try again. I would rather get some actual mission arcs with Federation-like rewards. In the meantime make the PvP rewards better since that's all we have to do as Klingons. At least in the lower levels till you get a decent tier ship. K'tinga.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron-Eye
*yawn*

A few bugs in some insta-missions. If it's too weird I just beam out, drop mission, try again. I would rather get some actual mission arcs with Federation-like rewards. In the meantime make the PvP rewards better since that's all we have to do as Klingons. At least in the lower levels till you get a decent tier ship. K'tinga.
I think for most of us, it goes quite deeper. This content is what passes for acceptable quality for public consumption by a paying customer at risk of damage to the IP and companies involved (and all the tangled legal that could follow). What does that mean for the future? I understand the initial decision to make KDF PvP only at first. Short on time and resources - that decision alone probably cut almost half of the development time. Was it short-sighted? Yes, very much so, and will continue to haunt them.

As a result, Federation content is more robust which more and more people will gravitate to. This of course means more subscribers are on that side of the fence. Money obviously drives decision making, so more content for the Federation (which also means they win the balance war de facto). Thereby the cycle continues and the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" only widens. Kudos for attempting to bridge that gap in some small part for Season 1, but the quality of the delivery significantly sours the effort. (Yes, it really does feel like cut & paste code performed by an intern.) If I allowed content like that to ship on such a prestigious IP, I would expect to be terminated.